BMR calculator shows lower calories than MFP tells me to eat

Options
I'm confused...MFP is having me eat 1940 calories a day, but the BMR calculator says my BMR is 1808. So to lose a lb a week don't I need to eat 500 calories less than the 1808, therefore 1308? Or do I just accept the number I was given. Also, how often do you update your profile? I did today after a 2.6 lb loss since I started (Sunday) and I lost 20 calories (which is fine). Do you change it with every loss?
Thanks!

Replies

• gina205
    gina205 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You should be eating the calories MFP tells you to eat. BMR is calories burned during rest with no activity. Not calories you need to eat.
  • amysambora
    Options
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression you need to eat MORE than your BMR. Your BMR is what your body needs just to survive. If you're eating less than that, you're not giving your body enough nutrition and it won't want to let go of your fat stores, thus hindering your weight loss. You need to be eating approx 500 less than your maintenance calories, not your BMR (and 500 is just a rough guideline).
  • kellsw
    Options
    amysambora - this is exactly what I have been wondering! MFP is telling me to eat 1200 cals, but my BMR is much higher than that (can't remember exact figure). If the BMR is what I need just for my organs to function, etc. then my daily calorie goal is confusing...

Really want to get this figured out!
  • hotmooglelove
    Options
    BMR is your Basic Metabolic Rate. Imagine you were in a coma, this is how many calories it would take to maintain your weight.

You don't want to eat less than this unless under a doctor's supervision.

A very large person can safely loose 6-7 lbs a week without approaching their BMR, while a much lighter person might have to stay in the 0.5-1 lb range. Keep an eye on your BMR as you approach your weightloss goal =)