Working out barefoot?

Options
I don't wear shoes at home, they come off immediately upon entering my place (not because of the 'clean' factor, but just b/c I hate wearing shoes).

I work out at home doing the walk at home DVDs...is it bad that I would LOVE to not even both with shoes and just do it barefoot? Or is that risking an injury or something else that i'm not thinking about.

Replies

• kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Some people do it and say it's great. I tried for awhile and ended up with horrible plantar fasciitis and my heel still hurts a lot of the time. It really set me back.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    When I am doing my walk at home dvds, I never wear my shoes. I can't stand to wear shoes (except slippers sometimes) in the house. They track everything all over from the outside.
  • SARRY562
    SARRY562 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Good Question i do the same thing..
  • RMX983
    RMX983 Posts: 34
    Options
    I tried doing Turbo Fire DVDs barefoot one day and was injured for a week. Could barely walk. I don't recommend it. Natural walking/running motions while barefoot are fine, but jumping up and down, side to side, etc are rough on bare feet.
  • kimmy272011
    Options
    I agree I just said that at curves to someone but she said probably not a good idea.
    It feels good to me?!
  • jeff_lee4
    Options
    Shoes are very important when working out. You might not like them, but it helps absorb a lot of stress on your knees and feet, as well as gives you more mobility if you are doing more than just walking.
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I work out barefoot.....so far no problems........the shoes I have right now are too big....because I lost weight in my feet!! Which is a good thing...but now I have to go drop a huge $$$ on shoes!!!
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I think I will try to do them barefoot and see. It's just a pain to put on shoes just to take them off 30-45 minutes later. Plus if my daughter is napping in our room, I can't go in there to get socks etc or she'll wake up.
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I'm the same way - walk in the door and off come the shoes. I never wears shoes when I workout in the house, and I haven't had any problems. I actually move better without them.
  • glittersoul
    Options
    I never wear shoes when working out at home with the videos or even on my treadmill. I hate them also lol. So far I haven't had any problems. I think you are accustomed to going w/o them then it shouldn't be an issue.
  • poisongirl6485
    Options
    I tried doing Turbo Fire DVDs barefoot one day and was injured for a week. Could barely walk. I don't recommend it. Natural walking/running motions while barefoot are fine, but jumping up and down, side to side, etc are rough on bare feet.

Yeah high-impact stuff I can understand. The DVDs I have are quite low-impact, so I imagine it wouldn't be quite as bad as jumping around ,etc.
  • pkd1
    pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I never wear shoes when i workout at home, cant stand shoes on my feet when i work out i do wear socks tho
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I workout in little ankle socks...but my apartment in my livin' room is covered in cushion carpet...so far so good. I'm unsure about barefoot though - I'm a creature of habit :)
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    I don't wear shoes when working out at home, I do think there is the possibility of injury but isn't there always when you exercise x
  • xxquzme
    xxquzme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It is something that has to be done gradually. I started doing most / all my workouts barefoot about 2 months ago and just recently attempted to go back to shoes but couldnt. I really enjoy working out, and this includes running, barefoot. It strengthens your feet and forces you to use muscles that you normally dont while wearing shoes. I highly recommend it but i do offer words of caution. You can injure yourself if you are not careful.
  • poisongirl6485
    Options
    I workout in little ankle socks...but my apartment in my livin' room is covered in cushion carpet...so far so good. I'm unsure about barefoot though - I'm a creature of habit :)

Yeah our place is carpeted too, and I'm ALWAYS barefoot unless I'm going outside or to work, etc. I just can't stand shoes, they bother me.
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    I workout in little ankle socks
    thats me too x
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I can do simple workouts without shoes; yoga, beginner dvds, but workouts with lots of jumps, and constant movement (jillian) I have to wear shoes.
  • poisongirl6485
    Options
    It is something that has to be done gradually. I started doing most / all my workouts barefoot about 2 months ago and just recently attempted to go back to shoes but couldnt. I really enjoy working out, and this includes running, barefoot. It strengthens your feet and forces you to use muscles that you normally dont while wearing shoes. I highly recommend it but i do offer words of caution. You can injure yourself if you are not careful.

This is an interesting point. I have fairly low arches...I wonder if the muscles used when working out barefoot would help with that.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    If you're not having any problems so far and it's quite low intensity I don't see it as a problem. I wear them all the time though, if I don't I end up hurting my foot/ankles from all the jumping about, it's a great support to have footwear.
    I'd recommend them if you ever get anything more intense though.