This has been the worst week ever

Options
I get sick. I get sick a lot. I feel sometimes like I was born without an immune system and should just live in a bubble. I have been sick the last 3 weeks. I had strep throat for about a week, got semi-better, and then somehow got croup. Croup!! Babies get croup. Adults getting croup is really bad :(

I hate getting sick. It ruins my entire schedule. I don't want to eat anything, I can't workout, I can't do anything but sleep. I've been confined to my house for the last 2 weeks. 2 weeks in the house!! The first week I was doing pretty decent...eating as well as I could, logging everything, posting on the forums. This last week, the sadness and depression of being sick has overwhelmed me. I stopped logging. I stopped drinking my water. I stopped caring about what I was eating.

Today I was walking through the grocery store and decided that since I had blown my entire week anyways, what was one more day. Nachos!! Nachos and chocolate milk would make me feel better. I grabbed my hand-basket and a case of diet pepsi that was on sale at the front of the store, and made my way to the cheese aisle. I grabbed a bag of shredded nacho cheese and tossed it in basket. I started towards the chip aisle. I cant even remember the last time I walked down there it's been so long. Still, I made terrible choices all week, so I figured one more day isn't going to make a difference. I passed the chocolate milk and grabbed a 2L...it wouldn't be enough to just get a single serving. Go big or go home, right? I should have just gone home. I kept walking to the chip aisle. I could taste the nachos...yup they were definitely what was needed to make me feel better. The guilt I felt was quickly rationalized with a "But you've been sick and you're sad. It's ok, no one will know. What's one more day?"

And then my pants fell down.

My pants fell down to my knees and my pink, granny-pantied @ss flashed the poor elderly man who was checking to make sure none of the eggs in the carton he grabbed were cracked. I'm not sure the crack he saw was the crack he was expecting.

My hands were full - one hand had the basket with the cheese and chocolate milk, the other hand was carrying the case of diet pepsi, and I was trying to balance my purse on my poorly postured shoulder. I had felt the jeans kinda shifting and working their way down around my hips, but I figured all it was doing was making my butt look a little saggy; I was only in a grocery store getting ready to pig out - who was I trying to impress? As soon as I realized I was about to drop my drawers I didn't have enough time to let go of what was in my hands to make a grab for the pants before they went AWOL.

I'm pretty sure it was microseconds, but I learned 3 things:
1. Time literally does slow down when you're mortified
2. Not wearing pants near the refrigerated aisles is extremely chilly even for a short period of time
3. Even when you're sick and it's a certain 5-7 days of the month, always ALWAYS wear good underpants

I grabbed my jeans, hiked them over my apparently-not-long-enough-jacket, gave the old man an awkward smile, and quickly shuffled into the canned goods aisle. Pants, safely back where they belonged, I started to laugh. Seriously? Did that just happen to me? I knew my pants were getting big, but I hadn't lost enough weight to fit into the pants that I outgrew when I put back on all this weight. At least I didn't think I had.

It clicked for me. All the hard work I put in over the last few months paid off. It was working. The working out 6x/week, the food logging, the healthy food choices, the forum posting...it had all worked. I WAS thinner. I DID lose inches. One more day WILL make a difference. I am sick, but I can still make the best choices I can every single day. I can still choose to eat an apple and not nachos. I can drink my water and not chocolate milk. I can let myself heal and get better and the gym will be there when I'm ready. It's not about all or nothing. It's about consistency. It's about consistently making the best choices my circumstances will allow me to make.

I reflected quickly on the week I had. On Valentine's day, two different men thought I was special enough to send 3 dozen roses and a box of chocolates to my office. The cute contractor who fixed the water damage in my condo a couple weeks ago texted me and asked me out. I put an offer in on a house and got an amazing deal - I'm going to own a home! I have a manager who is extremely understanding and let me work from home so I wouldn't have to accumulate sick days, and I can still get all my work done. I've lost 22lbs and it feel like just as many inches, in 7 weeks! I am looking good and my confidence is skyrocketing. Things are really going well for me. Does it suck to be chronically sick? Yeah it does. But upon further investigation I realized my lot in life isn't to terrible. My cup isn't half empty. It's not even half full. Its' overflowing.

I never made it to the chip aisle. I put back the chocolate milk. I put back the cheese. I may have scarred a poor old man and I may never be allowed back into that grocery store.

This has been the best week ever.

Replies

• MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Sweety, this should be a blog not a post...hilarious. Old fellow probably swallowed his dentures. I'm glad you had a good week even if you were mortified for a moment or too....making mental note to always were good underwear, thanks for the chuckle!

PS, go to your local health food or farm market and get natural honeycomb. The actual chunk of bee's honeycomb in the honey jar. Honey comb and the honey it marinates carrier an unbelievable group of natural antibody building stuff. Trust me. Cut off a 1"x1" piece everyday and chew it like gum till only the wax is left (10 minutes) spit the wax in the garbage and you'll be sick a lot less. My aunt was a healer, just trust me on this.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Sweety, this should be a blog not a post...hilarious.
    I'm glad you made it a post because I probably would have never found it as a blog... thank you for the story! It's inspiring, in a creepy way ;)
  • horizonsp
    horizonsp Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed reading u r post. Its funny but inspiring. reminds me how important it is to make good choices every time you eat.
  • CurlyTop97
    Options
    I loved this! It made my day. I totally have days where I'm like...."yesterday I ate horrible so why not have this chocolate chip cookie and a bowl of ice-cream? why not!?!?" But we all know that is only an exuse. I will NOT eat that chocolate chip cookie and i will NOT eat that bowl of ice-cream because it DOES matter! thank you for reminding me of this!
  • forttc
    forttc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When I first started reading your post I thought I can really relate to what you are going through. I spent most of the fall and early winter sick. I would start to get better and I would get hit with something else. That is what made me decide to start this weight loss as soon as I was well enough to do it. I'm now up to exercising an hour at times and I haven't been getting sick lately. I don't know if it's because of the changes but I hope it continues. I'm so glad to hear you didn't give up and that you have such a good sense of humor about losing your pants.
  • cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! my shorts fell down while playing just dance today. but i was in the comfort of my own home.
    '
    in a creepy way, your pants falling down can be such a motivator! to keep working hard, and to buy new pants!
  • jrevi001
    Options
    Haha great story! I will keep this in mind as I approach everyday. I had a bad day with the food battle today and I hope just like I decide not to blow the entire weekend because what is just one more day. As soon as I start saying that to myself I stop all together. One more day day turns into one more year.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing. CONGRATS on your weight loss. I will remember to wear good underwear always and to make good choices when I can.. You can do this
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Sweety, this should be a blog not a post...hilarious. Old fellow probably swallowed his dentures. I'm glad you had a good week even if you were mortified for a moment or too....making mental note to always were good underwear, thanks for the chuckle!

PS, go to your local health food or farm market and get natural honeycomb. The actual chunk of bee's honeycomb in the honey jar. Honey comb and the honey it marinates carrier an unbelievable group of natural antibody building stuff. Trust me. Cut off a 1"x1" piece everyday and chew it like gum till only the wax is left (10 minutes) spit the wax in the garbage and you'll be sick a lot less. My aunt was a healer, just trust me on this.
    Yep ditto great post and I know has helped me when I needed it. And thanks for the honeycomb tip, my daughter age 19 has and is still always getting sick.
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Stephie, you are so funny!! I'm sad that you're not feeling well these past few weeks but I'm happy that you've finally realized that all your hard work has been paying off. I wouldn't worry about flashing that old man, it was probably the best "action" he's seen in years!!!

Take care sweetie!

Carrie
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    AH thats great good for you!!!Thats a great story and it made me smile.:flowerforyou:
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Absolutely LOVE this post.....! I personally don't think it should be a blog or if there is any rules about how long a post should be...That person who said - Should mind their own business...!!!!! :mad:

I wish you a speedy recovery....:smile:
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I hope you feel better soon! I loved loved loved your post!
  • mountainwoman98
    mountainwoman98 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

It clicked for me. All the hard work I put in over the last few months paid off. It was working. The working out 6x/week, the food logging, the healthy food choices, the forum posting...it had all worked. I WAS thinner. I DID lose inches. One more day WILL make a difference. I am sick, but I can still make the best choices I can every single day. I can still choose to eat an apple and not nachos. I can drink my water and not chocolate milk. I can let myself heal and get better and the gym will be there when I'm ready. It's not about all or nothing. It's about consistency. It's about consistently making the best choices my circumstances will allow me to make.
    So happy for you sweetie
    What a great story! You gave me my giggle for the day...thanks
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    You made my day!!!
    (Note to self- check my underwear before I go to supermarket)
    What an accomplishment in losing weight!

ps. I hope you get better. Think of how awesome it's going to be when your not fighting an illness!
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Oh bb, I'm sorry but I LAUGHED. And then I retold it to my husband, laughing all the while. You're amazing. ;)

Honey comb and the honey it marinates carrier an unbelievable group of natural antibody building stuff. Trust me. Cut off a 1"x1" piece everyday and chew it like gum till only the wax is left (10 minutes) spit the wax in the garbage and you'll be sick a lot less.

^The old dude who owns the little bee farm where I buy my honey every summer is always telling me to do exactly this, for the record, and then forces upon me a jar of honey comb soaking in honey.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the breakthrough moment realizing that it pays off, and congrats on the weight loss, with regards to getting sick a lot try adding green peppers and well cooked mushrooms to your diet, eat at least 1-2 green peppers a week and at least 1 can of mushrooms a week it will boost the immune system immensely, exercise also helps out a lot also ditch the diet soda, its just as bad as the regular stuff if not worse. My wife ditched the diet pepsi habit and lost 15 pounds in 1 month, she was cranky as hell about it was ditched for good and now she has 50 lbs gone we are both into it for the long haul I dropped 21.2 so far. If you like omlettes add the gp and mushrooms to that for a great power breakfast.
  • MobiusMan
    Options

Yep ditto great post and I know has helped me when I needed it. And thanks for the honeycomb tip, my daughter age 19 has and is still always getting sick.
    it works particularly well with allergies and airbourn illnesses which is most of the crap we get from one another.
  • MobiusMan
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Absolutely LOVE this post.....! I personally don't think it should be a blog or if there is any rules about how long a post should be...That person who said - Should mind their own business...!!!!! :mad:

I wish you a speedy recovery....:smile:
    I said it in the spirit of preserving it so many more could read it not so it wouldn't be a post. I meant in addition. Stories like this are Gems and should be preserved. I really don't think my comment should have solicited such a Biitchy comment back. Not to mention it's already a post. Please use your mind before your mouth. Apology for your ignorance accepted in advance.
  • MobiusMan
    Options
    Oh bb, I'm sorry but I LAUGHED. And then I retold it to my husband, laughing all the while. You're amazing. ;)

Honey comb and the honey it marinates carrier an unbelievable group of natural antibody building stuff. Trust me. Cut off a 1"x1" piece everyday and chew it like gum till only the wax is left (10 minutes) spit the wax in the garbage and you'll be sick a lot less.

^The old dude who owns the little bee farm where I buy my honey every summer is always telling me to do exactly this, for the record, and then forces upon me a jar of honey comb soaking in honey.
    Truth...I haven't had a serious allergy or cold in 15 years.