Under Calories

Options
aneajo
aneajo Posts: 287 Member
Is it safe to be under calorie? Unless I pig out, I will be second day under calorie. And that under the original, not counting exercise calories.

Im not hungry or weak or anything, Im just watching what I eat. Should I be eating more?

Replies

• kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    I am very curious about this too, because I have been under the last 4 days before workouts.
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You do not want to be under 1200 net. I had the same problem but I realized it is not a good idea. Try adding nuts and some fruits/veggies to your snacks. That is what I did and it seems to be working.
  • oxnina
    oxnina Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    as long as your not under 1200 calories, it is okay. 1200 is the minimum anyone should ever eat in a day.
    As for exercise calories, it's up to you if you want to eat them or not. If i'm really hungry i will. The only time i actually eat all my calories burnt is if i am going out for a dinner.
  • colleen1962
    colleen1962 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    hi, i try to stay under my calories, its seem like the only way i loose weight, i take a multivitamin, calcium pill and omega 3 daily. and feel great.
  • aneajo
    Options
    Ive been under 1000 and was pretty sure that wasn't a good thing.
    I will have some nuts tonight, that should kick it up.
  • bbonneau
    Options
    I have been having the same problem, too. My doctor told me that if you don't meet your minimum calorie requirement, you body can go into "starvation mode" and you will actually stop losing weight. I think if this only happens every now and then, you will stay on track. But if you make a habit of it, this could ruin your progress. My doctor told me that if I still have calories at the end of the day (when I have no appetite left and the thought of food disgusts me), try drinking a protein shake or similar beverage.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    there are a ton of threads about it. it can be unhealthy over long periods of time to eat under 1200 calories a day. I will usually have a couple days a week under 1200 then usually 1 day 200 to 300 above. so far it is working for me.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I am under 1200 a lot unless I work out. It makes me hungrier. I have read so many different articles and talked to a dietician about it. I was told that as long as on the days I'm not working out I'm OVER 1000 cal for the day I'm okay. I shouldn't make it a habit but it's okay for a few days in a row.
  • aneajo
    Options
    We are going out of town tomorrow and eating at Chuck E. Cheese, so Im sure I will be over, so I guess I won't worry about it to much.
  • SweetTooth68
    SweetTooth68 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine ever being in a position where I have to force myself to eat extra calories! lol
    I'm pretty sure about 4 potato chips would put anyone over the top!
    Joking. I know that's not a healthy way to fill up on calories......
  • sweeteme
    sweeteme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem - everyday this week I have been under the target calories. What are some healthly snack foods besides fruit?
  • LHarders
    LHarders Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem....I am rarely under calories....I have been on MFP since January and I am getting better...just proves I was putting way to much into my body. I have found if I stay very close to my goal calories and exercise is my best weeks of weight loss, so if you are more than a couple hundred calories under have a healthy snack. I have to say LOVE the GREEN tractor you are on we are farmers here in Nebraska with lots of green....was a stay at home mom for 14 years now the kids are almost all gone. Can I ask how do you stay under we raise our own beef too.....
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem - everyday this week I have been under the target calories. What are some healthly snack foods besides fruit?
    I keep almonds handy. Especially at night, they're a good way to get your calories up to where they need to be and not feel like you're eating a ton to get there.
  • aneajo
    Options
    I wasnt planning on staying under, I don't know how I did it. Sorry.

The tractor belongs to a farm my husband works at part time during the busy times. Planting and harvest.
    Some day we want to raise our own beef, right now we buy it from a local friend of my husbands. Not organic, but better than the store.
  • kanderson1776
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'm always under. The only times I venture over is usually on the weekends and that's when I'm going out to eat dinner, drinking good beer (not that 55 cal beer like I do during the week.) I try to keep around 1200 on all my days, even on the days where I work out. It's like it's a buffer, nice to know it's there, but don't want to use them and make that 30 minutes of elliptical time a waste. I keep trail mix handy at home...although that's also a weekness. They're like pringles, you can't eat just one handful! :)