I need your help!!

Options
I do not have a lot of weight to lose (15 pounds) and my BMI is just at the limit of the healthy range...so it's not so easy to lose this stubborn pounds.
I keep thinking that I can do it alone, and do it my way without having to count the calories...but at the end of it, I don't lose weight (at least I maintain it because I eat healthy), but I stress about it all the time!!!

I don't know what to eat anymore...low carbs, raw food, vegetarian?

Food is not so much a pleasure...it is soooo confusing.

I think I finally get it though: when I read all the posts here, it kind of makes it simple: calories in vs calories out
AND (the most important) the support of the community.

In general, I hate to depend on anyone, but for this battle, I admit it, I need your help.

I am sure that being accountable and having a group of people fighting the battle of the bulge with me will make it easier to keep on track.

So? Who wants to be my virtual partner?

Just in case, here are my facts: I'm 39, female, I eat healthy and do yoga and spinning (sometimes)
I need to lose 15 pounds at least but would be happy if I managed to lose up to 20 pounds.
Also, according to MFP, I am allowed 1380 calories / day ( I know...why not round it up to 1400?)...and I find it very hard to not go over that number...it's amazing how many calories are in food LOL!

So, I hope to meet new people and finally get the results I am aiming at.
Thanks!!!

Marilyne

Replies

• trimformecmb
    trimformecmb Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hi there---Have you thought about taking a diet hiatus???Maybe the stress of dieting is what is keeping the weight on??? Maybe not weigh yourself for a few weeks and just track food, but eat to feel full and happy. THen once food isn't so bad and you feel calmer, start up again? good luck!!! here for you!!!!!
  • etroupe
    Options
    Hi! I am with you I do not need to loose a lot of weight because I did the bulk of my weight loss before coming to MFP, I am within my heathy range but not at my happy weight lol. I do yoga and run for exercise and a little strength training on the side. I will love to be apart of your support circle cuz that is what I do best...Cheer other on! When we have so few pounds to loose it seems like it takes longer to see progress than if we had lots and watch others steadily loosing is a little discouraging some times but I keep telling my self to hang on..and so should you. Good luck!
  • sl0327
    sl0327 Posts: 14
    Options
    You are at a great place and a difficult place all at the same time! Congratulations n being where you are. I would give your brain a break from the scale and start to go with the calories in/calories out method alone for a while. Just focus on that and not weight. I create a deficit everyday (usually a BIG one), but still the scales are not moving. I am taking a break from the pressure I put on myself when I use scales and focusing on being healthy and in tune with my body. I just need the mental break from the "number", and maybe you could find some value in that as well?
  • Marilyne13
    Options
    Hello!
    to Fatchristine: it's funny...I didn't have a scale for 6 months ( i was living abroad from May until last november) and I didn't stress about my weight...I didn't lose or gain any weight during that time and i was fine with myself.

Then...I moved back to South Beach last November..and let me tell you...even if you feel good about yourself outside of Miami Beach, it is extremely difficult not to become obsessed about your appearance when you are surrounded by drop dead gorgeous people and you live on the beach.

I wish I could just give it a break, but summer is creeping in fast lol!
    In any case: Thanks for your support !

Etroupe: Lets team up!!!
    What did you do to lose weight?
    Twice in my life , I lost 35 pounds ( in one year when I was 23) and then 15 pounds (in 7 months when I was 34) with a low carb diet without counting the calories...but it doesn't seem to work anymore, and again, I feel I have no other choice than to be accountable for all the calories I eat :(
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I agree that stressing over weight loss could be making it harder for you to lose. That definitely happens to me. But it sounds like you're already half way there since you're already eating healthily. Now it's all about keeping track of the the numbers; calories in calories out. You'll get there!
    Anyway, I'd be happy to be your support group. Feel free to add me.
  • Marilyne13
    Options
    To sl0327

It's true that stepping on the scale every morning has a huge impact on the rest of the day
    (you all know what I am talking about...you feel horrible when you realize you gained 2 pounds...)
    I should just give myself two weeks of tracking calories and not step on the scale
    Lets see if I can do that

To miovlb6
    Lets team up too!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm in about the same boat. For me, focusing on a non-scale goal works. So I decided to become a runner. I've never been a runner before and up until a few months ago, the longest I ever ran was a half mile 20-some years ago in high school (and that was just to make up skipped gym classes!)

I started with the idea to run a Warrior Dash (www.warriordash.com) this June, and began the Couch to 5k program. I figured I'd need six months to be able to run that far. It's gone so well that I'm already able to run 5k and I'm signing up for other races before then.

With the focus on health, strength and endurance, the pounds are dropping, but I don't stress over them. Since I cut back majorly on packaged food (Betty Crocker was my BFF!), it's soooo much easier to keep the calories - and especially the sodium - low. It's amazing how much more you can eat when you make the stuff yourself. For instance, I made shrimp with pasta and a ton of veggies... it was easily twice the size of a Lean Cuisine, but at the same calories and half the sodium.
  • trimformecmb
    trimformecmb Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    could you add me to your "groupies?" :)....
    I have about 25 lbs to lose and would like to support others in exchange for that commoradary in return....
    Thanks all.......
  • Marilyne13
    Options
    To LorinaLynn
    I eat healthy and unprocessed foods most of the time...but I find it hard to stay within the calories limit...any quick and easy recipes to share?
  • sl0327
    sl0327 Posts: 14
    Options
    Hide it so that it is out of sight, out of mind! I am not suggesting that weighing is not good, but it is a gauge and a tool, and sometimes people lean SO heavily on that one number that they are ignoring the fact that they feel great and confident because of the choices they are making every day. I suggest it for your perspective and mental health!