HRM Question - when do you stop calculating?

Sherri71
Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
I just started using a HRM for my workouts. My question is do you hit stop to calculate calories burned as soon as you are done exercising or do you let it run for 15 minutes to an hour to see what you burn while cooling down? I burned about 475 during my workout and forgot to turn it off ...90 minutes later it was still calculating and it said I burned more than 600 calories.

Replies

• I stop it as soon as I'm done the workout so anything else burned is an "added surprise"!
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    I don't know what the right answer is, but I usually let mine go until my HR reaches below my target zone. So for me it is 130. which only takes a few minutes after I am done working out.
  • After the workout is done but I include the 5 minute cool down. We are also burning calories throughout the day and that's how MFP gets the daily caloric need. It's called the Basal metabolic rate (BMR) and it's the amount of calories you burn at rest. So don't count those, that's why it's important for us to eat because we are always expending energy (even when we are not at the gym). Hope this helps!

You can also wait until your heartrate is back down, but that won't take 90 minutes. It usually takes about 5-10 minutes.
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    I have been wondering this too! I have normally given it a few minutes to get my heart rate back down to a relatively normal level. Not sure if that is right or not though!
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    I stop it when my HR hits 125, which usually happens while i'm stretching.
  • rhiannon1979
    rhiannon1979 Posts: 166 Member
    I wait a couple minutes until my hr is out of the zone.
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    I let it run for about 2-3 minutes after I stop. Anything else is just an un-calculated bonus. :smile:
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    It doesnt take someone's heart rate an hour to cool down. I usually do but for only like 5 minutes or sometimes I wait until it gets down to under 120 and shut it off. Anything below that I can be getting from just doing my normal walking around which you don't count.
  • jawolfe
    jawolfe Posts: 64 Member
    as soon as I'm done stretching
This discussion has been closed.