Martial Arts

zorbaru
zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
Anyone here do martial arts as part of their excersise?

i do 2 classes per week totalling around 2.5 hours.

i have been doing martial arts for near on 20 years now. i love it.

Replies

• I do the oldest martial art - archery. Then came bos and swords, then hand-to-hand combat, throwing, kicks, and such. :bigsmile:
  • Trovan
    Trovan Posts: 133 Member
    I want to do Kung Fu. No, not because of the new Karate Kid movie. I actualy took a Kung Fu class in college and loved it.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    This summer I hope to begin taking some Krav Maga classes. I'm looking through the various instructors in the area, trying to find the best one.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    I don't have formal study or training for long durations of martial arts, but it is enjoyable for me to learn about all kinds. I've learned a bit from Aikido, Shotokan, Muay Thai, and the all around basic Taekwondo when I was younger. My brother has learned the same bit of Aikido, and recently just got done with his part of Capoeira.

What field of martial arts have you been diligently training in, zorbaru?
  • 5-6 days a week from 1 to 3 hours a day!! :) Sure does earn you the extra meals to make up for burned cals.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    kempo and taekwondo
  • Muay Thai and the sweet science, boxing.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    I did taekwondo from age 12 to 18. I sure miss it! Looking to get back into it once I'm in a bit better shape.
  • christina_c_marks
    christina_c_marks Posts: 101 Member
    GoJu..for about 3 years now..two classes a week for 2hrs total. Love it. I love to spar! awsome stress relief!
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Tae Kwon Do when I was in high school and American Kenpo more recently.
  • zorbaru
    wow, more responses than i was expecting.

i did tkd from 9 - 18, got my black belt.

since then i have done shotokan karate, doing private classes now and nearly have black belt. have also done a few weeks of capoiera but wasnt a fan of the school, done a couple years of ICHF Combat Hapkido and got 6th Gup in that. And my main study now is a style called Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo Jutsu (www.ku-sa.com).
  • christina_c_marks
    christina_c_marks Posts: 101 Member
    I love doing it I just have such a hard time practicing out of class. Its like I need sensei watching me to give it my all. I love to work the heavy bag when my 1yo lets me!
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    did karate from age 8, but when I went to uni i quit the uni club within months, they awarded belts for anything, it really annoyed me. In my old club you really had to work for you belt (I was in the adult class from age 13), but at university they gave everyone a belt, twice a year, i mean there were people who had gotten three belts who still coudln't punch correctly. gives karate a bad name to be honest.
  • paulmmichaud
    paulmmichaud Posts: 59 Member
    Anyway do MMA? That looks really interesting from what I can tell it incorporates a little bit of everything. One of these days my goal is to take up some form of Martial Arts as well.
  • zorbaru
    MMA is such a broad term. personally im not a fan. however i do love UFC. however most of the guys you see in UFC have a grounding in traditional martial arts as well as time at an MMA gym.

The art i do covers a lot of the stuff you see in MMA anyway, with the dicipline of traditional karate and without the meathead mentality of a lot of UFC fans.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Anyway do MMA? That looks really interesting from what I can tell it incorporates a little bit of everything. One of these days my goal is to take up some form of Martial Arts as well.

The most common form of martial arts you will find in MMA is BJJ. Muay Thai is used a lot as well.
This discussion has been closed.