Pre/Probiotic questoin

Options
I understand that Psyllium husk tablets can be thought of as "pre-biotic" , swallowing a few tablets with a large amount of water to disperse the husk can create a breeding ground for the next "probiotic". after a few minutes, you can eat and know the good bacteria have developed even more and are ready to deal with the fats from the foods and other elements that may not be so good for the blood stream. Has anyone heard of this working, and has anyone seen a better prebiotic setup? ideas and knowledge on the subject would be very welcomed.

Replies

• circadianswing
    circadianswing Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    just wanted to put this at the top, in case anyone had a response, before it drops into forum oblivion.
  • mikjenna
    mikjenna Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So are you taking a probiotic with the psyllium? Psyllium alone is sometimes not enough. You're better off with a really good probiotic, i.e. one that requires refrigeration and has 10,000+ live organisms. Also, I might have misunderstood your question. . .
  • circadianswing
    circadianswing Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    So are you taking a probiotic with the psyllium? Psyllium alone is sometimes not enough. You're better off with a really good probiotic, i.e. one that requires refrigeration and has 10,000+ live organisms. Also, I might have misunderstood your question. . .

Yes I take a probiotic with the Psyllium with breakfast and with dinner. I did not know there were refrigerated probiotic pills, I just take the ones at trader joes... says 10 billion organisms in there, which sounds so impressive.
  • mikjenna
    mikjenna Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love Trader Joes, but maybe theirs doesn't work for you. Vitamin Shoppe has a good one under their brand that also doesn't require refrigeration. It's called "Ultimate 10 probiotic". (Sorry, I saw in my original post that I said 10,000! I meant billion. . .) I went to a Whole Foods Market chef demonstration recently and he said that probiotics that require refrigeration are the best, but I've used the Vitamin Shoppe one for years and have had great luck with it.

Also, with Psyllium you have to drink LOTS of water.