Required Protein Levels

Options
What is the required ratio of grams of protein to body weight to INCREASE muscle, while losing fat?

Replies

• carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think it's usually about 0.7 to 1 gram of protein per pound of target weight. For example, if you were aiming to be 200 pounds, you should try to consume 140 to 200 grams of protein a day. Hope this helps!
  • jaysvw
    jaysvw Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to bulk up you should ideally consume no less than 1 gram of protein per pound of target weight. Most bodybuilders will tell you though that 1.5 grams is the best for muscle gain. If you are trying to build muscle AND lose fat you will need to monitor your calorie intake carefully.
  • ElGatoGrande
    Options
    Thank you both! Now: ...Any idea how to modify the MFP Food Diary to acept higher protein levels?
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    It is 1.2g protein per kg body weight.

take your lbs of body weight, divide by 2.2 and multiply by 1.2.
    This calculation I got from my college courses in nutrition and exercise physiology. Hope it helps.
  • ElGatoGrande
    Options
    It helps very much, thank you! Know anything about fat intake? (how much)

Lowell:glasses:
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Lowell-

Carbohydrates should be around 58% of your caloric intake- that being said it needs to be complex carbs coming from fruits/veggies and whole grains

and fats should be around 30% of your caloric intake- saturated fats no more than 10%

Good luck!