Skechers Shape-Ups

Options
ajbeans
ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
Hey guys, my husband bought me some Skechers Shape-Ups Kinetix Response shoes and they haven't arrived yet. I was wondering, has anybody had these shoes? I'm not buying into the whole "tone your butt by doing nothing" stuff, but I thought they might help with my lower back pain. Any thoughts?

Replies

• rebecca_goss0
    Options
    I have some skecher shape-ups and I like them. They are nice and comfortable. It may hurt your leggs and lower back for a short time, but it will get better. When you read the paper on them it says that you should take your time and get use to them, this is true. I do love mine! Good luck with them and careful on steps!
  • hippo_hips
    hippo_hips Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have the reebok easytones. I just posted something about them on here haha.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I had a pair of skechers shape ups that I ultimately gave to my daughter. I liked the shoes for the most part, but I had very bad foot burn every single time I wore them. They do take some getting used to and there are many many reports of serious ankle injuries including fractures from individuals wearing them and stepping wrong, etc. My daughter wore them on the treadmill (she swears I didn't warn her not to run in them), she was running and fell off the treadmill (the rocker like soles contributes to poor balance - especially when running), and she seriously sprained her ankle. THEY ARE NOT MADE FOR RUNNING - ONLY WALKING. If you have balance issues, I would definitely not recommend them.

Others I have talked to absolutely love them - nurses say they are the best/most comfortable shoe they have ever worn.

Vickie
  • ajbeans
    Options
    I have the reebok easytones. I just posted something about them on here haha.

I know, that's what reminded me that I'd been meaning to post a thread about mine! :laugh: I wanted to get some opinions on them.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    They are my favorite pair of shoes out there. I don't buy into that whole get a great hiney thing but they have made my knees/ankles feel better. If I have to be standing or moving any period of time, I wear them because they are so much more comfy.
  • ajbeans
    Options
    Yeah, I was wondering about running. Not that I ever run, but it's good to know these things for the future, you know?

What do you mean, foot burn? Your feet got hot, or blisters, or something else?
  • melmama98
    Options
    I've had the shape-ups for almost a year. I work two nights a week as a server and almost always wear them. I haven't noticed a change in my butt or thighs from them. However, if I don't wear them to work, my lower back throbs when I go to bed. I am on my feet for at least 8 hours at work. They are awesome for lower back support! Don't make the same mistake as me. Read the instructions or watch the dvd that comes with them. When I first bought them, I just threw them on and went to work. I could barely walk the next day! You definately have to ease into them. Good luck and a happy back!
  • kanderson1776
    Options
    I absolutely love mine. I will wear them with almost anything! :) Take your time getting use to them bc they will feel awkward at first. You're going to love them!
  • MeolaCharles
    Options
    I have them, and you aren't really doing nothing for something. You have to walk in them for them to do the job. It is also helpful in easing your back pain. I wear mine when I am going to be out all day, might as well tone and be comfortable all at once. It was one of my mother's day gifts last year.
  • Darlis
    Darlis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have the Skechers metabolize....I have MS and there will never be any running for me, but these shoes have made an amazing difference in my leg and knee pain. Actually my balance is better too when I am wearing them, but they force you to "roll" your foot when walking, instead of the foot hitting more flat. They have been a life saver for me!
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I love my reebok easytone, they do take sometime getting use to however I have no problems running or walking in mine... not that I run alot.. but I can in them!!
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I've got the AviMotion, different brand, same idea. Not sure if they've made a big difference but they are comfy!
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have a pair and I like them, but I dont know about the whole toning thing. But I do think they've helped me with my posture. I feel like I stand a little straighter now. Hope yours work out for you!!
  • ajbeans
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your input. :) I'll maybe just wear them inside for a day or two until I get used to them -- busting myself in my living room probably hurts a lot less than busting myself on the front steps. :laugh: Less embarrassing too!

Something else I was wondering: does it feel weird wearing other shoes after you've gotten used to wearing these? Or does it help you use correct posture even in other shoes?
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I've had my Skecher's Shape-Ups for about a year. People used to ask me all the time if I noticed a difference in my butt/thighs. I alway replied, "No, I eat too much to see a difference." :laugh:

But seriously- I wear them daily - I stand on my feet on concrete floors from 8-12 hours a day. These shoes made my lower back and leg pain disappear! I love them because they are so super cushiony and supportive. As others stated - not for running and it takes a few days to get used them. I wear mine on the elliptical with no problem.

When I wear "normal" running shoes now they feel weird - too flat.

Another bonus? These shoes make you a little taller if you are short like me! :bigsmile:
  • ajbeans
    Options
    Another bonus? These shoes make you a little taller if you are short like me! :bigsmile:

I don't know how short you are, but I'm pretty short in my own right. :laugh: And we just moved to Nebraska last summer. It's like Land of the Tall People out here. :tongue:
  • Lutiebelle
    Lutiebelle Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I bought my Skechers to improve my posture and ease my lower back pain. I didn't follow the instructions about wearing them for short periods until you get use to them and I suffered from terrible shin splints as a result. Since then, I wear them for a few hours at a time and they really make me stand more erect. They are designed for walking only, not running or doing side to side movements. I feel so much better afterward whenever I wear them.
  • circadianswing
    circadianswing Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't own or wear them, but I just saw your post and it reminded me of a news story that came out this week, about a lawsuit from a woman against skechers.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/ConsumerNews/skechers-shape-ups-lawsuit-woman-sues-toning-shoes/story?id=12927314
  • ajbeans
    Options
    I don't own or wear them, but I just saw your post and it reminded me of a news story that came out this week, about a lawsuit from a woman against skechers.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/ConsumerNews/skechers-shape-ups-lawsuit-woman-sues-toning-shoes/story?id=12927314

That's crazy! I find it hard to believe that you could fracture the strongest bones in your body just by walking funny. But, it's something to pay attention to.
  • circadianswing
    circadianswing Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, but it is rather odd that these shoes do come with a warning label.