Marathon support :-)

Liz75
Liz75 Posts: 80 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all!
I am doing a half marathon in May which I have done every year for the last five years, always finishing in about 1 hour 50 mins or so. I have entered a marathon in October, my running partners have completed it before. It is a very hilly one in Wales, very hilly! I must be crazy entering one which isn't flat but I am used to running hills in my local area.
So I'm looking for running MFP friends for encouragement and support, who may be starting out with running, or who are challenging themselves this year ( like I am) with a longer race!!;-)
Liz x

Replies

• sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Wow - your half marathon time is great. Good luck on your marathon training - and a hilly one at that. I hear Wales is HILLY!

I am currently training for Boston, which I hear is a challenging course. I have run several marathons in the past, but this one has me a little frightened. Partly due to the fact that I am not running as well as I was last year, and that the weather has been a real challenge, so have been doing treadmill runs.

When is your marathon? I am always looking for interesting places to run...Dublin is on my radar. :happy:
  • Liz75
    Liz75 Posts: 80 Member
    End of October, so it'll be in the rain, fog, hail etc! My friend ran it in 4 hours 20.. Under 5 hours will be my goal! And yes Wales is hilly, it's route takes you through Snowdonia National Park, which happens to have the highest mountain in both England and Wales! Obviously we don't go UP that, just close by!! ;-)
  • Ok, I'm a newbie on the running scene but I will encorage you all I can. My goal this year is to be able to run a 10k (eek!) LOL I have done 2 5k's but just too scared to tackle a 10k. I have an up coming 5k race in April with friends but I have a lot of work to do. Just ran outside for the first time since fall and did 12min per mile (ewe!) You on the other hand sounds like a real Pro!! congrats just for having ran a marathon!!! Look forward to seeing updates!
  • Hi girls,

I too am working towards a running goal. I have signed up for two halves, one in May and the other in June. Liz, my goal is to do the half at 1:50. I did it last year at 2:00. I turn 50 this year and really want to reach my goal. It is exciting to see other people on this site working towards their own goals. The Boston marathon is pretty much the ALL American marathon. I signed up for the Dublin marathon last year and ended up backing out due to injury. I too would love to do a European marathon before my body falls apart!! I just discovered MFP last week and am really enjoying this app. I am paying much more attention to what I am putting in my mouth and my family is recording their progress. I am so proud of them all. Good luck girls. :flowerforyou:
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    I'm running a hilly half this weekend and am scared like hell...being from Houston where its flat i've had ZERO hill training for this. Best of luck to you on your race!!!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Hi girls,

I too am working towards a running goal. I have signed up for two halves, one in May and the other in June. Liz, my goal is to do the half at 1:50. I did it last year at 2:00. I turn 50 this year and really want to reach my goal. It is exciting to see other people on this site working towards their own goals. The Boston marathon is pretty much the ALL American marathon. I signed up for the Dublin marathon last year and ended up backing out due to injury. I too would love to do a European marathon before my body falls apart!! I just discovered MFP last week and am really enjoying this app. I am paying much more attention to what I am putting in my mouth and my family is recording their progress. I am so proud of them all. Good luck girls. :flowerforyou:

Hi Lizzee,

I turned 50 in September and my goal for my 50th year was to run 5 marathons (1 for every decade). It was fun to have a goal and was such a great feeling when I ran them all and qualified for Boston at my 5th. :happy:
    Good luck to you on your goal - am sure you will reach it. BTW - I have never run a 1:50 1/2 marathon! I am trying to break 1:55. I was told if I could run a 4:05 marathon, I SHOULD be running a 1:50 half - but no....:laugh:
    Am going to enjoy hearing of everyone's progress. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.