meals to freeze

Options
s_hamm_08
s_hamm_08 Posts: 117 Member
I'm looking for some healthy recipes that I can freeze for later date, we go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week. To get up there for the free child care we have to go during our dinner time, on those days I have rush back home and cook dinner. I'm too tired to really put in a lot of effort in a meal so I was thinking of cooking on the weekend and freezing meals. Problem is that I need some ideas, I can think of meals to freeze but they aren't healthy. Any suggestions?

Replies

• MomsDaily140
    Options
    I would love to get some recipes myself, ... starting a new class in a couple weeks, so I will be pressed for time.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mariea1171
    mariea1171 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i would like to learn to... plan ahead meals are so important im learning. also in between meals. any suggestions anyone. :flowerforyou:
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If you like chili, it freezes really well. I've heard of people freezing casseroles too, although I've never done it myself. I've frozen soups and stews, and they're okay if you can tolerate some of the veggies going a bit mushy. I've never had any luck freezing potatoes or pasta, although it can be done, apparently...
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A thread with some good ideas in it re freezing
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/176381-who-makes-frozen-meals
  • ValMae
    ValMae Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Whole grain pastas made into casseroles and lasagnas freeze great as does chili and soup. I think veggies get a little mushy but if they're in a casserole or other dish you really don't notice.
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have a few...
    cabbage rolls (we had them tonight, mmmmm)
    chicken enchalidas
    pulled beef/pork (put in a crockpot)
    chili is awesome

don't forget your crock pot. I love mine!
  • denton
    denton Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use two cookbooks: Weight Watchers New Complete (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470170018/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=002863716X&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1R1DPFEQDJ5DYBBMBEC0)

and New Dieter's (http://www.amazon.com/New-Dieters-Cookbook-Great-Weight/dp/B0001V03YQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298158476&sr=1-2)

Both have soups/ stews that can be made very quickly or frozen (the veggies stay firm if you use frozen vegetables to begin with). Also, WW has Maryland crab cakes which can be frozen in uncooked patties (separated with wax paper) and are quickly cooked on the griddle. I serve them with frozen mixed veggies in a rush or even a salad.

New Dieter's has lasagna and beefy cornbread (tamale pie) which can both be frozen. I like to bake them first and split them out into single serve containers.

WW also has a great pizza crust that I like to prepare and freeze after it has risen. I split the dough in half and toss it right into the freezer. Take it out of the freezer the morning you plan to make it. Roll it out, toss your sauce and toppings on it and bake at 500 for about 10minutes. It's incredibly easy and my son loves to help make it. Their cheese pizza is about half the calories (for a larger serving) than a Digiorno Classic Thin Crust Supreme pizza!

I also prepare the meat mixture for burritos sometimes and freeze it. It's easy to defrost in the microwave later. Then you just have to warm up some low fat tortillas on the griddle (or microwave). (There is a recipe in New Dieter's for burrito's too.)

Pancakes are also easy to prep and freeze for a fun kids dinner or weekday breakfast (New Dieter's).