Need Motivation to Workout

Options
I am having trouble finding motivation lately. I have been working 10 plus hours a day and I travel 1 hour each way to and from work. Could use some word of encouragement today. I have already put in 4 hours of work at my job and all I want to do is go home and jump in the bed..... help!!!

Replies

• DisneyMum
    Options
    Do you get a lunch break? Try and go for a walk on your lunch. I find it helps get through the rest of my day. The fresh air is great.
  • sl0327
    sl0327 Posts: 14
    Options
    I have found that it's less about motivation and more about commitment and discipline. You have to want your goals more than other things (ie. sleep). Remind yourself how great you will feel afterward. I work a FT job, a PT job, go to school PT and have a family, but my health is too important to skip workouts. So, crank up the tunes and go for it! You know you will regret laying in bed, but will be SO glad you got your workout in!
  • shamac
    shamac Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't give up or get depressed. Just think to yourself, 30 minutes aday, at least 3 times a week. You might not be able to do 30 minutes at one time, but do something even if its for 5 minutes. I work with special needs children and there are times that I take them for a walk(wheelchair) so that I can get maybe just 10 minutes walking time, just try real hard to work it in somewhere. Its your life, smile its a beautiful day
  • hairpleaser1
    Options
    I have that same problem, I am whooped by time I get home. I barely get enough time to eat right at work also. I have planned my meals for the day and I make sure I eat now. This app on my phone has showed me that it is not what I was eating it was that I wasn't eating enough and I have kept my body in fat storage for years. Now as far as us getting more active while monitoring our diet and working long hours here is what I do and I have not put it in my excercise diary.
    In between clients (I'm a hair stylist) I may go in the back room sit on a chair and start pulling my knees to my chest for as long as I can stand it. I also brought resistance bands to work and I do strength training between clients also. Stretching is another you can do, but slowly (kinda like yoga)
    When I am at home and winding down from the day I no longer sit on the couch I sit on the floor and I am constantly moving my legs around. I heard that figiting helps too, you know shaking your foot while sitting at your desk. Eventually you'll gain enough energy to get in the zone and make sure that you work out to burn off excess energy you may have.
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I know how it is to have a busy life. Although I don't work outside of the house, I have 3 kids to homeschool, I have cooking, laundry, and cleaning to do and that's on an easy day. I had to literally take the time out for myself because I found that my entire life was centered around everyone else. It took awhile for me to get the workouts in, but with a little trial and error and staying on the site, you'll be able to push through it. Don't try to overdo it, just start out with some simple workouts for a few minutes before bedtime and keep logging in. Your results will motivate you. Good Luck!:bigsmile:
  • caligirl86
    Options
    You are your own motivation... All I have to do is look in the mirror.. I WANT IT TOO MUCH. I DONT want to let myself down... I want to be healthy.. For me I also have a husband I want to live a long life with and an adorable little girl that I need to keep up with.. Healthy lifestyle= Happy lives... Find a photograph that makes you want it. Put it on your fridge or even better... Next to your bed.. I'd feel guilty getting into bed and seeing that.. Add me as a friend if you need more. I will try daily to push you.
  • johanneleger
    johanneleger Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just aim for shorter workouts. You'll be able to push yourself to do it if you just aim for 10 or 15 minutes a day. Do a different body part each day, with some days just doing cardio. I know what's it's like to have long work days. That's it, 10 or 15 minutes, then you can jump in bed. You can do this. Besides, you will feel like the day has just melted away by doing this. You'll go to bed much more relaxed. Be strong.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've found the only way to get and stay motivated is just to push yourself to start exercising. Once it's a habit, you'll want to do it and won't need the extra push. But it's getting started that's the hard part.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I find that when I'm losing motivation or having trouble getting started working out again, it helps to schedule in an activity that happens at a set time. If I just vow to exercise in the morning, I don't always do it, but if I commit to something specific at a set time, say an 8:30 am pilates (or whatever) class at the gym, something about it being on a schedule that I don't control helps me to get there. And getting there is the battle for me; once I'm at the gym, I often end up adding on to the workout after the class is over. If you're not a member at a gym, I've also found that committing to some kind of program helps to keep me on track. I just started the C25K program a couple of weeks ago. I joined a group of people on MFP who were also doing it and checking in with them and the fact that it's a set program already laid out for me helps because I feel like I have to keep up.
    Everyone is different. You just have to find what works for you. But don't stop looking until you do.