Worried about today...dreated birthday cake

Options
My goal has been to behave on the weekends. Yesterday I only went 200 over which isn't so bad I guess (that's including my workout). Today we are celebrating my brother's birthday, and I know I am going to have to indulge. The problem is, I can't just have a bite or two of the cake or of dinner...if it's there I gotta eat it! I reallyyy don't feel like exercising today either, but maybe I'll just force myself to. It's way too cold out to go for a walk :(

Replies

• JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I would eat a small slice. Eat before you go if you can.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Just take a small slice and enjoy every bite of it.
    This has to be a lifestyle not a punishment!
  • jpeebs88
    Options
    Will someone be making his cake? if so, could you convince them to make it with a box of cake mix and a can of diet pop (nothing else)? 1/12 of the cake would have < 200 calories! And it's delicious and super moist
  • stephaniekendrick
    stephaniekendrick Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to drink lots of water before eating so you feel more full. Eat slow so you feel when you're full in time and try to do things like eat half a piece of meat being served, small portions of the naughty stuff if you absolutely can't skip, but at least you get a taste!

When we have dinner at my mother-in-laws, I want to indulge like crazy because it's always so good! I will usually take 1/2 piece of chicken, load up on veggies and small amounts of whatever carb side dish there is so I at least get to eat it!

Good luck...it's not easy!
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Just have a small piece to be polite. Don't stack too many "over" days together, you've worked hard to this point, and that kind of food just isn't worth it. Try to eat as clean as possible throughout the day and you should have plenty of calories left by cake time. Stick with the 5 to 6 small meals throughout the day and that will also help.

Good Luck, you are worth it , just say NO, you can do it.
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    WOW! One day is not going to make or break you...

Enjoy the day, enjoy life...get back on track tomorrow!! JEEZ...people need to calm down on here sometimes.:explode:
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    I had the exact same problem yesterday. I went to a Bday party but did ok. I ate lots of veggies and avoided fried food. I allowed myself to have a small amount of everything I liked (no more than a 1/4cup) and reminded myself that I still needed room for cake. I wanted to return for seconds but the longer I sat arguing with myself (LOL) the more I realized I wasn't hungry.

You'll do fine-just take everything in moderation.
  • knovello82
    knovello82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    LOL Emersoam the problem is every weekend I used to over indulge and completely reverse what I did during the week. My new goal has become to be good over the weekend. But you are right, we still have to enjoy life and what harm can a small piece of cake do ;)
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    ...if it's there I gotta eat it!

Wrong mindset. Look on it as an opportunity to exert some control over your life. Every time you resist a temptation, you get stronger. It feels GREAT saying no to bad foods. All the lesser mortals there will be thinking to themselves, "Wow! She has awesome self control, I wish I could be like her!" No matter what they actually say or do, that's what they will be thinking. Be a role model to them. Bask in the glory of making healthy choices :D

Think of all the hard work you have put into exercising. All the sweat and sore muscles and time you have put into it all.

Lots of people have success in just taking a taste, like one or two forkfuls. Sometimes though, it's easier to just not have any of it at all. Only you will know which way works best for you.

Eat a large healthy breakfast, and be as full of healthy food as possible before you go to the party. Drink LOTS of water all day long. Bring a couple small healthy snacks to munch on if you feel any urges to give in and eat half the cake :D

Most importantly of all, have faith in yourself! You can do it.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    WOW! One day is not going to make or break you...

Enjoy the day, enjoy life...get back on track tomorrow!! JEEZ...people need to calm down on here sometimes.:explode:

True, one day isn't. If you make the conscious decision to indulge this one time, knowing that you could abstain if you wanted to and knowing that the other 29 days that month were made of healthy choices. However, if someone goes into every situation thinking they have to indulge, because they have no choice, then that *can* break you. I've seen it many times.

We all have to beware of rationalizing our way out of fitness and health.
  • Lakerlady5747
    Lakerlady5747 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Really, I think you have to remember that you are making a LIFESTYLE change and that you aren't going to avoid birthday cake for the rest of your life. I think people sometimes get "fed up" and stop eating healthy when they deprive themselves of different foods, especially at celebrations. If you really want to try to make up for it, make sure you workout today before going to the party.

Remember, have fun!=)
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    It was my husband's birthday yesterday. I planned the days calories, going steady during the day and then had some Chinese takeaway. I chose to have two glasses of wine and managed to say no to the cake. it is the first time in my life that I have said no to cake and i felt wonderful doing it.

If you cant resist, have a small piece and get back on track tomorrow. You have to remember this is no quick fix, so one day wont hurt. Just try to cut back a few calories for the next week or exercise. Its the average calories over the week that are important.

Have a great time
  • barberella
    Options
    Ask yourself this: is this the first time you're having cake? Probably not. Is this going to be the last time? Probably not. And if you do have the cake, how are you going to feel after wards? Probably kinda guilty. So, is it really worth it? If you truly wanna change your lifestyle, it comes with sacrifices. And missing out on some cake is going to make you all the more stronger. And one day, it won't even be that appetizing to you anymore. Sure, it may look good, but you know how you will be feeling about yourself if you give in.

I don't wanna sound like the devil's advocate, but with everyone telling you it's okay, have a little, you only live once...well, for me,, I need people to remind me that 'No, cake is what helped me get fat in the first place!" and that helps me. I've asked my bf to help me and when he sees me sometimes try to sneak and go for something I know I shouldn't have, he will literally grab it out of my hand. Sure, I'm pissed for a second, but then reality sneaks back in, and my butt thanks him for it!
  • dunztar
    Options
    I would just eat it... and work out a few hours later. Just don't let it form a habit... you don't have to punish yourself.
  • Margy68
    Options
    If you know you are going to indulge a little then you really must get out there and do some exercise. Just think a nice 60 minute stroll could equal the calories that cake is going to cost you. To me it seems the only way to have your cake and eat it too.
  • dunztar
    Options
    Also if its too cold to go outside and walk you can do plyometrics inside your house. The rule is that TOO much of anything is bad... a slice or two may not be so bad if you workout... but if you are planning on eating half of the cake then I suggest you don't even look at the cake
  • peacemom
    peacemom Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I would eat a small slice too. I've gone to 3 birthday parties in the last 4 weeks and eating a small piece of dessert is the way to go-enough to satisfy, but not enough to ruin your calories for the day. Good luck!:smile: