Mom had gastric bipass and has asked for help with protien s

Options
Shes just starting on solids and she is only allowed 12 g of sugar daily..she hates the protein shakes shes on the instant carnation one..she wants to make some shakes that are tastier...maybe not so plain. I suggested she gets a blender? What are some other instant ones that may have a bit more taste? She knows im on here and has asked me to ask you guys.

Replies

• Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Can she use artificial sweeteners? I'd say she could make smoothies/shakes out of plain greek yogurt, but they typically have a bit of natural sugars from milk.

Instead, she might be able to do a serving of plain lowfat cottage cheese with a packet of splenda,a few ice cubes, and then add in whatever to flavor it..... peanut butter and cinnamon would be good, or even just a little vanilla extract.
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I take the GNC AMP Wheybolic Extreme. The shake calls for 3 scoops (280 cals, 3 g of sugar). I only take 1 scoop after a workout but as a meal replacement this would be too little. It tastes like chocolate milk. It is delicious. I know they also sell it in Cookies N Cream and Vanilla flavors but I have not tried those yet.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Yep - she needs a good STRONG blender and buy some protein powder. I buy Vanilla coz I can add unsweetened cocoa to make it chocolate anyway! Two faves are

Vanilla protein powder
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    1 tbsp unsweeted cocoa
    1 cup water
    3 ice cubes

OR

Vanilla protein powder
    1/4 cup frozen berry medley
    1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
    1 cup water
    3 ice cubes

BLEND on high until mixed

YUMMO!
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    bump
  • joanie775
    joanie775 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I get my protein powder from curves love the taste
  • savvynurse
    Options
    I dont know what the sugar count is however when I had my GBP done I loved Adkins shakes. They are smooth and they were easily digestible. As far as anything else.... its all gonna be a trial and error on her part.