Protein ideas?

Options
So, I've been struggling to lose weight - I'm stuck and have been for several months (gaining and losing the same pound over and over again). I've been reading other posts how people have upped their calories, ect and have seen weight loss. I think I was eating to few calories and burning off too many. Anyways, I changed my profile for the calories I calculated and the percentage of carbs, fat and protein.

Per Jillian Michaels, I should have 30% of my calories be protein - that's 110 grams of protein a day! How do I get that much in? I know cheese, nuts, peanut butter are good, but you can only have so much of that....plus it's fattening!

Any good, quick ideas to get my protein in during the day? And does that amount seem excessive?

Replies

• Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Chicken or other meat is a good way. A lot of people also eat protein bars or drink protein shakes.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    EAS Carb control protein shakes, and Greek yogurt are good!
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    i like jay rob protein shake. the egg white one um it not really that hard it just what you choose to eat im a snacker don't care for big meals so shakes suite me fine. but there nuts, cottage cheese (my fav with cinnamon and splenda) eggs and the high protein yogurt. if you think about it you probably only have to add one or two more snacks to reach the limit.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    --egg whites
    --whey protein
    --cottage cheese
    --greek yogurt
    --and low sodium tuna

are some ideas
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm ALWAYS over on my protein. Eat lean meats such as boneless skinless chicken breast and fish. Try fat free greek yogurt. A 6oz portion has 15 grams of protein. Also, try reduced fat/ fat free cheeses. ( I add fat free feta to my salads) . Also, beans have protein, fiber and are filling.
  • dkiles
    dkiles Posts: 45
    Options
    A good book to read is Protein Power, it explains the science behind carbs and proteins. They have a calculation to determine how much protein a person should have, it's based on your specific lean muscle mass. I am supposed to have at least 69 a day but they told me if I go over it's ok. Protein Shakes help. I have a good low carb one that I like. I make sure I have around 20 grams of protein with each meal. That can be easily obtained by eating lean meats such as chicken, fish, lean cuts of beef. I also like cottage cheese and eggs.
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the jay robb egg white protein shakes (vanilla) It tastes great with fruit, water and ice to make a smoothie. I hate Whey protein shakes so if i like this, it must be ok. : )

and, shake mix is only 120 calories for one scoop for 25 protein
  • jragnoli
    jragnoli Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of grilled or baked chicken because it has a lot of protein. I, too, am trying to consume a lot of protein to curb my appetite. I also eat high protain bars that are low in sugar and carbs. I know it may sound crazy, but I often have some grilled chicken dipped in honey mustard sauce as a snack. (It's high in protein.)
  • crv021
    crv021 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    30% protein seems like a lot of protein (100+ grams) - I'm not sure what your workout routine is so just be mindful that Julien may see this as a safe % for someone who has a very stuctured work out routine with a goal to build lean muscle mass (vs. just weight loss); also, the foods you mentioned nuts, peanut butter, etc... are fattening and good sources of protein but remember they are good fats (monounsaturated) that help to keep your good cholesterol up so they actually protect the heart :)
  • crv021
    crv021 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sorry forgot the mention this as well, you asked if the amount of protein seemed excessive and it may seem a bit much --- your body can only absorb so much protein at one time and out of all the macronutrients (protein, carbs, fats) protein is the hardest for your kidney to breakdown and metabolize.

The point of a high protein low carb diet is to put the body in ketosis the problem is that if you start having more protein vs. adequate carb intake which the body uses for it's main energy souce, then once the body is in ketosis you will see weight lose; however, because the body does not get enough carbs for energy, it begins to breakdown muscle mass for energy ---- your goal is NOT to use muscle for energy it's to preserve it (you see you lose muscle "weight" vs. fat weight). The more muscle you have, the more calories you can burn that's why body builders can eat 1000's and 1000's of calories per day. I hope this makes scense :)
  • Candlelynn
    Options
    Have you tried cottage cheese? :)