Will Power

Options
I just joined 2-1/2 days ago. I think the site and app are great, but I'm not sure if they're going to provide all the motivation I need! I have a huge problem with will power. I've started on weight loss crusades before, only to abandon them after a month or so. I have all the reasons in the world to lose the weight, but can never seem to make myself carry through. What helps everyone else out there?

Replies

• jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    For me, it's a fitness-oriented goal, not weight loss. For example -- running a 5K was one of the first goals I made.

Then, even if I fell (crashed and burned) off the wagon and ate my weight in ice cream, I still would work out the next day because ice cream doesn't keep me from running a 5K.

I think it's all about not putting your eggs in one basket. Make a list of reasons and goals. Look at it whenever you find yourself licking the bottom of a bag of Cheetos. There's ALWAYS a reason to keep going.
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Experience. I have learnt that no matter how much I have convinced myself that "one won't hurt" or " I'll take today off and get right back on it tomorrow" it's utter b******ks! For me, it will be the start of a slippery slide into having my head stuck in the fridge. The first time I do it, it is a one off and I do get right back on it. But then the days between the one offs get less and less and before I know it, there are no good days at all. It isn't willpower, it's sheer bloodymindedness and determination. And even now,a little bit of me is thinking about that wine
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Almost dying from morbid obesity, hypertension, high cholesterol and triglycerides, fatty liver, going into a sudden diabetic coma + acute pancreatitis pretty much started the initial motivation to suddenly change my lifestyle and stay dedicated to a healthier choices for myself, by myself, as I wasn't really accustomed to dying and not being able to carry out my own plans I had set for myself.

I'm also rebelliously curious and I tried to figure out a way for me to get all of those symptoms back to normal on my own without medication. I was successful. Then success became my drive behind my motivation.

But it has to come from the core of yourself. If you know deep down, and I mean DEEP, like subconsciously, that you are probably going to half-*kitten* the want to make a change, then you're going to get half-assed results.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    have to say... what helped me this time (and like you i have gone through weight loss efforts many times before)..is...

i stopped trying to lose weight

it just finally clicked in my head that you are what you eat is WAY more than just a trite 'saying'.. and quite frankly i don't want to spend the last 1/2 of my life worried about getting sick due to my own lack of attention to what i was eating.

i am not on a diet (though i am losing weight which rocks!)... i have simply ... finally... flipped that switch in my head that means i have accepted i am just going to eat this way from now on.

i feel better (and the better i feel the more i am encouraged with making healthier choices)
    my skin is SO much nicer/clearer now, at this age, than it has even been before...ever.. and THAT is due to the water i think cause this is not the first time i have made a concerted effort to eat clean *L*

well.. that and i really enjoy tracking things... the food diary, being ruthlessly honest there about what i am eating and keeping it public makes me WANT to stick with doing this the right way too *S*

and inspiration... reading about the success others have had here... and specifically those that have had success that took a long time!
    the fact they understood/accepted there are no 'quick fixes' and have hung in there.. inspires me to no end *S*

good luck in your journey!
  • ShellyMacchi
    Options

But it has to come from the core of yourself. If you know deep down, and I mean DEEP, like subconsciously, that you are probably going to half-*kitten* the want to make a change, then you're going to get half-assed results.

110% agreement
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    have to say... what helped me this time (and like you i have gone through weight loss efforts many times before)..is...

i stopped trying to lose weight

it just finally clicked in my head that you are what you eat is WAY more than just a trite 'saying'.. and quite frankly i don't want to spend the last 1/2 of my life worried about getting sick due to my own lack of attention to what i was eating.

i am not on a diet (though i am losing weight which rocks!)... i have simply ... finally... flipped that switch in my head that means i have accepted i am just going to eat this way from now on.

i feel better (and the better i feel the more i am encouraged with making healthier choices)
    my skin is SO much nicer/clearer now, at this age, than it has even been before...ever.. and THAT is due to the water i think cause this is not the first time i have made a concerted effort to eat clean *L*

well.. that and i really enjoy tracking things... the food diary, being ruthlessly honest there about what i am eating and keeping it public makes me WANT to stick with doing this the right way too *S*

and inspiration... reading about the success others have had here... and specifically those that have had success that took a long time!
    the fact they understood/accepted there are no 'quick fixes' and have hung in there.. inspires me to no end *S*

good luck in your journey!

I agree. And I want to say I did this. No surgery. No diet shakes 3 times a day. No lose fat while you sleep fly by night crap. I got off my bum bum and exercised! My family is sick because they eat like fat people. I want to and will be the fit one.
  • ShellyMacchi
    Options
    ... My family is sick because they eat like fat people. I want to and will be the fit one.

ooooh i SO agree with that!!!
    i am living with the perfect example of just about every 'unhealthy eating' related illness possible.. my husband.. and he is not that way due to the food i cook or bring into the house that's for sure!
    He is slowly coming around now that i have stopped nagging him all the time about what he is doing to himself... and just .. finally... focused on me and only me *S*

Thank heavens for that... you are leading by example and your family will slowly catch on too!
  • ddelapas
    ddelapas Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Excellent point about not dieting, but instead, making healthy choices. Now with MFP I am able to track what I eat and really understand the choices I make. And, I'm not denying myself. I'm having a glass of wine or low cal beer when I want and still keep under my calorie goal for the day. I really really like how you get a positive calorie balance when you exercise. That's terrific incentive. I can really tell the difference between the days I do and don't exercise. Good luck in your journey!