oatmeal

Options
I would love to eat oatmeal for breakfast since it is so good for you but does anyone have any suggestions on making it taste any better?? I made it this morning anf thought it tasted terrible by itself. My sister puts an egg on top of it so I tried it that way and YUCK! Any thoughts??

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I like to put an apple (cored, but not peeled) and some pecans or walnuts into a food processor and chop them up super small, and mix that with one serving of oatmeal. It's VERY filling though, so if you don't like to eat much for breakfast you might be better off doing just half an apple.
  • Impala007
    Impala007 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I make mine w/ a tbsp brown sugar and make it slightly runny .Not the most exciting, but goes down pretty easy. straight oatmeal is mighty bland.
  • oaraico
    Options
    I GET IT PACKAGED, BROWN SUGAR FLAVOR. ITS 160 CALORIES PER PACKET AND IF YOU PUT MAYBE HALF A CUP OF MILK THATS ANOTHER 60 CALORIES AND ITS SO YUMMY AND FILLING
  • ronchap
    Options
    I use fresh blueberries or a bannana even blackberries and one splenda. Sometimes if I want creamier I'll use 1 tbs of my wife's coffee creamer
  • mountainwoman98
    mountainwoman98 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I like to put some pecans or walnuts in mine. The list of things you can add to oatmeal to make it taste good are endless! Here are a few:
    honey,banana,splenda brown sugar,dates,dried cranberries,apples,any kind of berries...anything really! Just think of something you would like in a muffin and toss it in there.
    Oh yeah...I have added a tablespoon of my protien powder too for a creamier flavor. I also add flax seed too sometimes to boost the health value and add a little nuttiness.
  • leighclayton
    leighclayton Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You might want to try steel cut oatmeal. It is soooo good and not mushy. I add raisins and cinnamon to mine. I had a bowl of regular oatmeal the other day and couldn't believe how bland it tasted. Steel cut has a nice nutty taste.
  • dkiles
    dkiles Posts: 45
    Options
    I add splenda, blueberries and ground flax seed. The flax is very good for you and has a nutty flavor.
  • Monica_in_MO
    Monica_in_MO Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Add 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, 1/2 of a banana (mashed) and 1 teaspoon of honey. Delicious!!
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal almost every morning -- here are some of the ways I eat it:

Chop up an apple and microwave it for about a minute with cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger to taste. (Nuking it makes it both softer and sweeter.) Then stir in your cooked oatmeal.

Add a couple of spoonfuls of pumpkin -- you'll need a bit of sweetener along with that (honey, brown sugar, whatever) -- and cinnamon, etc., to taste.

Stir in almond or peanut butter and a banana or berries -- and every now and then I'll throw in a packet of Swiss Miss 25 calorie cocoa! (My favorite combo: almond butter, Swiss Miss, and really fresh blueberries!)

(For all of the above, sweet variations, sometimes I'll top it with a bit of slivered almonds.)

Stir in scrambled eggs & a good dose of salt & pepper -- and maybe some vegetables you'd normally put in an omelette. This is a bit weird, but I'll do it if I've been over on sugar lately and need to tame my sweet tooth! It helps if you think of it like eggs with oatmeal rather than oatmeal with eggs. =)

(One more thing: I use Coach's Oats from Costco. They're steel cut, but pre-toasted so the flavor is even nuttier, and they cook super fast -- four minutes in the microwave!)
  • karriecook
    karriecook Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i was wondering what made steel cut oats different. thanks for the good suggestions.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I love adding a scoop of chocolate whey protein powder to mine!
  • 0flynnstone0
    Options
    I added a half cup applesauce, a tablespoon of milled flax seed and half a scoop of vanilla protein powder to mine, and it was delicious!
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    sugar-free maple syrup is good in oatmeal. Maybe not as healthy as some choices...
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I love experimenting with add-ins for oatmeal:
    Brown sugar, cottage (just a little for protein), sliced almonds, blueberries, cinnamon, maple syrup, cinnamon, honey, granola cereal, skim milk, lite cool whip, peanut butter, bananas, peaches, whey protein powder

There are also prepackaged oatmeal packets from Quakers. They have a "Weight Control" brand as well as a reduced sugar line. My favorites are banana bread, blueberry, cinnamon, maple and peach.

I hope I helped!
  • lisaloo85
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • 1986kate
    Options
    I love oatmeal pancakes for breakfast.

1/2 cup oldfashion oatmeal
    2 eggs whites
    cinnamon
    vanilla

mix everything up and cook pancakes over medium-low heat until golden on both sides. I use fat free spray 3 sec spray on pan so it doesn stick.

Its delicious!;)
  • Rosie02
    Options
    I make mine with lite soy milk, 1/2 a banana, and a tsp. of peanut butter, It is amazing!
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I use Kashi Go Lean oatmeal packets. They are tasty and super low in sugar. I also top it woth some blueberries or strawberries and use milk instead of water.
  • ColorfulSouls
    Options
    I make mine with almond milk and water. Then I add a bit of light maple syrup, but I love to experiment! Just put s/f jelly in it or some nuts.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I make mine using 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 almond milk. While it's cooking, I slice a banana really thin into it and whip it into it while its cooking. Comes out sweet and creamy every time. :) And of course topped with pb and berries is always good.

Sometimes I add sugar free maple syrup in while its cooking or throw an egg white in to cook into it. (I swear it does not taste bad. Ha, just changes the texture a bit in a good way..)