Frustrated at Plateau - help wanted!

Options
I have been fighting with the same two pounds for the last month and a half. I gain a pound, I lose a pound. I am currently at the weight where I usually give up, call it good enough (comfortable in my size 14's) and quit. But I'm still not in the "healthy" range for weight or BMI and i REALLY want to do it this time!

Any suggestions for breaking this plateau? What has worked for you in the past?

Replies

• M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    have u tried varying your calories everyday? i think they call it zigzagging. i did it this week. i had 1200 one day, then 1300 etc and managed to lose 3lbs. might work for you.
  • tinkerbell1964
    Options
    so i read your profile , and you sit at the computer a lot , what exercise do you do a day ?

before joining MFP my only exercise was walking , but i bought myself a stationary bike which i use daily and i've dropped 6 lbs since the 10th Jan
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Trying increasing your water intake and decreasing calories by eliminating or limiting sodium intake should help as well as cutting out the sodas, sugar, and white flour. Increase your vegetables and fruit and physical activity. Change up whatever exercise you are doing. You are doing great so far 13 pounds down is amazing! Measure yourself, you could be building muscle. You will be surprised how many inches you can lose while you are not losing in pounds. The main thing is to not give up. You can do it!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it can be as straightforward as eating more fruits & veggies, dairy & water. I've been fighting a plateau too, but I find focusing on those things usually helps.
  • sevangelista
    Options
    I am days away from 48 and after losing 27 pounds I spent nearly 45 days up and down the same two pounds...then finally I broke through it. I did change up the mix of foods...I actually started eating a bit more...but I was getting those extra calories about 150 with vegitables and berries...then I did a heavy exersice blast...and lost of water...

Remember... we are biologically wired to store fat...and the fast failures and dieting many times have improved this nasty capablity. From reading your profile...you want to live longer and better...so just keep at it and you will reprogram your body over a long period of time.

You mentioned mechanical issues with your body...not sure if that makes it hard to exerciese, but if you ask this great MFP population for ideas with limitations...you will get tons of them

good luck and stick with it
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Trying increasing your water intake and decreasing calories by eliminating or limiting sodium intake should help as well as cutting out the sodas, sugar, and white flour. Increase your vegetables and fruit and physical activity. Change up whatever exercise you are doing. You are doing great so far 13 pounds down is amazing! Measure yourself, you could be building muscle. You will be surprised how many inches you can lose while you are not losing in pounds. The main thing is to not give up. You can do it!

I agree with this post 100%...I lost more weight in one month once I really started getting water in and cutting sodium down. I also changed my workouts up and that worked too...Don't give up...
  • phitme
    phitme Posts: 124
    Options
    Take a look at both diet & exercise and see where you can shake things up. Eat different foods, change up your workouts and see if that helps you bust through.
  • scrapdreams
    Options
    I do a 1/2 hour yoga program 4 mornings a week - I consider that mostly stretching. I get to the gym 2 or 3 times a week where I'm doing treadmill and strength training. I have had to take the exercise part very slow because I've been in physical therapy for both my back (herniated discs) and my knees (chondromalacia).
  • scrapdreams
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments! Keep 'em coming!
  • tinkerbell1964
    Options
    I do a 1/2 hour yoga program 4 mornings a week - I consider that mostly stretching. I get to the gym 2 or 3 times a week where I'm doing treadmill and strength training. I have had to take the exercise part very slow because I've been in physical therapy for both my back (herniated discs) and my knees (chondromalacia).

so you're finding it hard to burn calories then :wink: