Calling All Dancers: Calf Pain - Help!!!!!!

Options
I am turning to the community to help my poor aching calves!!!

Three days ago I attended my first Scottish Country Dance class - which was a blast - I loved it ... it was an excellent workout and I love the history and culture behind it.

Everyone warned me that I would be feeling it in the days to come. I have practiced some of the dancing before - but only 30 to 40 minutes at a time. That night, I danced over two hours.

Luckily, I have no pain in my arches or ankles, but my calf muscles are really seized up. Our instructor told me to do some range of motion moves to loosen up before getting out of bed, and that really does help.

On a side note, I went ice skating yesterday - which was a bit of an exertion, but I didn't think it was too much. I only thought that by today I would feel much better. I am not unused to physical activity, and I'm hoping that because the pain is so localized there would be some exercises or stretches that would alleviate my discomfort.

SO... My instincts say to just push through this, just warm up well before any exercise... does this seem right?

Also a question: Are there any dancers out there who have any tips to share with this newbie? (The foot work is very similar to ballet and ballroom) Or any exercises you would recommend?

Thanks in advance for reading this post and any advice you'd be willing to give!

Cheers!
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• findngme
    Options
    i'm not a dancer but when i joined the gym they gave us a personal trainer for our first three workouts and he said to never push through the pain. you should always let your muscles rest to prevent strain. he also said the best stretch for calf pain is to cross one leg in front of the other then bend down and let your head and hands dangle to the floor for 30 seconds, then switch legs and do it again. you may know but you should always alternate days for upper and lower body workouts too. hope that helps some and feel better soon!
  • fink21061
    fink21061 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Im no doctor here but when I had that problem ben gay was a life saver. And most people dont like the smell so they have unscented. I kind of like it though. Reminds me of my grandmother, god rest her soul. But it really helped. Also I know when I get charlie horses if I up my potasium it helps. Maybe try that by eating bannanas. My doctor suggested that for charlie horses and they stopped. Just a thought.
  • cmrich0511
    Options
    I took (and taught) dance classes for years, and the calf thing is pretty common. Make sure you do those flexing exercises several times a day, and when you warm up before dancing do them as well. Also, some things to help strengthen your calves (and alleviate some of that pain) is to do plies' (a ballet type squat, just much prettier), and releve (go from standing flat footed to raised up on your toes). Both of those will strengthen the calves and warm them up. Additionally, if you go to the gym, check out the seated leg press machine. That is traditionally used to strengthen thighs, but when I do my strength training on them, I do flat footed leg presses, then I use only my toes to get my calves too.

And make sure to drink lots of water... staying nice & hydrated helps too :) And potassium helps for crampy bodies (bananas).

Happy dancin'!
  • castlesintheair
    Options
    Whenever I have calf pain (or any other muscle pain really) there are a few things I do:
    Soak in a bath with Epsom salt
    Put a heat pack on it (then stretch the muscle)
    Drink lots and lots of water!
    Eat bananas, cranberries and cherries

If it's really bad, resting the muscle for at least a day or so really helps. If your calves still hurt the next time you want to dance or work out just make sure you are really warmed up.

My favorite stretches for my calves are flexing and pointing my foot, rotating the ankle, put your weight in one leg then completely straighten your other leg with the back of your heel on the ground then switch legs. A really good stretch is standing as if you were about to do a lunge but bend your front knee and put the weight in your back calf.

I hope it feels better soon! Happy dancing :smile: