PCOS and calorie intake?

Options
Hi! I have had PCOS a couple of months now and just am not seeing the exact results I want to see. MFP has my calories at 1380, but I recently read a book last week that recommended women with PCOS never go under 1600 calories with the right foods of course. So I guess my questions is, if it's healthy proteins and veggies is it okay to go to 1600 cals? I have been only doing the 1380 so I am kinda up for a change to see if it helps the process and my metabolism!

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You may want to try listening to your body--chances are if you are truly eating healthy low fat extra lean protein and lots of veggies--then your body may not want 1600 calories--don't make the 1600 calories be an excuse to eat more junk-- is what I am trying to say.

I had PCOS my whole life too--I find I am very carb sensitive, so I watch my carbs more than anything as you would be doing too, if you concentrate on protein and veggies.

Good luck to ya!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Well, if you're also exercising you should also eat those calories. My sister has PCOS also and has been eating around 1200-1300 for a while now, and is looking amazing!!! I've never heard of PCOS people being restricted in any way, just that they have trouble losing weight due to the crazy hormones!!!

Good luck! Listen to your body, it's the best judge of what you need!!!!
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS years ago - but have never heard anything about specific calorie limits for losing with PCOS. I have heard that you should limit carbs though. I started at around 1300 calories (am down to 1200 now) and have consistently lost since starting last July. I think you just to find what works for you and keep at it.
  • kirstinlee
    kirstinlee Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! =)
    I'm not familiar with PCOS, but I do know that MFP automatically builds in a 500 calorie deficit. And of course, the original amount that they subtract the 500 from is based on someone at your weight and height that has no medical conditions that effect weight loss/calories needed.
    The author of the book you read knows more about PCOS than an online formula, so I'd say try to up your calories for a few weeks and see what happens.
    The only thing I don't know is if the author meant that you should eat 1600 calories, or 1600 net calories -- i.e. what's left over after you subtract the calories you lost exercising. But I'm sure that's something you could find out.
    Good luck in your weight loss! :flowerforyou:
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    What book is this? I have never heard of this before. I have PCOS and from my research the importance is low carbs and proper carbs such as whole wheat instead of white. Also low GI. I was chatting with a women who has PCOS the other day who fallows a program close to Atkins. She says he does not fallow a low calorie diet at all because the food she eats is low carbs, low GI and low processed. She eats pretty clean and sometimes over 1600.

Do not be fooled into thinking that as long as you are eating 1600 calories you are good. They would need to be 1600 clean calories. 1600 junkfood is not going to do it.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    never heard of a calorie limit for pcos, but a carb limit is important for me. i try to stay under 100 grams. when i am paying attention to my carbs, the weight falls off easily (no matter what my calorie intake is). when i overeat on carbs it doesn't matter if what my calories are, i won't lose.
  • hlokty07
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I know I do take in too many carbs so I am going to strive to bring those down some and just overall watch my eating better. I usually only exercise 30 minutes a day, but I also think I am going to up this too! Hopefully it gets me results.