calories for zumba

Options
internet says about 500 an hour.. however, "dancing" on mfd is only about 250 an hour.

how much do you think you lose doing one hour of zumba?

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    It really varies by instructor, class, your fitness, age, weight, etc. I usually burn 300-400 for one hr class or Zumba for Wii. DVD's I burn less. Get an HRM with a chest strap to know for sure. You can get at Walmart or Amazon - Polar is a brand that alot of MFPeeps like.
  • ashleyjea1985
    Options
    It really varies by instructor, class, your fitness, age, weight, etc. I usually burn 300-400 for one hr class or Zumba for Wii. DVD's I burn less. Get an HRM with a chest strap to know for sure. You can get at Walmart or Amazon - Polar is a brand that alot of MFPeeps like.

Awesome idea! heart rate monitor.. is just track calories by tracking your heart rate/?
  • chilloften
    Options
    The heart rate monitor tracks your heartbeat and gives you calories burned no matter what exercise your doing. It's very accurate. Like on my treadmill, I walk and it, the treadmill, tells me an average of calories burned. But it's not accurate and specific to me. But I look at my Polar F6 watch, wearing the strap as well, and it gives me accurate calories burned based on my heartbeats, weight, height, age, sex. Love that Polar- and its pink! Haha
  • fitnezrox
    Options
    Regarding Heart rate monitors:

You actually put in your age, gender, weight and height.......then the chest strap monitor and the watch link together to give you the results. I love mine, I never have to guess how many calories I have burned during any workout, it also tells me how many fat grams were burned and I can keep an eye on my heart rate so I know that I am working out at maximum capacity. Definitely worth the investment!!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Yes - get a programmable one for height, age, weight, sex and it tracks calories burned. I have the Polar F6 but it's a year old and the F7 and some others are newer.
  • Kelleinna
    Options
    I've got the Polar FT4... might be outdated slightly but it works perfectly well and you can get them for less than $100. I say it's a good thing. :-)