Diary Entries

Options
I'm going to give up my weekly weigh ins for Lent. With that said, for 40 days I will have to be very precise about what I eat. I usually cook at home probably 95% of my meals. When you are looking for whatever it is that you ate, do you find something similar in the database or create your own food?

Case in point, I made French Toast this morning. I found an entry already there which was 356. I did the math in my head and mine was closer to 340. And I actually threw out the remaining mix since I only wanted 2 pieces. So lets just say it was 300 flat. I don't think that quick calories are very beneficial simply because whoever reads your diary will not know what it is you're adding. And the point of making your diary public is to help those around you, I thought.

So....what do I do? Round about guess or spend the time adding what I actually ate?

Replies

• kalypso18
    kalypso18 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would imput it as a recipe. I do this a lot for things I make regularly like pancakes from scratch, spaghetti sauce etc. I can usually find the brand of ingredients I am using on the database. this way everyone still knows what exactly you ate.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I would imput it as a recipe. I do this a lot for things I make regularly like pancakes from scratch, spaghetti sauce etc. I can usually find the brand of ingredients I am using on the database. this way everyone still knows what exactly you ate.

this is exactly what I do - I don't add my recipes to the database (since they are specific), but it really helps me to stay precise with my calories. Case in point, today I made pancakes (my home made recipe) - I usually make 6 out of a batch... today, I actually measured out 1/3 cup of batter per pancake. I made 9, making them 155 cals each (instead of 200+) and I was full on 2 even though they were much smaller than my normal batches.

And sometimes, I think people just estimate the calories when they input stuff into the database, often low-balling the estimate (there is no way a home made pancake is 70 calories - I just can't imagine how small it would be or what it would be made of!).

Good luck re: Lent!
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! I'm so glad you're giving it up for Lent with us!!! I create recipes and add each individual ingredient to it. I save it just for myself. It's a great tool to use so you know exactly what your eating and how much of it you can eat!. I would try it for one recipe and see how it goes!
  • BakingGranny
    BakingGranny Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You are so very special. I still don't know how to put in my recipes into the database. But my daughter does. She's gonna show me. So for lent,I take it the weigh-ins are what you're doing instead of some kind of food. Good girl.
  • BakingGranny
    BakingGranny Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    BTW when does Lent start?
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind the your diary is first for you, than for others. So the question is, "Which approach is most going to benefit you/?" I tend to try to be as exact as possible, but I don't get obsessive about it. Most of the foods I eat are listed in the database. When I can't find what I'm looking for (e.g. when I eat Chinese), I tend to use the commercial restaturant equivalent (e.g. Panda Express). It works for me because often times the commercial equivalent is higher in calories so it keeps me honest.

God Bless!

Shawn
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Lent starts March 9.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Giving up weigh-ins for lent. That's a fabulous idea! I think I might do that as well because I definitely weigh myself far too often (and I've already given up all of my food vices)!
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options

March 9 the day before my birthday ....biting nails until then lol.

My have 2 issues with adding my recipes. One I do mfp mainly through my phone and it takes a while to add all of the ingredients. And two I'm not a cup measure kinda girl. I do it till it looks right. Last night I made some marinara which I haven't done in forever so I added as I went along. And it turned out great. So I guess I'll just wing it and hope for the best lol. Thanks everyone!