heart rate monitor: continuous reading without chest strap?

Options
I am looking to purchase a heart monitor and am overwhelmed by all the different choices.
I do not really want one with a chest strap but I do want one that does continuous readings.
The reason I want one is to measure calories burned when I do Zumba and Just Dance and am not concerned with all the other extra stuff.
I want one with a small band.
I would like to spend less than $80.
Any recommendations are appreciated.

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • meg811
    meg811 Posts: 49
    Options
    I have a Sportsline watch I got from ****'s, it was $30. We just got my husband the men's equivalent for $40. I'm sure there are better, more expensive ones, but ours seem to work just fine to me.

Lol, I didn't realize it was "censor" me for that store name. It's D i c k 's sporting goods....
  • bosox729
    bosox729 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are looking for a good wrist heart rate monitor or a heart rate monitor watch
    You are going to be limiting your options by wanting to spend under $80. The lowball average is about $110 or so.

However, there are some cheaper models that should at least last you a year or two...
    Sigma Onyx Fit Heart Rate Monitor Watch
    Timex 5J983 Zone Trainer Digital Heart Rate Montior

Hope it helps!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    the one I have is by New Balance and it can tell you how many calories you burn while exercising. I just got it and haven't figured that out part out yet. It is strapless., it's the HRT Fit+. I just read the instructions it doesn't take it continuously but the more times you check while exercising the more accurate it will be. It cost me about $60 on the New Balance Website
  • tarrox
    tarrox Posts: 47
    Options
    What are you concerns about a chest strap? I kept saying I just didn't want to mess with one, but now that I have one, it's no big deal. It is the Polar FT4. I love it.
  • sgunjan
    sgunjan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello - I am looking for the same..did you find a continuous reading heart rate monitor without a chest strap? I had Polar for a very long time and I loved it..then the strap would stop working in between workouts. That was very frustrating - I stopped using it. Now, I have gained a few pounds so wanted to get back on the regime. I would love a HRT monitor that would monitor my calories burnt all the time.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You won't get an accurate one without a chest strap. The Polar FT4 is the cheapest and the strap is made of very light flexible vinyl that is no more uncomfortable than your bra band. It's wireless so there's no wire going from the strap to the watch. None of them are really tiny but the women's FT4 is about as small as you get and it comes in a very soft peach color so it isn't hugely noticeable.
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I think the ones with the strap are a lot more accurate, and easier in the long run, than pushing buttons on a watch all the time. I got a watch that takes your heart rate when you hold down a button for a few seconds. I'm not thrilled with it, but it's better than nothing for now.

I am planning to pre-order an Amiigo.