Calorie goal confusion

junewonder
junewonder Posts: 30
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
My starting (current) weight is 178 lbs. When I enter all of my information into MFP they give me the goal of 1610 calories per day. I can not for the life of me figure out where they get this number. It seems too low to me. My specs are 178 lbs, 5ft 5in, 25 years old, female, lightly active. When I figure out my BMI and calorie intake required to maintain my current (unwanted) weight I see that I need 2370 calories per day. I've read that the rule of thumb is to take the number of calories needed to maintain my current weight and create a deficit of 500 calories to healthily lose weight. With that method, I learn that I should consume 1870 calories per day to lose weight. ...So what am I missing? Why is MFP telling me to eat 1610? Which goal should I follow?

Thanks for any input you can give!
xo,
June

Replies

• EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 531 Member
    how low did you set your goal and how much weight did you say you wanted to lose in a weeks time?
  • Mine says 1200 but I think that is about right as it was similar when I did Weight Watchers a few years ago.
  • The level of your activity level determines the number you were given. When you simply subtract 500 from your unwanted maintence weight you are not considering your activity level. But when you select an activity level on MFP it will give you EXACTLY what you need to eat.
  • My goal is 128, 1lb/week. Should I lower my weekly goal loss? I feel almost like i'm starving myself at this rate. Maybe I just need time to adjust?
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    I weigh 131, lightly active, 5'6, aiming to lose half a pound a week, and I get exactly the same calories. It's working for me - I'm on day 25 or so, and I'm down 2 lbs.
  • The level of your activity level determines the number you were given. When you simply subtract 500 from your unwanted maintence weight you are not considering your activity level. But when you select an activity level on MFP it will give you EXACTLY what you need to eat.

Ok, so if I were more active I would be allotted more calories?
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    It seems right- I'm moderately active and put on MFP that I want to burn 1 1/2 pounds a week, and was given 1300 calories a day (currently weigh 167), so if you're aiming to lose 1 pound a week, the calories you're given seems right. Remember, you can eat more than that if you exercise. Good luck!
  • pinAKAl
    pinAKAl Posts: 6 Member
    You need to add exercise to give yourself more calorie allowance. I think the goal is probably a good start, just try to adjust. Good luck :)
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    If you feel like you're starving with over 1600 calories/day, maybe you need to change the TYPES of food you're eating- you can eat a lot of fish/chicken/fruits/veggies for 1600 a day!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    each time you record your exercise for the day you will be alloted more calories to make sure your 'net' calories do not fall below what is healthy for you and what will still let you lose weight at the rate you chose.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Under goals, what does it tell you your maintenance calories are? Is 2370 a number you calculated for yourself, or did MFP calculate it?

As others have said, you are supposed to eat back your exercise calories as part of mfp, so if you are doing exercise, you can eat more than 1610.
  • If you feel like you're starving with over 1600 calories/day, maybe you need to change the TYPES of food you're eating- you can eat a lot of fish/chicken/fruits/veggies for 1600 a day!

I agree with this post... I only eat 1200 calories a day and there are a lot of times that I STRUGGLE to get that in. If you are eating tons of veggies and lean meats then you should have no problem.
  • My goal is 128, 1lb/week. Should I lower my weekly goal loss? I feel almost like i'm starving myself at this rate. Maybe I just need time to adjust?

Since you're just getting started with MFP, have some patience and trust that they know what they're talking about when giving you your calorie goals for the day. Plus, remember, this journey we're all on takes some getting used to and behavior modification. You're not going to be able to eat like you used to. None of us are. Sure, we can have any foods we choose, we just need to watch portion control and pair the "naughty" foods with "good" foods (example: small piece of pizza with a big salad).

MFP has me on a base calorie intake of 1200 calories a day... before adding in exercise calories. There really are some days that I have a hard time getting to 1200 calories because I'm eating a lot more salad and other healthy foods. It just takes time and experimentation with different foods.

Good luck!
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    If you feel like you're starving with over 1600 calories/day, maybe you need to change the TYPES of food you're eating- you can eat a lot of fish/chicken/fruits/veggies for 1600 a day!

I agree with this post... I only eat 1200 calories a day and there are a lot of times that I STRUGGLE to get that in. If you are eating tons of veggies and lean meats then you should have no problem.

MFP set me at 1200 --- I'm done with that amount by 3pm guaranteed....HOWEVER, I make sure I have an exercise plan to burn off about 400-500 calories, I add that under exercise and there's my dinner :) 21 pounds off with that method since January 1st. and I'm never hungry.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Here is a great thread that helps explain cal goals/deficits. Good luck to you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • Thanks everyone! You've all been a great help! I'm shocked and pleased with the response I got. This is obviously a great community!
This discussion has been closed.