Calculating food from George Foreman grill?

Cytherea
Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
So part of the point of the George Foreman grill is that it cooks the food while allowing all of the fat to drip away so that you are not eating it. Typically, I use the 93/7 ground beef, but it gets expensive, and doesn't taste as good with burgers and such. I know that the 85/15 has 17g of fat per 4 oz. But if I were to make it into a burger and cook it on the George Foreman grill, I can literally see so much of the fat dripping away (my cousin made burgers with this kind of meat on it just now, which is what made me think of it). So how would one go about calculating the fat content left in the beef? Because it definitely isn't 17g anymore! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Replies

• stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    I've actually wondered about this too. I'm in the exact same boat as you with ground beef (which I eat 2x a day on average). I use my Foreman about 4x a day and wonder how many calories/g of fat I'm saving?

hmmmmmmm

Steve
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    No real advice here... I just leave it the same. I figure that makes up for all of the cooking spray that I don't count when making eggs. :) I agree that the 93/7 doesn't do quite as well for burgers!
  • I guess if you have a good kitchen scale you could just weigh the cup with and without drippings, find the difference, and subtract that many grams of fat =P (maybe throw in another gram or two to cover the fat burned onto the grill)
  • Cytherea
    I had thought of doing it that way- weighing the meat before and after, but I wasn't sure if that was a legitimate way to calculate it, lol. But then I'd have to cook my food separately from my husband's to make sure it was accurate, which is kinda of annoying... do you guys think it would be ok to weigh the fat that has dripped out, and just use that number? That way if I'm making two I can just cut the number in half and discount that.

Thanks for all your responses!
  • Cytherea
    So my husband tells me it might not be that simple... some of what drips out from the grill is water, not all fats. Which makes calculating it without a chemistry lab impossible to do accurately. I need to see if somebody has done this before...
This discussion has been closed.