spin or zumba

Options
i'm trying to work out which fitness classes l can fit in and l'm down to a choice between a spin or zumba class, haven't done either before so which should l do - l'm after the best cardio workout.

If l pick spin then l can do a yoga class and if l pick zumba then l can fit in a pilates - l think l need to do one of these types of workouts as well but which l don't know

I probably should talk to the trainers mon as well but l'd like to see what you think

Replies

• bethann1976
    Options
    I haven't tried spin at my gym yet -- it's next on my list to try. I have done Zumba about 4 times, an hour each time, and according to my HRM, I burn between 300-500 cals each class. It's A LOT of fun, and I'd imagine my burn would be better if I had the moves down pat. I'm still pretty much floundering my way thru it, lol.

But from everything I've read, it seems that spin is a MEGA cal burner. Guess it just all depends what you're looking for.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Spin will make your but sore. Just a warning.
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I do spin classes and they are AMAZING workouts. They are very intense cardiovascular workouts that will yield great calorie burns. I was literally in a pool of sweat after my class Friday, which is always a good sign :tongue:
  • CharHill4
    Options
    I'm just gonna reply bases on what I do. I recently ordered a Zumba fitness dvd set and I LOVE IT! It's a very fast paced cardio workout that works every part of your body. It does burn about 536 calories in 1 60 minute workout. The stretch class is really up to you because I do my own based on other exercise videos that I have and the zumba videos. They pretty much combine yoga with ordinary stretches to make sure you stretch every muscle in your body as well. Hope you love which ever 1 you choose = ) !
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    Spin is definitely the best cardio! I'm an addict, I spin 3-4 times a week and in a 30 min class I burn around 450-500 calories. I <3 spinning! I haven't tried Zumba but I've heard great things about it as well. Just depends on what you like, I would suggest trying both and see what fits your likes best!
  • Nataliethin81
    Options

True but if you do it regularly, your butt get's used to it! :)
  • Kiwijay
    Kiwijay Posts: 216
    Options
    Zumba is sooooo much fun and spin hurts haha, not sure how many cals Zumba burns but the fun of it makes you want to go more and more. I personally don't like spin but I know it burns heaps of cals. Whichever you chose have fun doing them. I would chose Zumba anytime because I like to dance.
    Enjoy!!!
  • Pisces42
    Options
    I do both Zumba (1 to 2 times a week) and Pilates (once a week). I like that combination. One is fat burning and the other is sculpting and so much work on core strength. I think you would like the Zumba if you like to dance. The hour flies by. NOw spin class I have never tried but do not think my *kitten* was meant for a bike.lol
  • ashleynicoleb
    Options

Agreed- you definitely get used to it. Plus it isn't that bad...it just depends person to person.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba....but that's because I like switching my routine around....spinning is like the treadmill - same movement to endure for a period of time. I get bored easily so that's not for me!
  • ems152
    ems152 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do spin class...I love it! You get used to it. I would go to both and see what you enjoy. You could even do spin one week and zumba the next. It's good to mix your exercises!

Have fun!
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm also a fan of spin classes. And even though i feel sore afterwards i know i have worked hard in the class and it will pay off.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

Agreed- you definitely get used to it. Plus it isn't that bad...it just depends person to person.

Trying sooo hard not to make a joke here.....
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I would say do both! Each is a great calorie burner...my heart rate gets just as high in zumba as it does in spin....and it's always a good thing to mix up your workouts!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Can you alternate the workouts each time? I'm not very coordinated so Zumba wouldn't be my thing. I have heard great things about the classes and a lot of people like them.

However, I love spin classes!
    I've been doing them for 14 years and never get bored. It's always a different workout each time and a challenge.
    Plus, it's very easy on the joints!
  • southernlay_d
    Options
    I do both and I love them equally! Zumba is sooo much fun, mainly because I get to shake my stuff (and man oh man do I take advantage of it, the men in the club love it! LOL). I have been taking the class for about 2 years now so I really know the moves and because of this I can dance really high impact and I burn an average of 1000 calories each class. Spin is fun, but yes, it does hurt the first few times or if you wait a bit between classes. It really is about how you position yourself on the seat. I just sort of learned how to position my hips so that my hooha didn't feel like I took a boot straight to it! It is definitely a good burn, I usually get about 800-900 calories burned in it, depending on the instructor and the speed of the music.

I say try them both out. They work different parts of you. Variety is the spice of life, and all that jazz.
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Not tried Zumba but I love spin classes, a good teacher will vary the classes so you should'nt get bored. They can also be quite competetive. Yes your butt gets sore but a gel saddle cover helps as you get used to it. I also do Pilates twice a week and love it.
    It's important to enjoy what you do so that you are motivated to continue. Good advice to try them all and see which you prefer.

Good luck!
  • ashleynicoleb
    Options

Trying sooo hard not to make a joke here.....

haha go for it!
  • clairemfraser
    Options
    if you do spin correctly you should burn 600+ calories within a 45 minute session. You will also work your stomach, hip flexors and gain more strength and tone in these areas plus mainly your legs. the most i have seen in one class is 1100 calories!! that is insane!! you may not thoroughly enjoy spin and you must keep the resistance on and up if you want to mmaximise your results HOWEVER it is the feeling leaving spin and the faster results that will keep you coming back!
    zumba is good but you cannot expect to burn nearly as many calories within the hour. I would be cautious entering zumba with knee or lower back issues however it is fun. if i were you i would do both!! keep your body guessing so it cannot get used to any particular exercise
  • corieueber
    corieueber Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for all the replies - going to try spin and if l hate it (or for a change) l have zumba as a alternative

not that l want a sore bum but after sitting around on it so much the musles need a workout