Gym Workout Machines

Hey everyone! I was talking to a friend the other day and he said the workout machines at the gym are very inaccurate as far as calories burned. He said you're only burning about a third of what the machine actually says....does anyone know if there's any truth to this? It doesn't seem possible, because with most machines, you can enter your weight/age and it also keeps track of your heart rate. I know machines aren't 100% correct, but I would be surprised if they were as inaccurate as he says they are. Any thoughts?

Replies

• kayla_larsen
    kayla_larsen Posts: 40 Member
    Hey everyone! I was talking to a friend the other day and he said the workout machines at the gym are very inaccurate as far as calories burned. He said you're only burning about a third of what the machine actually says....does anyone know if there's any truth to this? It doesn't seem possible, because with most machines, you can enter your weight/age and it also keeps track of your heart rate. I know machines aren't 100% correct, but I would be surprised if they were as inaccurate as he says they are. Any thoughts?
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    I am not sure what the truth is but when I work out, I always remember the calories burned amount and then go online and google it and do a comparison. I find that the gym machines are far below what the websites are saying (and both use your weight as factors). I always go with the gym figure to be on the safe side or maybe realistic side.
  • I'm not sure, but I have to believe that they are credible. I use the elliptical life fitness 95xi and it seems right. 1 hour = 600 plus cals for me every other day. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • Actually they are not that far off. I have worn a heartrate monitor that counts calories along with a stairmaster machine that only calculates weight/speed. In the end I don't recall the numbers being more than 50 calories apart.
  • i never thought of that....i have a hard time figuring out how to use half of those machines..haha :laugh: