Non-Dairy Milk - What's your fav?

Options
I've cut dairy (I'm extremely lactose intolerant) and for the most part I don't miss it so I don't use substitutes. I've been doing this half a year and feel great but I do miss cereal. I want to find some milk! :drinker:

Do you prefer rice milk, soy milk, or almond milk? Which brands are best?

Replies

• en4cerd43
    en4cerd43 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Almond milk without a doubt. It's not too sweet and has a nutty taste and goes great with cereal.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Blue Diamond Almond Breeze ... unsweetened vanilla and unsweetened chocolate are my preference.

40 cals for the unsweetened vanilla and 45 cals for the unsweetened chocolate (1 cup)
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    YES! Love almond milk. I prefer the lighter, less calorie ones (unsweetened). Blue Diamond is a good brand. My friend likes 8th Continent Soy Milk.
  • kristaszymanik
    kristaszymanik Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree -- almond milk. I like Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla Flavor (I go unsweetened to try to keep my sugar intake low... but the vanilla flavor still keep the flavor on the sweet side).
  • ali_gee
    Options
    Natures's Harvest Organic Malt Free Soy Milk - its the best for you and tastes great. it has no added sugar unlike all the other brands, only 3gms of carbs per cup, with 7 grams of protein.
  • SweetTooth68
    SweetTooth68 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Blue Diamond Almond Breeze, hands down!
  • sl0327
    sl0327 Posts: 14
    Options
    ALMOND!!! I try to stay away from soy... You can read up on that if you like, just google it! (lots of is GMO).
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I like WestSoy brand plain soymilk. Not for cooking or anything, but for cereal and for drinking. It's weird to cook with, but by itself it has an amazing flavor. I just love it. 8th Continent is a close second.

I hate rice milk, personally. I think it tastes... hollow. I don't know how else to describe it. Almond milk is all right, but not fabulous.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I like silk light vanilla but the only thing I use milk for is cereal.
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    Silk almond milk!! Just tired it for the 1st time last week and fell in LOVE with it, it's delicious!
  • TooFine4MFP
    TooFine4MFP Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I use Silk Almond Milk. I like both the regular and vanilla. Almond milk keeps for a long time too!
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I use Silk soymilk (vanilla) for my cereal needs. My fave is putting it over some Kashi Cinnamon Harvest (shredded wheat with cinnamon and sugar) for a real taste treat.
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll give those a try!

Anyone try cooking with any of these?
  • derocherl
    derocherl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Almond milk, hands down!
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Soy milk can be very thick and gooey when cooking with it.

I just tried coconut milk for the first time today. It is super tasty! I have stayed away from Almond milk b/c of the sugar in it but I will have to take a look into the unsweetened one. It seems to be a big hit!
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Just like mostly everyone else, almond! Silk dark chocolate almond milk is amazing! 120 cal for a cup. It is great for a chocolate fix....or in Cheerios with bananas for breakfast. yum!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Almond(unsweetened) by far. Read up on soy. not all it's cracked up to be.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    When I drank cow milk I drank skim so almond milk sometimes taste heavy to me. I like the chocolate as a snack because it taste like a fudgesicle to me. For things like cereal or as a milk replacement, I prefer rice dream vanilla. I try to limit my use of soy
  • dr1981
    dr1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Silk Vanilla Light. Tastes great with cereal and snacks.