I have no balsamic vinegar....dressing ideas?

Options
michellehorvath
michellehorvath Posts: 57 Member
I would like to make a tasty simple dressing tonight but I don't have any balsamic vinegar on hand. Any simple dressing ideas that are good tasting and MFP friendly?

4347429.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• NikkiWork
    NikkiWork Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Olive oil & Red Wine Vinegar...I love it!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Do you have lemon juice and olive oil? That makes a tasty combo.
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I use lemon juice, a bit of vegetable oil, salt and then chop up a bunch of cilantro to throw in there too
  • glittersoul
    Options
    I agree with the lemon juice and olive oil :) Also, berries are great on salads too
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Agree with lemon juice and olive oil! And cilantro sounds great... I love cilantro
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    A friend told me about this at work the other day to avoid paying for salad dressing and it worked! One part mayo, one part ketchup, mix in relish and you have a french dressing! It actually wasn't too bad. Of course I wouldn't use this on a regular basis...but in a pinch it works!
  • tmcginley
    Options
    whole grain mustard, lemon juice, olive oil and black pepper
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Yes, lemon juice. ANY type of vinegar, sherry, champagne, red wine will work. Or a combo of them. You could do a Lemon/orange vinaigrette. Just google and you'll find tons of ideas. I usually don't add all of the oil. A proper ratio is 3:1, oil:acid but I don't usually do that. I like it tangy with less oil even though olive oil is good fat, it's just my preference. You can also add little water, if it's TOO tangy for you, but you don't want to add more oil.
  • SyreetaJayne1
    Options
    Lemon juice and olive oil, i love to throw in a bit of soy sauce too!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    whole grain mustard, lemon juice, olive oil and black pepper

This sounds delicious!
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You can always use SALSA!:heart::heart: :heart:
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I use just apple cider vinegar and a pinch of 1/2 salt
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    smashed raspberries and olive oil, with a dash of sugar and salt and pepper is a tasty dressing.
    seven-up and oil
    mustard, oil and herbs
    peanut butter warmed up in the microwave and thinned
    salsa
    cottage cheese (i love the taste of this one, but it weirds me out when i think too hard about it. lol)
    lime juice and oil
    orange juice, oil and salt and pepper (add the zest from an orange and you will be in heaven)
    white or red wine and oil works too
  • mbuzalski
    mbuzalski Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Red wine vinegar and olive oil. I use it when ever I don't have balsamic.
  • lucky48
    lucky48 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've used red wine vinegar or to make a substitution, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar. I try to avoid using olive oil in salad dressings if I can because it is loaded with calories (It sure does taste good though).