Need Bicycle Advice

Options
Hi everyone! My husband has been bugging me for the last two years to get some bicycles. My biggest hold up is that I don't know what kind to get... and I'm scared to spend the money without having much knowledge of the subject. We're not really in a position to spend a ton of money on them - especially not knowing how often we will be riding. I'd just like something to get us through a few years of moderate use. If this is something we're really going to commit to then we can upgrade as the need arises. So, these are the things I'm looking to purchase:
His/Hers Mountain Bikes
Something to attach to the car (05 Dodge Magnum) for transporting
Child Seat (We have a child trailer already)
A nice comfy seat!

I'd really appreciate any and all advice or feedback of favorite products or even ones to avoid!!!

Replies

• toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My husband has been bugging me for the last two years to get some bicycles. My biggest hold up is that I don't know what kind to get... and I'm scared to spend the money without having much knowledge of the subject. We're not really in a position to spend a ton of money on them - especially not knowing how often we will be riding. I'd just like something to get us through a few years of moderate use. If this is something we're really going to commit to then we can upgrade as the need arises. So, these are the things I'm looking to purchase:
    His/Hers Mountain Bikes
    Something to attach to the car (05 Dodge Magnum) for transporting
    Child Seat (We have a child trailer already)
    A nice comfy seat!

I'd really appreciate any and all advice or feedback of favorite products or even ones to avoid!!!

I'm curious to read others' input, I'm in the market for a bike myself.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I love my Diamond Back Girl's Mountain Bike. It comes with a comfortable seat & you can find the other things that you are looking for at any good quality bike store.
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite blogger just today made the perfect post to answer your question.
    She started, brand new and fresh, and has been blogging about it for about two years.
    Today she wrote a recap of her first bike and what it meant to be a beginner.
    (I'm thinking you don't want a mountain bike. why drive a lifted 4x4 to drive
    to the park. Think: honda accord of bicycles.)

http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2011/02/pashley-princess-retrospective-from.html

It is really a lovely blog, she has great pictures. Some of her earliest posts she
    is asking (and answering) some of the same questions you have. Good luck.
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The bike you are looking for is known as a hybrid. They don't have the big chunky tires of a mountain bike but provide a comfortable seating position. Many have shocks and are adjustable to increase comfort. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good bike.

I suggest you look at http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/hybrid_bikes.htm

Good luck,

Victor
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Watch garage sales, police auctions, etc and you can get a good bike for really cheap. Another reason I say this is because I am really hard on bikes, so I don't feel bad about breaking a $20 bike. As far as seats are concerned, you can always get a bigger / comfier seat at Wal-mart for less than $20. As for the type of bike, it depends on where you plan to ride:

1. if it is road, cement bike trails, only on nice days, out to ride for the sake of riding etc.- look for a road bike. These have the skinny tires and are light.
    2. if it is more dirt trails, - mountain bike with wider / nobby tires, usually a sturdier construction, but are also heavier
    3. leisure ride, take in the scenery - hybrid bike

I would say go into a bicycle shop and ask them about different bikes and they would probably let you try them out (at least sit on them). As far as kids seats are concerned, I believe you can get one for any bike, though I'm sure the kid would be more comfortable in the trailer.

My favorite kind of bike is the 27" road bike because it is fast, light, and very efficient where as a mountain bike makes you work a lot harder, but that is just me.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do yourself a favour and go to a bike shop, they'll measure you accurately so you get a proper fit, whatever style of bike you decide, be it road, hybrid or mountain.
    Avoid at all costs the department store bikes, they DO work just to get you around but if you're going to enjoy it for a few years put a bit of quality into it, it's much more fun to get on a proper fitting bike and go for hours, I've done 50 mile rides in an afternoon, even doing half of that on a department store bike was feeling like torture!
  • SoFLYFireman
    SoFLYFireman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I was in the exact same situation about a year ago. I bought a roadmaster from walmart.. cheap bike after waranty only spent around 100. I've gone mountain biking on some tough trails, and also use it to ride up and down the road. I bought it to see if i would use it enough, and still havent gotten the money up to buy a super nice bike. I've had one problem when the gear shifter came out of place on a trail and got it fixed for $15. Definitely worth it if you're just starting out. Not the most comfortable seat in the world, but a $9 seat cover fixes it perfectly. Cant beat that deal for starting out.
  • organa42
    Options
    Hi there, I am an avid bike rider and I love Treks and Cannondales. For tooling around you can get great hybrid (can go on or off road) from Trek for not that much money and you wont have to worry about it falling apart. They are also much lighter than store bought bikes. I would definitely stay away from department store kind of bikes. Good luck.
  • tonykozak
    Options
    my advice is to buy a good quality brand. i have a trek hybrid, kinda like a mountain bike but with road bike tires. easier to pedal and a lot lighter in weight. i also got rigid frame with a shock absorber in the seat post, a nice option. but the most important aspect is go to a reputable bike shop and get fitted for the bike, frame size is a huge factor in comfort. i got fitted for this bike and found that for years i was riding a bike too big for me, hard on the shoulders,arms wrists and back from being hunched over too much. proper fit also makes you much more efficient when peddaling.....good luck
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Trek bikes are very good! They're a big brand company and sell to both males and females. I have a trek mountain bike and it's awesome even my bf is looking into purchasing one for himself
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I just started seriously riding last year so I bought my first mountain bike. It's a Kona and I love it. I bought it on sale from a very reputable bike shop. I then went to Canadian Tire and bought a gel seat cover. It really depends on what you plan on using the bike for. A bike shop will help you out. Most of the people who work there are avid bikers. Even if you don't buy one there, go get educated. The stock boy at Walmart might not be useful. Get your info (size of frame, style, etc) then go shop around. Even looking on Craigslist or kijji will help keep the cost down. Good luck! Biking is an awesome hobby!
  • VictoriaMilanowski
    Options
    Thanks everyone! We will definately go to a bike shop and talk to the folks there first! I appreciate the advice!