Running to the gym?

Options
My town has recently been building up a nice network of bike/running paths through town. In about 6 months a really nice gym will be opening up exactly 2 miles from my house with an off road path door to door, crossing only one street. I am thinking of running back and forth to the gym. Does anyone else do this and how does it effect your lifting? Do you still have the ability to run home after a good leg workout?

Replies

• sjmoss1254
    sjmoss1254 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have done this several times. Not only do you a jump start on your cardio workout, saves time, but good for the environment as well. The run home can be a hit or miss, there are times when you will feel like you can't possibly run, then there are days when you feel real good....the run home may not be as fast as on the way there, but it is still very possible. You could always bike there!?!?
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    Biking is definitely an option and I am fit enough now to know it would be fairly easy. To run I would have to specifically train for that and it would take a lot of work. Luckily I have 6 months to prepare. It will be much nicer than my current 6 mile drive through traffic.
  • angelarozmyn
    Options
    I run to my gym every time I go...though it's only like five minutes away :) great way to use the time though, you have to get there anyway!
  • bosox729
    bosox729 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Back when I had a gym membership, I ran 1.5 miles from my front door to the gyms front door, did my workout, and either ran back or did 3-5 miles. The extra cardio did not hinder my lifting EXCEPT when I concentrated on legs. I have craptastic knees to begin with and running before I did squats was the worst thing in the world.

Nowadays I've shunned the gym (for now) and do all of my free weight and resistance training at home. I often mix my workouts to include cardio/lifting or resistance/cardio/lifting or resistance/cardio and I've actually seen an increase in my output.

I would at least attempt the jog, especially if you have nice paths. It might suck the first few times, but give it 2 weeks and I'm sure you'll wonder why you ever drove to the gym :)
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I did a test jog to the location and according to my GPS watch it was 1.9 miles each way and very level. I am definitely going to try this at least when working upper body.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I would think if you ran home slowly, like you would cooling down from a run anyways, it would be okay even if you had just done a leg workout. I would love to run to my gym but my town doesn't have a good sidewalk system and it's a busy road between my house and the gym. Good luck!