Should I give these up?!

Options
2»

Replies

• tatiana_13
    Options
    Hmmm...I feel like yoda saying this but...I think only you can answer this question. I stay away from breads and sugar, but not because some one told me to, but because I feel better when I don't eat them. If you feel crabby and miserable when you avoid them, then maybe cutting them out isn't for you. Other people say bread makes them feel good. I'm gluten intolerant...so bread doesn't make me feel good. But potatoes make me feel wonderful. Sugar does makes other things taste good, so I eat it in very small quantities occasionally, but also feel better without it. But you know what? Alcohol isn't good for you. And I like whiskey. So I drink it sometimes. Got a problem with it? Doesn't matter....because I don't. So if you don't feel that sugar is a problem for you, and it brings you joy, have it sometimes. It probably won't be the thing that kills you....

I guess you have to make up your mind about *why* you want to give up these things. I don't think giving them up is a "magical" weight loss formula. Most people who chose to radically change their diet by giving up x food (sugar, bread, meat, whatever), successfully, do so because, as other posters have said, it makes them feel better in other ways. And conversely, people who don't stick to the changes usually say they felt worse, never got the promised results, and felt better eating differently. So again, I think only you are going to be able to answer this question for yourself.
  • Amberwind
    Options
    I also have a problem with having a HUGE sweet tooth, and while I'm still struggling to reduce my sugar intake, I've discovered that if I force myself to linger over the treat, a smaller portion is more satisfying. For example: When I eat Hershey's Kisses, I unwrap it, inhale the aroma, and once I put it in my mouth I suck on it like it's a hard candy rather than chewing. A single piece lasts for a couple of minutes that way, especially if it's cold out of the fridge, and I get the flavor and usually only wind up eating one or two pieces and my sweet tooth is appeased.

Of course, I've only been doing this a couple weeks, so we'll see how I cope long-term.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Can you keep your weak-foods around the house in small amounts?
    Also.... might sound lame, but put a post-it note or something where you keep the foods you binge on.

How long has it been going on? i binged on chocolate for a bit, and now i'm totally sick of it and can't deal with more than a piece or two a day.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options

should I just not eat anything bready or consisting of sugar and just be a snobby monster for a month until I do not crave them any longer??

Yes
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Part of changing your lifestyle is very much about changing the way you think about food and your eating behaviours. I agree with everyone that has said moderation is the key but of course we all know that is not always easy to achieve.

Sometimes, one of the best things you can do for yourself is to consciously work on not feeling so much guilt over eating these foods. Plan your day including some of these foods that you love, which should help with the cravings. But, in the times that you may have a bit extra, try to stop seeing yourself as 'weak' etc, acknowledge it as a treat, log it if possible and move on. Generally having a few extra treats is not what makes us gain weight, it's the guilt we feel which then leads to a feeling of a 'ruined day' or 'ruined week' which ultimately leads to a binge.

Good luck :)
  • kateslife
    Options
    One of the best tricks I learned for sweets is dark chocolate. Dark chocolate is the real deal and is a lot healthier for you. It has antioxidants in it. Of course this doesn't mean stuff your face with them, but if you have a tremendous craving try getting a small piece of dark chocolate each day.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    No, don't deny yourself what you want. You just have to learn to balance your diet and work these things in. I had a Nutrageous bar on Valentine's day. I don't eat chocolate every day though. I think that would be bad for my willpower.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I dont eat milk chocolate any more. But I eat a 2 finger dark choc kit kat every day - 106 cals :bigsmile: It seems to satisfy my sweet tooth and make me happy :wink:
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Try non-fat chocolate pudding with fresh strawberries and light whip for your chocolate cravings. It's so good and not that evil of a treat. I also like those Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches... YUM!

BTW, I love chocolate too and I am having a hard time as well! :(

Good luck,

Kari :flowerforyou:

Yummm!! I will!
  • karissastephens
    Options
    Cutting out/down on carbs in my opinion, is a big no-no - especially if you are exercising. I would reccomend reading the book "Eat Your Way to Happiness" by Elizabeth Somer. This book focuses (as its title suggests) on foods relationship to your mood/cravings. She also has another book called Food & Mood. I tried summarizing some of the carb info - but it was just too long. :)

In short, your body needs carbohydrates - just make sure you are choosing the right ones. Choose whole grains and avoid added sugar as much as you can. However, I have found that it is best not to make any food "off limits." If you allow yourself treats, you will be less tempted to binge. Believe it or not, I used to drink up to 3 sodas a day!! This was over a year ago, and the thought disgusts me. I thought I would never be able to stop. I cut back gradually and limited myself to one once a day. Eventually, I found I could go a few days without one. Now? I go for many months at a time! I still allow myself the occasional Coke though. :)

If you DO go overboard, just remember that you can start right back up again! Cutting out added sugar is hard - I am struggling with it as well. But if you eat the right things most of the time - that is half the battle! I would also second dark chocolate - buy the best quality you can afford. I like the individually wrapped squares because they stop me from eating the whole bar!

Check out this link (it's a PDF file): nutrition.mednet.ucla.edu/.../Carbohydrates_are_Good_for_U.pdf

Thanks for the link I enjoyed reading it! :)
  • karissastephens
    Options
    I have the same temptations for sugary sweet foods and have found a way to let myself have a little without feeling terrible about it. Using a sugar substitute and homemaking my sweets, I am able to reduce the calories in my sweets dramatically but still feel like I am letting myself get my sweet-tooth fix. I love making sugar free apple pies and such. The majority of the calories then come from carbs and fat but fat content can be lowered by substituting applesauce for butter in recipes for brownies and other "bready" sweets. They taste GREAT and don't make me feel too guilty!

That sounds soooo yummy! What sugar free sweets are the best that u make??
  • karissastephens
    Options
    Hmmm...I feel like yoda saying this but...I think only you can answer this question. I stay away from breads and sugar, but not because some one told me to, but because I feel better when I don't eat them. If you feel crabby and miserable when you avoid them, then maybe cutting them out isn't for you. Other people say bread makes them feel good. I'm gluten intolerant...so bread doesn't make me feel good. But potatoes make me feel wonderful. Sugar does makes other things taste good, so I eat it in very small quantities occasionally, but also feel better without it. But you know what? Alcohol isn't good for you. And I like whiskey. So I drink it sometimes. Got a problem with it? Doesn't matter....because I don't. So if you don't feel that sugar is a problem for you, and it brings you joy, have it sometimes. It probably won't be the thing that kills you....

I guess you have to make up your mind about *why* you want to give up these things. I don't think giving them up is a "magical" weight loss formula. Most people who chose to radically change their diet by giving up x food (sugar, bread, meat, whatever), successfully, do so because, as other posters have said, it makes them feel better in other ways. And conversely, people who don't stick to the changes usually say they felt worse, never got the promised results, and felt better eating differently. So again, I think only you are going to be able to answer this question for yourself.

The reason I am questioning sugar and carbs is because SUGAR mostly is the main culprit to weight gain...and they are my "trigger foods" meaning that once I start to eat them I cant stop...
  • karissastephens
    Options
    Can you keep your weak-foods around the house in small amounts?
    Also.... might sound lame, but put a post-it note or something where you keep the foods you binge on.

How long has it been going on? i binged on chocolate for a bit, and now i'm totally sick of it and can't deal with more than a piece or two a day.

I have LOVED sweets and breads for the longest time but i have recently been binging on them ever since last August.....I will literally get up at 4am and eat 2 bowls of cereal or 2 slices of bread... :(
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Lots of good posts. Complex carbs are good for you, refined sugar is not. I would not give up carbs, but I would start really paying attention to added sugar in the foods you eat and stay away from foods with added sugars. It may take you a while, but start cutting back on the refined sugar and foods with it added. In a couple of months you will feel so much better. You will also notice that those good foods like fruit, potatos, vegitable, and whole grains taste so much better. The first step is paying attention to the sugar, the second is saying no if it has more than you want (I have not had a pop tart in almost 15 years-once I finally read the label I went off them cold turkey). The cravings will become much less over time. It took me years to reduce my sugar intake to current levels. What finally got me to really do it was learning that I'm gluten intolerant. I wish it had not taken that to teach me that I can give up things that are not good for me.