Sets/Reps? Novice exeriser here

Options
I've never understood the concept of Sets/Reps and was hoping someone could explain it to me. I would like to move on to strength training but need some help.

1. What is the difference between doing 3 sets of 25 reps and just doing 75 of what ever you are doing?

2. Also, what about if you can't do 2 or 3 sets of 25? I'm just starting out after treating my body badly for year and years. I don't see myself being able to do that much at first. Is one set of 25 ok? Or should I break it down to 3 sets of 10 reps and build up?

Sorry if this seems obvious to some people but for me it's over my head. Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Number wise, it's the same but I think the point of sets is to allow a short rest period between each set so you don't overwork the muscles.

The number of reps/sets is up to what you are physically able to do at the time. If shorter sets are better for you then that is what you should do to start out. Just figure out what feels right for you and then increase your reps/sets as you can.

Good Luck!
  • Kiwijay
    Kiwijay Posts: 216
    Options
    Sets is how many times you do reps. 25 reps is a lot to do. My brother has been a professional athlete and has taught me to do 10-15 reps and rest in between sets sometimes for up to a minute.

Believe me your body part you ae working out enjoys the rest between reps thats for sure.

Happy exercising and make sure you do what feels right. Another tip too {my bro taught me} is if the weights too high drop the weight and up the reps! That could be a go!

Have fun
  • Daisygurl7
    Daisygurl7 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Personally just starting out in January lifting weights - I could barely do 3 sets of 10 reps while lifting 5 lb. weights. You rest your muscles inbetween each set for a short bit. I would reccommend starting out slow. If you can do 75 of something...your weight is way too light. :) I would start out with 3 sets of 10 reps. Just my opinion. Good Luck!!
  • kathyc727
    kathyc727 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Novice here too. It's better to do what your body can handle than to hurt yourself & end up being able to do nothing.
  • mrsmojo82
    mrsmojo82 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    There are a number of reps in a set. Start with 10 reps that would be 1 set. For a beginner, I would do 2 sets of 10 reps on a weight that gets difficult to lift at the end of each set. You don't want it to be too light, you won't see any changes. You don't want it to be too heavy, you might hurt yourself.
    Sometimes, I do two sets with a small rest in between. Other times, I just do 20 reps straight. It just depends on you.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Personally just starting out in January lifting weights - I could barely do 3 sets of 10 reps while lifting 5 lb. weights. You rest your muscles inbetween each set for a short bit. I would reccommend starting out slow. If you can do 75 of something...your weight is way too light. :) I would start out with 3 sets of 10 reps. Just my opinion. Good Luck!!

A trainer friend told me that when you get to the last rep it should be hard-like you can't do another. If you can do 15 and keep going, try the next up weight.

Be patient with yourself. You will learn, just as you have learned many other things in life.

here is an example of what the trainer did with me.

5 lb weights, 15 reps, rest 1 minute, 15 reps, rest 1 minute, as many reps as I could do. Now for me 5 lbs was too light, so she moved me up th 7 lbs. THEN I couldnt do the last rep and she actually helped me :laugh:

Are you working at home or at the gym?
    Do you have a friend to do it with you?

If I find a site with suggested sets would you look at it?

That is what I did before the trainer.

jeannie
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Novice here too. It's better to do what your body can handle than to hurt yourself & end up being able to do nothing.

Amen! How many times I jumped into exercise by riding a bike for 20 miles, only to be in so much pain for a week I did nothing and lost that new exercise excitement edge.

right now I have been ill and am starting from GO........I am walking and doing 15 second planks ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I was up to 1 min:sad:
  • Leadchg
    Leadchg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Marcia,

I can only tell you what I do....so I hope this helps. When you work out with weights, try to do sets of 9-12 repetitions. Resting in between allows the muscle to have a rebounding period. It's best to add a few pounds each rep. (small increments 2-5lbs) and your goal at first is 3 sets of (9-12 each). You would want to work up to 5 sets eventually. The goal is to exhaust (breakdown) the muscle so it builds back up stronger. I combine my exercises so while one muscle is resting I use another. For instance,

I will do 1 set of 9 reps on the peck deck then immediately move to the bicep curl, then do a set of situps (10). I will do this rotation 3 times (in the beginning) Then you move to another couple of exercises. This way youre giving the muscle a break and you're not at the gym all day. Plus, you dont have that ackward down time resting in between sets :) I know you'll love it if you make it easy. It's really not complicated. You can get great work out programs on sites like caloriecount.com or sparkpeople.com too. Good luck :)
  • Marcia_11
    Marcia_11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was wondering if I was over thinking the whole process. It's kinda like when I started Cardio. At first, 5 minutes about killed me and now 2 1/2 months later, I'm up to 60 minutes. I guess it's not rocket science, huh? lol
  • Marcia_11
    Marcia_11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

A trainer friend told me that when you get to the last rep it should be hard-like you can't do another. If you can do 15 and keep going, try the next up weight.

Be patient with yourself. You will learn, just as you have learned many other things in life.

here is an example of what the trainer did with me.

5 lb weights, 15 reps, rest 1 minute, 15 reps, rest 1 minute, as many reps as I could do. Now for me 5 lbs was too light, so she moved me up th 7 lbs. THEN I couldnt do the last rep and she actually helped me :laugh:

Are you working at home or at the gym?
    Do you have a friend to do it with you?

If I find a site with suggested sets would you look at it?

That is what I did before the trainer.

jeannie

I work out at home and I don't have anyone to do it with me. Yes, I would look at any and all info regarding sets and suggested workouts.

Thank you!