Treadmill OR Elliptical

Options
I was wanting to know what yall like the best or think is a better workout??? I had a treadmill and went to take it back to walmart to get another of the same one and well they didn't have it....so I got an Elliptical...was wanting to know if its a good machine to use and will I lose weight on it.

I done did my first workout on it and did 20 mins. I was up to 50 mins on 2.5 mph on my treadmill....but within not even 10 mins not going fast at all I was sweating! I feel like I'm getting a better workout with my Elliptical but wanted to know what yall thought?

Replies

• MelanieP1978
    MelanieP1978 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The Elliptical is what I am using and getting results fast. I am not a treadmill fan tho, so that made the decision easy for me. I look forward to working out every day!

Melanie
    :flowerforyou:
  • KimieEgger
    Options
    I don't have equipment in my own home. But I use both machines at the gym, and I very much prefer the Elliptical... I have actually strayed away from the treadmill almost all together :)
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    The elliptical burns MORE calories in LESS time and is low impact...It's my favorite workout!! The treadmill is good too, but it's nice to burn more cals!!
  • Dmonique85
    Options
    I consistently burn more calories on the elliptical. The treadmill is boring to me now...but I will use it for a light walk when the weather sucks & I'm not trying to over do it. :)
  • Shannon7713
    Shannon7713 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical and LOVE IT. Its helped me lose almost 30 lbs.... Its a great workout and you burn a ton of calories.... It is also better for me (esp when I was heavier) to not run on the treadmill/outside..... the impact of 222 lbs on my knees/ankles was HORRIBLE. Thats just my opinion!! Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • liberty741
    liberty741 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I personally like the elliptical trainer a little bit better because it's easier on your joints. There's not as much pressure on your knees and feet that way, so you are less likely to be injured. I think you made a good decision! If you get bored with the elliptical, you can always switch things up and go for a walk outside.

I am sending you a friend request, we are at the same weight! :-) Good luck!
  • Tabsabs
    Options
    Both forms of exercise are great because you are moving. A couple pros and cons to think about...
    The treadmill is harder on your knees, which could hinder workouts in the long run. Whereas the elliptical is made to be smooth on the knee joints. On the flip side, the elliptical is known for jacking up its calorie counter to make it seem as though you burned more calories than you actually did, whereas the treadmill is much more accurate. If you ignore the calorie count on the elliptical (i.e. I burned 500 calories so I can eat this brownie) , then it is probably the better choice.
    Hope that helps :)
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    The treadmill is a better workout, but it's important to vary your exercises. You will adapt to it over time, so you should also plan on doing a variety of exercises/sports in the future as well as the elliptical. Walking, hiking, basketball, whatever.
  • workoutqueen628
    Options
    Oh, I feel quite the opposotie- I feel like I don't even sweat on the elliptical! But maybe I don't have the resistance up enough. I love running, so I'm a treadmill person. I recommend you also try the AMT machine or the precor arc trainer. Great machines and in my opinion, harder than the elliptical.
  • KourtneyLee
    KourtneyLee Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was wanting to know what yall like the best or think is a better workout??? I had a treadmill and went to take it back to walmart to get another of the same one and well they didn't have it....so I got an Elliptical...was wanting to know if its a good machine to use and will I lose weight on it.

I done did my first workout on it and did 20 mins. I was up to 50 mins on 2.5 mph on my treadmill....but within not even 10 mins not going fast at all I was sweating! I feel like I'm getting a better workout with my Elliptical but wanted to know what yall thought?

For myself, I prefer the elliptical, but that's only because I really don't like running :P
    I find that depending on the elliptical, I definitely feel my leg muscles working and getting tired, so I know the machine itself is working. I have the luxury of using all of the machines on campus while I'm at college, and the machines here are pretty nice and high-tech, so it works. I like to use the "fat burner" setting on them, it really gives me a work out!

HOWEVER, it IS good to do a little bit of both if you want the best results. I usually do a half an hour on the elliptical and then at least 20 minutes on the treadmill in one workout, or going back later to do it. The great thing about newer treadmills is that you can put an incline on them, which really works the back of my legs.

Overall, I think you're fine with your elliptical machine, but since you couldn't find the treadmill you like, you could always try running outside or going to a gym/borrowing a friends for the best workout.

Good luck!
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I think its actually best to use both. But the elliptical is great for when you are heavier because you will burn more calories because its easier to do more than what you would be able to on the treadmill. Once you are smaller you will burn a lot more calories from running. Its just hard on your body to run everyday so I would use both which is what I do.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    The elliptical burns MORE calories in LESS time and is low impact...It's my favorite workout!! The treadmill is good too, but it's nice to burn more cals!!

I agree. Its nice seeing the higher calorie burn but I personally use both. I don't want my body to get too used to doing the same thing over and over so I switch back and forth every other day. And with any exercise will have to amp up the exercise as you get stronger and you don't have to exert as much effort for the same workout.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Love the Elliptical.
    A bad ankle makes the dreadmill a nightmare....gotta be good to my bones :laugh:

I use an HRM when I get into those long strides (legs AND arms) & burn, baby burn...the dm doesn't come close.
    It's soooo much smoother a ride :tongue:
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Make sure you use a HRM when on the elliptical or do not trust the calorie count it is giving you. They are incredibly inaccurate, I have found. They tend to over-estimate how much you are burning much more than treadmills do!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Treadmill my feet go numb on the elliptical. I've read the board here, it's more common than I thought.
  • maaalloryy
    Options
    I do both. You can burn a lot of calories on both machines. I found that I burn more calories than the elliptical & treadmill say with my HRM. I would go with whatever makes you feel like you're getting a better workout. But remember to switch it up every once in a while!
  • reinergirl
    Options
    I like the elliptical better ! I feel like I get a harder workout :)
  • ErinJ1981
    Options
    Treadmill!! I do HIIT on it and LOVE it!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I think its actually best to use both. But the elliptical is great for when you are heavier because you will burn more calories because its easier to do more than what you would be able to on the treadmill. Once you are smaller you will burn a lot more calories from running. Its just hard on your body to run everyday so I would use both which is what I do.

Agreed. I also use both.
    As you took back the Tread I would suggest a walk/run outside when the weather permits and the elliptical for the other times. I love the elliptical for the variations it provides (increasing resistance, speed etc...) without the pressure on your joints. When I was benched from running this fall with a hip injury I was actually able to increase my endurance using the elliptical with out the pain in the hip that running gave me. Just a word of advice- consistently increase your resistance and your time to get the most our of your workout if you're at level 2 and can go 20 minutes, tomorrow do 25 when 25 is easy peasy increase to level 3, wash rinse repeat. If you're doing it right it should never really be "easy." :drinker:
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I like both. I love to run but when I have shin splints or want to give my joints a rest I do the elliptical! I sweat a ton on both.