alcohol and losing weight

Options
can anyone help?
Does alcohol stop you losing weight
I can't actually eat any less or exercise any more at the present time but i am not losing any weight - at least according to the Wii fit scales
Can alcohol be the problem
I do like a few whiskies watching the television although the calories are included in my allowance for the day
Georgina

Replies

• fat_beyonce
    fat_beyonce Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! Alcohol does have alot of calories. as one of my skinny friends said to me the other day it's pretty much liquid fat
  • davidmsheppard
    Options
    I have a drink, and just count the cals, I still loose weight. I think the key is moderation. I think shorts are the best, because they have lower carbs.
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It depends if you can't live without sweet alcoholic drinks. In that case I recommend spirits mixed with diet coke, lemonade, tonic, etc.

Remember tonic has as much cals as regular coke so don't think a G&T is low cal :drinker: That one got me.

I usually go with a good quality vodka (eg grey goose), lime and soda water. Always ask the bartender to squeeze the lime into your drink - most just plop it in there and it adds no flavour whatsoever. I had three of these last night (approx 60-70cals each) with water in between and afterwards and I still had a loss today.

It's so much easier to make nice tasting low cal drinks at home though..
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    It's not just counting calories that matters. You have to make sure that the calories you're taking in actually have some nutritional value to them. 1200 calories in alcohol, chips, and candy isn't going to lead to very healthy weight loss. I was never much of a drinker to begin with but I gave up alcohol completely when I started this process. Every now and then I'll have a wine cooler and count it in my calories. I just don't do it often.
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    If you're unsure if the alcohol is the problem or not then maybe try going without it for a week and seeing if it makes a difference? I read somewhere on here that alcohol slows down the rate your body burns fat by up to 72%. I don't know if its true or not but it doesn't hurt to try it out.
  • monica182
    monica182 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I read this very interesting article just a few hours ago about this topic. I think I'll be cutting out my couple of drinks a week after reading!

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/alcohol.htm
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    alcohol screw with your whole digestive process. also slows your metabolism, causes the stomach lining to bleed, keeps your body from absorbing nutrients and your liver has to work on getting the poison out of your body so it also screws with your blood sugar levels. alcohol isn't good for a diet.