HELP

Options
I need some motivation, but in time I can't find any. I was about to come back here, but today I had a breakdown again, so I try it from tommorow. I am a full-time compulsive eater, I devour ridiculous amounts of food and don't know why, I have a food obsession which means, half of my time eat and the other half I think about food. I am far gone and pathetic, I don't want to gain more weight, Need help :(

Replies

• gigilouise
    Options
    I know its hard.... but you have to try... I put these key words on my iphone as my wallpaper so everytime I turn my phone on it helps.....willpower,self control, motivation,balance,exercise and proper eating habits... keep tellin yourself over and over.. Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • ladybu6205
    ladybu6205 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I need some motivation, but in time I can't find any. I was about to come back here, but today I had a breakdown again, so I try it from tommorow. I am a full-time compulsive eater, I devour ridiculous amounts of food and don't know why, I have a food obsession which means, half of my time eat and the other half I think about food. I am far gone and pathetic, I don't want to gain more weight, Need help :(

You have come to the right place! Set up your profile, Calculate your BMI & BMR numbers, set up your meal goals and LOG EVERY SINGLE THING you put into your mouth. Sounds to me like you may also want to log WHY you felt you needed to eat, how you were feeling emotionally before eating, during eating, and how you felt after. Sounds like there may be underlying issues you will want to work with also. YOU CAN DO THIS!

When you feel the need to eat, STOP and think first.... are you REALLY hungry or are you just wanting to eat because the food is there. Only eat WHEN YOU ARE hungry... any other time, grab a HUGE glass of water, and go for a walk or do something to take your mind off of food. YOU CAN DO THIS!

Make friends here on MFP that have the same goals as you and find encouragement from them. I also look for those who have already had great success with their weight loss challenges because it motivates me to continue with mine. For me, I've met my weight loss goals. I am currently trying to get myself back in shape. I lost motivation when my life become stressful or more stressful. Currently going through a divorce, so finding people with similar goals as mine really helps. YOU too CAN DO THIS!

Jump right in and focus on what you want. Be specific about your goals. Write them down and read them every day. Leave pictures laying around to remind you of what you are wanting to be... Read health books and health magazines... You can find inspiration in them also... YOU CAN DO THIS!

Feel Free to add me as a friend and I can help you along the way.

Remember, YOU CAN DO THIS!

Lisa
  • Shadowboxer
    Options
    Thank you so much for kind words. I often cannot differentiate whether I'm hungry or not and feel the need of carbohydrates. I don't know if it's physical or emotional hunger, but anyway I hope counting calories will help.
  • gems4me
    Options
    Shadowboxer I too am a compulsive overeater, food is all I think about. I could have wrote your post word for word. I've gotten off my butt and took up walking, right now it's my only form of exercise but it's better then none at all. I've also forced myself to drink lots of water, I never drank water ever, it was always coffee, or soda or milk. Time for changes for both of us. Good luck and just try and find other things to do to keep your mind off eating.
  • ladybu6205
    Options
    Thank you so much for kind words. I often cannot differentiate whether I'm hungry or not and feel the need of carbohydrates. I don't know if it's physical or emotional hunger, but anyway I hope counting calories will help.

If you can't differentiate the difference, than I truly suggest that you drink a glass of water first... if after 20 minutes you are still feeling hungry, then eat an apple or a high fiber healthy snack and wait another 20 minutes. In most cases, if you are not not truly ready for a full meal, that will be suffice, but if not, then eat a meal, but keep it healthy.

And Idea of what my breakdown of meals and snacks are for a 1200-1400 calorie day.

Breakfast 300-350 calories
    Snack 100-150 calories
    Lunch 300-350 calories
    Snack 100-150 calories
    Dinner 300-350 calories
    Snack 100-150 calories

Try breaking your total daily calories down to5-6 meals/snacks per day. Eating more frequently keeping portions in control and calories in check may help you to not ever feel hungry. Many times once you start eating like the above example, you will find that when it's time for your snack, you won't even be hungry. But EAT that snack or meal anyway to keep your metabolism up and also keep you from over eating at the next meal.
  • Shadowboxer
    Options
    Thanks, I'll rather choose some fruit for a snack, or natural yoghurt...
  • rt1992
    Options
    Wrap it and Crap it, that is how I lost 100lbs. in a year, High fiber La Tortilla Factory tortillas 8 and 12 grams fiber, chicken grilled any meat grilled or broiled, cheese, use wraps for carbs, put everyting in them just make sure lots of lettuce, high fiber everything you possibly can, light exercise once you start losing or not, had to start working out after a year to gain wait and work on extra skin. Eat constantly with wraps, broil, boil, grill all meats, and eat constantly, drink lots of tea or water. This worked for me hope it can help someone else. Blood pressure was 110/220 then couldn't take pills didn't want to die yet, now today 68/114 pressure been this way for a while. I don't drink alcohol but still smoke unfortunately. Good Luck
  • Shadowboxer
    Options
    Hmm, in life I've eaten about 1 or 2 tortillas and from fastfood, so it's not like my common meal. and I'm not too much fond of meat anyway. But thank you for the advice and it's very impressive you lost so much lbs...
  • reginarb
    Options
    I find that when I am stressed, bored, or tired I will get a snack to "take the edge off" or "wake up". I have discovered that it is just a mindset. I can "take the edge off" by doing some stretches and drinking a glass of water. If I still want the snack I take it with me to the computer and log it in my Diary BEFORE I eat and and then I decide if I still want it when I see what it is doing to my body. Plus after stretching I feel better and it gets me motivated to workout.
    Find out what really "takes the edge off" for you. It's not food or you would not be going back for more. It may be as simple as taking a min to talk to God and asking him to take away the desire and filling you with his grace and mercy.
  • Shadowboxer
    Options
    I should try glass of water, many people mention this... though I used to drink mint tea when I wanted to eat something sweet.
  • ladybu6205
    Options
    I should try glass of water, many people mention this... though I used to drink mint tea when I wanted to eat something sweet.

Mint tea might be a good option too as long as there is not sugar added to it... Decaf is better too as the caffeine is what usually causes the body to retain water...
  • dalenkim98
    Options
    These are great comments from everyone. You are on the right track Shadowboxer. I always teach my clients that besides willpower there is also the need to find out what is triggering their overeating response (i.e. depression, fatigure, boredom, anger). I recommend to incorporate some "me" time to get away from everything and just sit (you can read, listen to music, garden, walk, hike, bike or which ever you like).

In terms of eating, when you do eat have healthier food items on hand such as water, greek yogurt, fresh berries/fruit, fresh veggies with peanut butter, whole wheat crackers with hard cheese (i.e. no premade cheese & crackers), and even dry cereal such as cheerios. In order to help you feel full longer, utilitize foods higher in fiber that will stay in your system longer (like whole grains and fresh fruits/veggies) and add protein to your snacks (i.e. low fat dairy products, peanut butter, unsalted nuts, or even try some tofu/soybean).

Hope this helps. Good luck with the emotional eating. I deal with the same problems as a dietitian with a stressful home life but have found that having some "alone" time helps tremendously.:wink: