Is anyone else working on sustaining rather than losing?

Options
Hi!

About three years ago I lost about 50 pounds. It's been a challenge to keep it off! At first I gained back ten pounds, then lost it, and now I seem to gain and lose 2-5 pounds over and over.

I recently got an Android phone and uploaded the myfitnesspal App. I love that there is a barcode scanner!! I wish I had this when I was losing! But, it's been very interesting to keep better track of my intake and I expect it will be very helpful around the holidays and other times when I tend to gain.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Any tips, pitfalls, successes that you'd like to share?

Replies

• pocketsam
    Options
    Hiya,
    I lost 14 lbs and started maintaining last Friday. I wrote about my first week today :) Not sure if that helps lol

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/pocketsam/view/first-week-of-maintenance-73241
  • ayilearnett
    Options
    Once I lose the weight I am trying to lose, then I will focus on maintaining. My body has laready seemed to reach a plateau. I guess for now, I am technically trying to maintain. I do love this app! I don't use the scanner, but the meals I choose are almost 100% of time in the database already.

Very cool!
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    We are being taught in my pre-op weight loss course...Dieting is not dieting any longer and that diets fail because people go back to their old eating habits... The course is a hospital course here in Los Angeles...The position of the behaviorists, doctors, and nutritionists is...a person must remain on the same diet for the rest of their lives maybe altering caloric intake but the consensus is not to revert back to old ways....
  • lefrance12
    Options
    remember the 2-5 lbs can be water weight which will always fluctuate... I have 3lbs to go and will be in the same boat, lol
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @ ChelDM That is SO TRUE! When I was dieting I was on such a rush when I met my goal that I immediately was eating all the stuff I deprived myself of!

Now I make sure to fit in some treats every now like birthday cake, etc., and then so I don't feel like I'm missing out. That seems to help keep me on track. Food is for enjoyment, too!

@ lefrance, yeah it could be water but usually water doesn't stick, you know?
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    We are being taught in my pre-op weight loss course...Dieting is not dieting any longer and that diets fail because people go back to their old eating habits... The course is a hospital course here in Los Angeles...The position of the behaviorists, doctors, and nutritionists is...a person must remain on the same diet for the rest of their lives maybe altering caloric intake but the consensus is not to revert back to old ways....

This is why I hate calling what I eat a Diet. I like to refer to healthy eating as my Nutrition Regime.
    That means it's life-long, not some silly starvation fad.
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am also maintaining. Remember that +/-2 lbs is considered within your maintenance goal. I have been working at this for 7-8 months now. It is sometimes difficult to stay within your goal weight. I just try to remember that it is a journey and a lifetime process..not just something you do over night. Best of luck :flowerforyou: :smile: