Slimming down for bootcamp

Options
Im in the process of trying to lose what seems like a million pounds (95) because I want to join the military (Army)
I was hoping that there were some other folks in the same situation as me, just to kind of keep me motivated and keep the dream alive lol.

Anywho, anyone with any input would be MUCH appreciated :)

Thanks yall!

Replies

• mycrazyturtles
    Options
    Do you know that your local recurters will help you with this. They will work out with you and help you.
  • khillman77
    Options
    My husband is currently in the navy and may be getting forced out due to high year tenure and I was thinking maybe I could lose the weight and join myself.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your desire to serve our country!! My son had a few pounds to lose prior to boot camp. He did it with the help of his recruiter.

Have you talked to a recruiter to find out exactly how much you need to lose? Probably alot less than you think!

Good luck to you!!
  • Megthatgirl
    Megthatgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Id be slightly discouraged going now, so Id rather wait until Im at a more managable weight and have a little more running stamina before I try to PT with the big dogs lol

but thanks for the tip! The recruiter is still a few pounds down the road!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Well, best of luck to you!!
  • Megthatgirl
    Options
    Thank you for your desire to serve our country!! My son had a few pounds to lose prior to boot camp. He did it with the help of his recruiter.

Have you talked to a recruiter to find out exactly how much you need to lose? Probably alot less than you think!

Good luck to you!!

I need to get below 30% body fat, and Im roughly 48 right now.. in all actuality I need to lose 80 pounds, but Id rather try to go in with the advantage !

My mom was in the Army, and since she passed on, the thought of joining has always been in the back of my mind... Im just now confident and brave enough to make it happen!!
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    I was actually in the Guard. I had pre-rep training, as well as classes while still in college so was able to get in shape before Basic. You may want to try the local recruiting office and see if there are any training groups to get in shape. He may have some ideas for you. But you definitely want to be in shape before you actually go to Basic. Some people wait until Basic, and then they can't even pass the final PT test and get sent to a "special" area until they shape up or ship out!
  • amydcarlson
    amydcarlson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I spent 8 years in the Army Reserve, and was activated for about 2 of them. My best piece of advice: get good at running! Push-ups and sit-ups, too....but mostly running! Other than that, Basic Training is mostly a 9 week mind-game. :wink: You'll do fine!
  • Megthatgirl
    Options
    I definitely dont want to be in the porkchop platoon lol. Thanks :)
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I retired in 2008 after 25 years service in the forces (British). Use your goal to enlist as a positive focus in your mission to achieve your healthy weight range. Whilst doing so, as you get fitter, do some research and find out as much as possible about the training regime at boot camp - then, as you get fitter start to taylor your exercise routine in that direction, so when you apply, and maybe have a physical, you can fly through it. If you do this, and if you truly desire that goal, you will, you'll have no trouble getting the job - maybe you'll be the army PTI!

Regards, David
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    I definitely dont want to be in the porkchop platoon lol. Thanks :)

Haha. Also don't be in the "Girl who Hides Cookies in her Bra during Basic" Platoon!"
    You wouldn't believe what some people do in the Army - but I guess you'll find out!
    :drinker:
  • N_BEAST_MODE_24_7
    N_BEAST_MODE_24_7 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi, and thanks for wanting to join! I'll have 20 years of military service (Marine Corp and Army) in July. What branch are you planning on joining? Work on your endurance and cardio.. If you planing on joining the Army, practice doing push up and sit ups. Time yourself, and see where you stand and work on doing more reps every time you perform the exercises. Also time yourself in a 2 mile run and see how fast you can do it, after that practice on cutting your time down and getting faster. Basic training has change, therefore the standards for physical training (PT) has change from active duty ( you will do less during basic training, and more once you graduate and report to your new unit). Your local recruiter should be able to square you away. If you plan on joining the Marine Corp, work on doing pull -ups, crunches, and a 3mile run! Once again you local recruiter should be able to help you out. If you have any other questions please send me a note. One again thanks for wanting to serve and good luck!

Will
  • AMBrody
    Options
    If you have an iphone or ipod touch try using the Couch to 5k app. It will help you get started running 3 days a week. Be sure to stretch after each workout. Good Luck!
  • lnelson378
    Options
    I have been in the Army for 28 years. I have struggled with this for years. I recommend you exercise daily, eat right, and write everything down. When I say exercise daily, I mean work hard. I work out at least an hour a day, sometimes longer. Walk to work or the store. Ride a bike instead of driving. Do push ups, sit ups, and pull ups. If you can't do them to standard, do push ups on your knees, do crunches, and use the lateral pull down bar, but get working on it. Carry a heavy back pack when you walk. Use the stairs instead of the elevator.

The remedial PT Platoon is hard but if you want to soldier, it is the best way to reach your goal. People always groan when we have to run the PT test, but I love the challenge. I work in the Pentagon and when I have to go some where in the building, I walk all the way around the building to get there. I used to walk around the Iraqi bases when I was deployed just to get more PT. Always do things the physically hard way to do it, and you will make your goals. The more you sweat in peace, the less you will bleed in war.
  • Megthatgirl
    Options
    Hi, and thanks for wanting to join! I'll have 20 years of military service (Marine Corp and Army) in July. What branch are you planning on joining? Work on your endurance and cardio.. If you planing on joining the Army, practice doing push up and sit ups. Time yourself, and see where you stand and work on doing more reps every time you perform the exercises. Also time yourself in a 2 mile run and see how fast you can do it, after that practice on cutting your time down and getting faster. Basic training has change, therefore the standards for physical training (PT) has change from active duty ( you will do less during basic training, and more once you graduate and report to your new unit). Your local recruiter should be able to square you away. If you plan on joining the Marine Corp, work on doing pull -ups, crunches, and a 3mile run! Once again you local recruiter should be able to help you out. If you have any other questions please send me a note. One again thanks for wanting to serve and good luck!

Will

I was engaged to a marine, and I dont think I have what it takes to be the few and the proud.. 13 weeks of bootcamp and the crucible are enough to scare anyone off lol

Army was the branch my mom served in so I think thats going to be my route. If I break out all billy badass then maybe just maybe the marines will come into play lol..

Thanks so much :)
  • Megthatgirl
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input everyone!! Its much appreciated!!

I got this... I think :)

Meg
  • N_BEAST_MODE_24_7
    N_BEAST_MODE_24_7 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Lol, whatever branch you join, just do your best! Throughout my career I've always been selected to help soldiers lose weight/ pass their PT test! Apply yourself and NEVER QUIT!!
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My boyfriends in a similar boat, he wants to become a cop and to do that he has to go through a physical test. A while ago he landed himself in hospital and never got back his fitness. Although he keeps complaining about how unfit he is he rarely does anything so i am going to say to you what i say to him. It's your career and if you want it that badly you have to do everything you can to ensure you make it a reality. If you want to be fit go out every day or every other day and work your butt off and if you find yourself losing motivation just imagine what it will be like as a police officer (in your case in the army) and you will find the strength you need. Good luck to you xx
  • dsolgot
    dsolgot Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!! My husband had a bit to loose before he joined the Marines before he even went and talked to someone he joined weight watchers with his mom and lost 20lbs and then just watched what he ate and worked out and got down to his max weight, And then went in and I must say he came out a completely different person he lost another 20lbs by graduation day I HONESTLY did not even no which man was my husband when he ran past us on family day and about fell over when my in laws pointed him out as he was walking up to us lol. He did say it was tough but if you know that’s what you want to do and you have your mind and heart set you will do it. One of his female cousins who went to his graduation with us at the end of the day she said she knew that was her calling and joined almost a year later and she came out of boot camp a twig no joke if she turned sideways you could miss her, I was floored then too just to see how much that changes people.
    Best of wishes on both of your journeys!!!