When does it just become habit?

Options
I feel like right now I spend all day and night just thinking about what I am or will eat, how to work out that day etc. When does it stop feeling like work and become your every day life?

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    People say it takes 21 days (3 weeks) to form a habit.
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 3 weeks is the time that they say it takes for something to become a habit.
    I find that for me after I've done it for a month it becomes easier.
    I think everyone is different.
  • SiousxieSioux
    Options
    mmmmm - I think it generally takes me longer than 21 days!!
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I dunno guys, I've been at this for 4 months, and I still find myself having to think about it. Although, it has become somewhat easier.
  • PhoenixFire975
    Options
    It could take a while for you to get used to it. Actually, you can't really count your cals for the rest of your life, but I have read about people that learn what to eat so that they don't have to constantly log all of their food and exercise. I think you should try to make it more fun for yourself instead of thinking of it as work, otherwise you might not want to keep going. Good luck to you though:)
  • Corinne_Bruce
    Options
    I agree, I started out working out for 21 days straight and haven't looked back since. It's been a full year now of working out and it is a habit, like brushing my teeth. I also created a workout schedule with check boxes, which add extra motivation because is shows I can stick to a goal. Send me a message and I can send you a template if you want.
  • CJis
    CJis Posts: 11
    Options
    :ohwell: I'm still trying to figure it out lol. If I figure it out I'll let ya know.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    The 21 day myth relates to 1960s research looking at how long it takes amputees to get used to the loss of a limb.

I think it's funny how often people quote something as fact without having the faintest clue where the original statement comes from and how it relates to a completely different subject area.

http://www.spring.org.uk/2009/09/how-long-to-form-a-habit.php
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I think that "every day life" is work, at least for me. You make your bed, you clean up the house, you take care of your family, do shopping, do the laundry, go to the office, cook meals, pay your bills, etc. For most people, that is everyday life and involves work, unless you have somebody that does it for you all the time.

With respect to eating healthy, watching your weight, and exercising, unless we change our frame of mind and how do we see these things, it is always going to be "just work."

For me, is a work in progress toward a better and healthier life style, and I take responsibility for it. I see the results and I like it, so now it is part of my everyday life.

But I admit that I wouldn’t mind if somebody would measure, weight, and prepare all the meals for me once in awhile, since I don't like cooking, but since that is not going to happen, any time soon, I "JUST DO IT."

Take it one day at the time, and it will became easy.
  • barberella
    Options
    For me, it probably took a solid week to really convince myself to NOT do it. It starts with your mindset, and I knew after a week, that I had to do it. I felt my energy level go up and just all around knew the guilt would overwhelm me if I didn't do it. So now after 6 weeks, it's an everyday habit. I think the key is to also change up your routines. I do a variety of different activities to work out. That helps it from being mundane. And with it getting warmer, only more activities are going to keep it interesting.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I dont know how long it took me but there is a point where you go from being person dieting (counting your calories), to a person obsessed, to a person that Is just living it.

As a person thats done this for 14 months straight. I have to say I still think about it. Is it a habit? absolutely. The exercise is more of a habit than the food/eating. If I dont exercise I get grumpy. I want to go exercise. I need it.

However; I still think about my caloric intake and weather or not I can sneak in a cookie or some other treat. I always have to be wary of fools who think breakfast starts with a box of donuts at work. It becomes less of a learning phase and more of a just knowing and living it. I wouldn't say its actually a habit.
  • rebawagner
    rebawagner Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much you LOVED food before... I think of my friend who is a recovering alcoholic and he has to think about his choices in EVERY social setting. He has been sober for 7 years now but there are still times he has to "work" at it to stay on track...I don't think of myself any different other then my addiction is food!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    well.. you have habit while you're losing, but then when you hit maintenance, it all changes again. took me about 1.5 years to hit the losing habit. Haven't hit the maintenance habit yet!
  • Corinne_Bruce
    Options
    Actually I'm a behavioral researcher and there a numerous studies that back up the 21 day habit claim. I also agree that you have to change your mindset before you even start.
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I kind of relate it to an allergy. I have a gluten allergy so there are many foods that I have to stay away from or I feel horrible for a number of days afterwards. I tend to think that the foods I should be staying away from (diet wise) would do the same thing and make me feel horrible as well.
  • rachpiper720
    Options
    I've been on here for 7 months, and it has taken me that long to finally get in the "losing habit." It think it starts with one small change at a time, one baby step towards healthier choices. If try and do it all at once, it gets really tough. Just change one small thing at a time like increasing workout minutes. Once you have that down, then switch out for healthier food options. Eventually it will become easier to incorporate more into your life. Its like eating an elephant (or losing one in my case); one bit at a time!