Advice from runners

Options
hi,
I want to start running properly but I'm a bit scared :blushing:

I've never been able to run properly but really want to train for race for life in June which I'm doing with my mum (I did it last year but walked).

SO any advice on clothing, footwear, how far to start off with, how not to be out of breath in 2 seconds etc would be gratefully recieved

Hannah

Replies

• justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Google C25K It is the perfect running program for beginners. I used it and loved it!
  • dawny78
    dawny78 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    O0OO0O GREAT topic i'm new to running an finding that right pattern and motivations is hard thanks for that link
  • CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    C25k is definitely a great place to start!

http://www.c25k.com/

As far as shoes, I recommend getting fitted at a specialty store for running shoes. If not Asics or Brooks is a great brand of running shoe.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I started and followed Danny Deyer's ChiRunning, my attitude was I'd never been a runner and it was a blank slate. There were lots of books on how to run faster or distance, but I wanted to learn form. I also like Scott Fitzgerald books, such as Brain Training for Runners.
  • im2spooky4u
    im2spooky4u Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to a sports shop with professionals to fit you with a good running shoe, e.g. Footlocker, Adidas Shop, Nike Shop...etc. Yes, it will be a bit pricy, but for a first time runner, you should get a proper fitting for your running shoes. My hubby has been running for years and just used cheap Walmart/Kmart running shoes or ordered whatever was on clearance from Eastbay, then he went to an Adidas store and was fitted with a pair of running shoes... WHAT A DIFFERENCE! He ran better and felt better afterwards.

I would start using the Couch to 5K plan. They also have a phone app that guides you through it. I will be starting the C25K this Spring when it warms up enough to use run the bike trail.

Good luck!
  • sweetasiam
    sweetasiam Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good shoes are definitely the place to start. However, I would go to a running store for them instead of a large chain if possible. They'll be better trained to look at the shape of your feet, watch you run in the shoes you are trying and outfit you the best for your body mechanics. Also, a lot of running stores have running groups and classes that might help you get into running.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I agree that Couch to 5k and Chi Running are both good. And so is getting fitted by a specialty running store.
    Reading Born to Run by Christopher McDougall inspired me to run for the fun & joy of it.

I think what has also helped me with running is to not care (too much anyway) about my pace and just enjoy the act of running. I am a super slow runner but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it.
  • bad6402
    Options
    Go to a specialty store for running shoes and have them fit you. I suffered from shin splints when I first started running, once I got fitted, they stopped and haven't had them since. As for breathing, I breath in for 3 counts, out for 2. This prevents you from exhaling on the same foot(when exhaling we tend to exert more energy), preventing injury. Don't be afraid, just be smart. Do as much research as you can. Sign up for a few 5k's in the months to come, and increase the mileages you are running gradually every 2 weeks
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to a sports shop with professionals to fit you with a good running shoe, e.g. Footlocker, Adidas Shop, Nike Shop...etc. Yes, it will be a bit pricy, but for a first time runner, you should get a proper fitting for your running shoes.

Makes a HUGE difference. Definitely do that!

As far as getting started, my wife (who does half-marathons) and I both started with intervals. Run 2 minutes, then walk 1. Then, increase to 3/1. Then, 4/1, etc. Eventually you'll build up endurance and distance. Don't get discouraged but make sure to push yourself!! Good luck!
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    When I started running years ago I read this book: http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Runners-Handbook-13-Week-ebook/dp/B00387154C

Like everyone else, I also advise you to go to a specialty store and get fitted for the perfect pair of running shoes. And then just take it slow. Too much too soon will only leave you injured and/or discouraged.

Have fun!