Spinning?

Options
I'm chatting with a friend on MSN and she said spinning is good for thighs... i know almost nothing about excercise so can you help me? I want to slim down my thighs...that's where most of my wiegh is

Replies

• DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I'm chatting with a friend on MSN and she said spinning is good for thighs... i know almost nothing about excercise so can you help me? I want to slim down my thighs...that's where most of my wiegh is
  • DKREECE
    Options
    I love spin classes!!! It is good for your thighs, butt, legs all the lower parts. It is great cardio and I am told that you burn 800 cal during one class. (50 min.)
  • DBranchaud
    Options
    the classes that my college has is 30 minutes..that's still good? My friend and i where thinking about signing up
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Cycling is great for toning the thighs and calves. My legs are looking great since I"ve been cycling. I need to lose a lot more on my thighs but you can see my muscles now when I flex them even under the fat still there.
  • DBranchaud
    Options
    I can't ride an actual bike because of an inner ear problem and I used to have horrible asthma as a child but I should be fine if the bike is stuck to the floor. Very low chance of me toppling over
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Same principle. Especially spinning. I had bad asthma as a child, too, and my lung capacity is reduced by 25% because of it. Cycling is one thing I can do though. But spinning is great. You'll love it! Join our cycling gang--spinning counts!
  • DKREECE
    Options
    It's really fun. You will be suprised. Working out can be fun.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I took my 13 yr old daughter to a beginners class this morning. We only did a bout 20 minutes of actual riding. Since I was the only one there who had actually done a class before that was fine. They spent the first part showing everyone how to set up the bikes. I think next week I will take her to a full class.

It is great exercise you will burn lots of calories. Start slowly and just push yourself a little more each class.
  • rosiesantos7
    rosiesantos7 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
  • arjames82
    Options
    Spinning is my FAVORITE cardio exercise. I do it at least 3 times per week and it is great for toning the hips and thighs. Since starting spinning, the cellulite on my thighs has done a disappearing act! I usually burn between 850 and 950 calories in one hour (per my Polar HR monitor).

Two suggestions...
    (1) don't let the butt pain that you will experience during (and after) the 1st class scare you away. It takes about 3-4 classes before the seat stops bothering you so if you stick with it, it will pay off. oh, and don't waste your money buying gel pads for the seat...it doesn't help:laugh:
    (2) if you plan on taking spinning on a regular basis, invest in cycling shoes. when I first started, i was cycling in my regular shoes, and i was experiencing a lot of foot and leg pain, especially in the balls of my feet and my shins. they're a little pricy (about $100) but well worth the investment if you plan on sticking with it. actually, spending the $100 is what keeps me going 3 times a week...i need to see a return on my investment

Happy Spinning:bigsmile:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Spinning is my FAVORITE cardio exercise. I do it at least 3 times per week and it is great for toning the hips and thighs. Since starting spinning, the cellulite on my thighs has done a disappearing act! I usually burn between 850 and 950 calories in one hour (per my Polar HR monitor).

Two suggestions...
    (1) don't let the butt pain that you will experience during (and after) the 1st class scare you away. It takes about 3-4 classes before the seat stops bothering you so if you stick with it, it will pay off. oh, and don't waste your money buying gel pads for the seat...it doesn't help:laugh:
    (2) if you plan on taking spinning on a regular basis, invest in cycling shoes. when I first started, i was cycling in my regular shoes, and i was experiencing a lot of foot and leg pain, especially in the balls of my feet and my shins. they're a little pricy (about $100) but well worth the investment if you plan on sticking with it. actually, spending the $100 is what keeps me going 3 times a week...i need to see a return on my investment

Second all of this. But, I burn considerably less in my classes (about 400 in 45 minutes).

I would add to the above that padded shorts/pants do help with saddle soreness. (not your butt, but your. . .tender areas:wink: )

Also. . .make the resistance knob your bestest friend to get full results. Don't let the bike move your legs for you.:flowerforyou:
  • MarineBugler
    Options
    I must be the only person on the planet that does not enjoy spinning :grumble:

Wish I did though... it's a great way to burn up all those calories.

Good luck && more importantly HAVE FUN :flowerforyou:
  • DBranchaud
    Options
    I haven't gotten a chance to sign up yet. So darn busy with college classes and all. Plus company came over on the weekend and I ate two big meals and gained 2 pounds......ughhhhh.

We have an indoor track in the athletics wing...I'll go have a nice long power walk before my first class today. It's 10 o'clock right now and it doesn't start until noon.

I also wanted to check out the equipment gym but I have no idea what to do with any of the stuff. :blushing:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Ok, here is my question... can someone explain spinning to me a bit? I know in cycling jargon spinning is maintaining a 90-100 rpm cadence on a bike as opposed to the 40-60 rpm that most people use.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    It's group stationary cycling class.

The goal of the class is to simulate road biking. The bike has a "resistance knob" so you can change the feeling of the bike from a flat road to a hill, to a very steep hill.

The bike is very different from a standard stationary bike. The class is done to music, and a good instructor will keep the bpm of the music to coincide with the pace of the type of road you're simulating.

Just like any other class, the instructor is very important. There are lots of crazy spin instructors out there doing this that could be harmful/injury-inducing (IMHO) But, if you can find a good class, I think it's one of the best things going.

I would love to actually bike, but I live in the city, and I just don't have the nerve to dodge buses, streetcars, car doors and traffic. So, I spin.:flowerforyou:

Hope that helps.
  • tall_t
    tall_t Posts: 251
    Options
    I just started spinning about a month ago, and I LOVE it!!!

I burn about 470 calories a class...per my Polar. I also had asthma but omg I feel so good afterwards!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Hmm, think I'd need a gym membership to take the class? Will gyms let you sign up a la carte?
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    I know at the Y you used to be able to buy a "ride card" for classes. Also, some gyms just let you sign up for spin (you buy a package every few months). . .it might be worth some phone calls. A lot of college gyms offer it as well. ..

Sorry, I'm a spinning missionary. . .I think everyone should try it!

http://www.spinning.com/facility_search.asp?custsearchcountry=CAN&custsearchtype=2

here's a link to find a class near you! (no pressure. . .:tongue: )
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Hmm, think I'd need a gym membership to take the class? Will gyms let you sign up a la carte?

The fitness center I go to does punch cards for water, spinning, yoga and some other jazz. Check around you might just find exactly what you're looking for!:drinker:

Here's to hoping.... btw....YOU ROCK with all your hard work on getting healthy...you're incredible!:drinker: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :drinker: Luvin my water!:tongue:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the heads up...I'm thinking of taking a Intro to Spinning class on Sat. morning after my water aerobics classes ...sometimes it's just so darn hard to fit in all I want to try!:noway: :drinker:

Two suggestions...