Lifting weights is causing my hands to blister/callous :(

Options
I need some suggestions and tips for avoiding this! I know my form is correct, as I have/am working with a personal trainer from time to time, but his only advice was to deal with it (easy for him to say, he's a guy!). I bought lifting gloves and while they help with the blistering, I can still feel callouses forming underneath (especially on certain machines like the lat pulldown!!!). They form below the very base of my fingers where that bony thing is on the top of the palm, between the ring & index fingers. I used to do gymnastics and my hands would rip (literally the skin would rip right off), so I guess I either have sensitive/thin skin, or I've damaged it somehow! :angry:

At any rate, this sucks. I'm not gonna stop lifting weights, but the callouses are gross, the weight lifting gloves aren't helping, and I need advice!! Thank you! :heart:

Replies

• Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise. And use a mix of olive oil & salt as a scrub on the callouses. Of if that too rough on your skin try using a face scrub on them.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That's actually a great idea, I actually have a hand scrub that might be able to get rid of them :)

As for moisturizing, I do so (often!) but I often wonder if that makes it worse! I think that's the reason my hands/skin is so soft and prone to tearing in the first place... I'm not sure though. :ohwell:
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I really blast weights on my strength training days and I don't have callouses ... I've even stopped wearing my lifting gloves.

Things to take into consideration in that regard are how high a quality the gloves are. Are the palms leather? Do they fit right? If they're too loose they would probably catch and callous the skin, and if they're too tight they'll probably catch the skin.

I don't know, I'm really good about moisturizing ... I use lotion every single day, so I think that's helped me to avoid callouses, as well.

Also, not that I'm saying your form is incorrect, as this isn't even a form thing, but make sure that the skin on your palms doesn't fold under the bar. When I wasn't as conscientious of that my hands would callous really easily.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Also, not that I'm saying your form is incorrect, as this isn't even a form thing, but make sure that the skin on your palms doesn't fold under the bar. When I wasn't as conscientious of that my hands would callous really easily.

Yes! This is precisely what happens sometimes, and try as I may, I can't seem to stop it. My hands just do that :angry: As for form, I meant my hand-placement and grip-form (haha, its late and there was a lack of any better terminology to use!).

Thanks, I'll def have to be more aware of what I'm doing with my hand skin, LOL! :laugh:
  • kkyishkkii
    Options
    I don't know if you get it in Canada but i find Swarfega (a handwash mechanics use to get oil off their hands) helps loads, it feels quite gritty but works wonders
  • jojojor
    Options
    Hi! Ive got the same problem.I now take off all my jewellery and always wear fingerless weight lifting gloves,also makes your grip much better!
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Yes! This is precisely what happens sometimes, and try as I may, I can't seem to stop it. My hands just do that :angry: As for form, I meant my hand-placement and grip-form (haha, its late and there was a lack of any better terminology to use!).

Thanks, I'll def have to be more aware of what I'm doing with my hand skin, LOL! :laugh:
    I knew what you meant. I think. I dunno, either way ...

It took a lot of work for me to be able to keep my skin from getting pinched by the bar. Well, a lot of conscious thought, anyway. I guess the biggest help has been to let the bar rest at the base of my fingers and then curl them around it, so that the flesh at the top of my palm gets pressed into my palm, as opposed to between the bar and my fingers, which causes more strain.

PS, stop being so suggestive :grumble: hahaha