No Weight Loss So Far...

KellyUNF
KellyUNF Posts: 1
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
I am really frustrated because I have not seen ANY weight loss so far...It has been about two weeks since I started my exercise and diet plan. I am currently doing the INSANITY workouts (same company who does P90X) and I can tell you I have never sweat so much in my life! I know that I am burning a ton of calories. I have also been decreasing my calorie intake and have come in under my calorie goal almost every day. I know that there are certain foods that I don't know the EXACT calorie count for, like when I go out to eat, but I can get a general idea. I had a kidney transplant in December and I am finally feeling better than I have in years. Before the transplant I was 103 pounds and now I am 110! This is more than I have ever weighed in my life! I know it may not sound like a lot but I am only 5 feet tall so that is a lot of weight for me. After the transplant I had to be put on an anti-inflammatory steroid called prednisone whose side effects include increased appetite and water retention. I know that this has probably been a factor in my weight gain but I think that I should be seeing at least a pound or two come off at this point! My boyfriend says that it has a lot to do with gaining muscle and that I will probably gain a little weight before I lose any because I will be building so much muscle. I don't know how accurate this is, but I am just very frustrated! Yes, my stomach is starting to look a little flatter but it is hard for me to recognize weight loss unless I see the numbers on the scale going down. Anybody else have this experience or have any advice??

Replies

• CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    I would recommend measuring yourself - sometimes the weight doesn't come of in pounds but in inches. Contrary to belief about muscle weighing more than fat its untrue. 5 lbs of fat is 5 lbs. of muscle but muscle is leaner (hence your stomach looking smaller, your getting muscle)
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    you have so little to lose for one thing. another is that you may want to take measurements.
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    I would recommend measuring yourself - sometimes the weight doesn't come of in pounds but in inches. Contrary to belief about muscle weighing more than fat its untrue. 5 lbs of fat is 5 lbs. of muscle but muscle is leaner (hence your stomach looking smaller, your getting muscle)

Agreed. Welcome aboard! Also it's a lot harder to lose weight when you are on the lean side.
  • Check your measurments you mat be losing inches instead of lbs. If so the lbs will come off soon.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Only 2 weeks? Don't worry, give it sometimes. I just talked about the same thing with my trainer, and she said it most likely my body is adjusting, and changing composition. I believe she's right, because I've noticed that I can fit in my old tighter pants better for the last a couple of weeks (stopped lose pounds, it goes up/down last a couple of). I'm going to have my trainer measure my fat %, and waistline in 3 weeks, and see how it goes.

Keep doing what you do, make sure you are eating balanced healthy food, and give your body time to recover. Enjoy a healthy lifestyle! It has been giving me lot more energy since I started this 1 month and 1 week ago.
  • ladybu6205
    ladybu6205 Posts: 165 Member

the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" is meant that by Mass or the amount of space that it takes up, muscle weighs more than fat. For instance, a pound of lean muscle will be a lot smaller than a one pound sponge... Everyone knows a pound is a pound... you just have to look at it as the difference in composition and how much space it takes up.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Haha, 5lbs of muscle is the same weight as 5lbs of fat. When people say muscle weighs more than fat, that's not what they're saying. Muscle is much denser than fat. They're saying that an equal area--say, 5 square inches--of muscle weighs 3x as much as the same area of fat. So when you replace fat with muscle, the size goes down, even though the weight might stay the same.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    103lbs....and you are now 110lbs!

People on this site would be honoured to weight in at 110lbs...!

It's only been 2 weeks...Give it sometime...have you lost inches? :laugh:
  • lahzay
    lahzay Posts: 22 Member
    I definitely understand your problem, I've been on my diet/exercise plan for 20 days and haven't lost any weight, but I have felt somewhat more toned in some areas. So I think you just need to continue doing what you are doing and the weight loss will come eventually =)
  • NYGoddess77
    NYGoddess77 Posts: 146 Member
    I agree with taking measurements. Being that you don't have much fat to lose concentrate on gaining lean muscle. Muscle burns fat. I'm doing Insanity as well. I am on the last day of week 3. I don't follow the insanity meal plan that consist of eating alot of bread and grain type carbs. I consume only whole fresh veggies raw and steamed, root veggies, fruit with the least amount of sugar and fish like tuna, salmon, cod, pollack mackaral and lean cuts of meat, poultry.

I track my CARBS, PROTEIN, SUGAR, POTASSIUM and SODIUM intake.

SUGAR: this is your enemy i have mine set to 30grams (most should come naturally from veggies and fruits with less sugar
    like Grapefruit, mixed berries, strawberries etc...

CARBS: I have mine set to 50 grams but veggies are free foods (I will consume more on workout days in the form root veggies)

SODIUM: 2500mg or less try to keep it as less as possible

POTASSIUM: always 1000mg more than your sodium intake ( this will help regulate your blood pressure) Foods high in potassium
    Brussels sprouts, Grapefruit, Sunflower Seeds, Almonds, Potatoes, Cod fish, Flounder, Salmon, Sardines
    Lean Turkey, Lean Chicken and many of the the Green Leafy veggies and colorful ones too.

FAT: Should only be 20 - 35% of your total calories consumed (saturated fat should be no more than 10% of the total fat)
    Healthy Fats are: nuts, seeds, avocados, coconut oil, olive oil, fish, flaxseeds(meal), Papaya fruit, Cantelope

CHOLEST: 300mg or less much less

PROTEIN: 100+grams of Lean meats and healthy fish and try to get a protein powder with 0 grams of sugar and 2 grams of
    of carb per serving...I use OPTIMUM NUTRITION's Hydro Whey Vanilla flavor...tastes awesome
This discussion has been closed.