Eating when you're sick

Options
Ok, thought I'd beat the nasty bug that took down my roommates, nope, two weeks after the last one was feeling ill, but wham, last night I felt like crap, today it's not much better. . .

I'm trying to find something that sounds good to eat to hit my calories. .will not hitting your calories once or twice bad? Or am I OK if I just go sleep this crud off?

Replies

• Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I've been hit by a nasty bug. I'm still recovering from it, and I'm having a nasty time trying to eat my calories and do my exercise. I had a hard time stomaching some PB toast (just one slice) this morning. It was not sitting well.
  • kimzxx
    kimzxx Posts: 21
    Options
    Im sure the saying is:

"Starve a fever....feed a cold"

I'm not a doctor lol so I could be completly wrong but I've always thought if you can't keep anything down you shouldn't eat for 24 hours from the last time you were sick.. or if you feel like you could eat just dry bread with nothing on it (no butter etc.)

If you have a cold then you should eat as normal, especially hot healthy soups!

Oh. .and drink lots of water with both!

Although I could be wrong lol Just what I've always been told.

Feel better soon :flowerforyou:
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    If its a stomach bug then you are better off not forcing food down. If you vomit you will lose more fluids...do not worry about starvation mode etc, it doesn't kick in that quickly.
  • judz46
    judz46 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I think listen to your body...if you don't feel like eating then don't but dry crackers and toast are good..You'll probably just feel like something light like custard, rice puddings, scrambled egg etc....yuuuuk I know.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    thanks guys, soup & grilled cheese has been my meals the last two days, going to eat some buttered toast. . .this is bad because it's my sinus' draining backwards and making me sick to my stomach. . .and not eing able to breath stinks
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel.....was diagnosed with Flu A on Mon, then a sinus infection on Friday! Just eat what you can when you can and get back in the game when you feel better. Hope you feel better soon!!
  • Elli0tt
    Options
    try to get vitamin C if u can! OJ or something ya know? If it will stay down. When im starting to feel under the weather I always take an extra vitamin C pill a day at least.
  • heathercd
    heathercd Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    As long as it isn't a stomach bug, it's actually good to eat a bit OVER your calorie goal when you aren't feeling well. If you think about it, your BMR is actually being raised especially if you have a fever. Your body is working overtime to try and fight off whatever you have, and thus it needs more fuel.

Having been sick for the past week, however, I totally understand where you are coming from and I say whatever sounds good. . . .eat it. Even if you just have a sports drink to hydrate and soup, that is at least something to give your body.
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Try to eat if you can and fluids. But if it is a stomach bug (throw up) then don't force yourself to eat or drink just let your body rest. Some things that are good to eat are applesauce, toast and bananas the B.R.A.T diet if u have tummy troubles. My trainer told me the last time I was sick don't push it and don't workout if I can't give it my all because I might make the sickness worse by wearing my body down... So I would skip a workout then be better by the next one. Listen to your body do what makes u feel comfortable. Feel better soon!! I hope that helps :)
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    thanks guys, I basically stayed in bed all weekend. . .haven't exercised since thursday, feeling much better tho still awfully congested today, hoping I'll be able to do at least half my normal workout tomorrow morning :)