Bupropion SR 150 mg

Options
does anyone take this as a double dose ( 300 mg ) once a day??

Replies

• mmoon29
    Options
    I take Bupropion Sr 150mg. I take it first thing in the morning when I get up which is usually at 6am and then again eight hours later. I dont take it as a double dose once a day though just twice a day (150mg). Are you having any luck with this medicine? Im having problems with losing weight on this medicine.
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    I take it but I am embarrased to say I dont even know the dose. My doctor put me on it to HELP w/ my weight loss. I don't have depression and I am not using it to quit smoking. She said it helps with the same triggers in the brain that makes you want to continue eating, boredom eating etc. I am taking one pill in the morning and one at night, I can check the dosing later when I go home.
  • johncinarch
    Options
    My husband used to take 150mg twice a day. I am assuming you are taking this for depression. What did you want to know about Bupropion? We usually Google the information on any medicines that we take, ask the pharmacist or the doctor.
  • amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It depends what you're taking it for. I was on an even higher dose than that for awhile but also had issues with anxiety, and at a really high dose it very much worsened the anxiety. 300 isn't an outrageous dose, but talk to your doctor before bumping. Also the 1x per day vs 2 depends on the form of Buproprion. Some are meant to be taken in one dose if I recall correctly. If I took it at night it kept me too pumped up so I always only took it in the morning. Hope that helps.
  • nikos
    nikos Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to take the doses at least 8 hours apart. It has to do with how long the pills take to digest. If you want to take it as a single dose you need to get the extended release, rather than the sustained release. It's a pain to take it twice a day, but I don't think it's good to take them at the same time. Just ask you Dr to switch your script to the XR.
  • REALTORWarrior
    Options
    I used to take this- its also known as Wellbutrin. Its the only anti-depressant that has shown to help with weight loss. But sounds like they are using it "off-market" as a weight loss aid.

When I was taking it, I noticed that I started to drop weight rapidly, but I was also working out, so I think it was a combination of things. After about 3-4 months though, my body "caught on" and started to put on weight again. So sad.

One thing about it is that, like all anti-depressants, you are not supposed to drink alcohol while taking it, but with this one, you can actually go into seizures if you have too much. I never seized or anything, but I did have one experience where I went to a party and had a few and it made me EXTREMELY aggressive. And that's a documented side effect as well.

Its different for everyone.
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I was taking Bupropion 150 mg once a day ( am ), for at least 3 years for major depression. The end of Jan I had a visit with my Dr and we discussed some other things that I was having issues with...possible OCD / ADD. anyway, she told me to double the dose, all at once. So, I did. came home and did a lot of research and it says you should not take it this way > 300mg at once...b/c of possible seizure side affect. I was very concerned so called my dr and the nurse says (after checking with Dr) that it's ok at this level, they have other patients on it. Ok, so I have continued....along with having some regular side affects, all which have been reported to my Dr....chest palpitations, difficulty sleeping, feeling of internal jitteriness, increased anxiety (which I already have), loss of appetite, canker sores and the most bothersome, headaches that come an go. Now, I know it takes a while for meds to build up and the body to get used to the new level. But, yesterday I felt horrible. Headache bad enough to keep me on the couch, nausea and I took my b/p (used to be a medical assistant) and it was 158/98. I was scared I was going to have a stroke. Did feel panic attack coming...but dh said to go relax and take a bath..so I did. b/p was 130/84 afterwards, then bedtime 128/82...still not my norm of 122/74. NOW, another thing I have going on is I am scheduled to have rotator cuff surgery this Thursday. I am fearful something is going to happen. I want to call my Dr again, and tell her what happened yesterday, hoping she might lower my dose????
  • ziesergirl_66
    ziesergirl_66 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I take Bupropion Sr 150mg. I take it first thing in the morning when I get up which is usually at 6am and then again eight hours later. I dont take it as a double dose once a day though just twice a day (150mg). Are you having any luck with this medicine? Im having problems with losing weight on this medicine.

I am currently taking this for major depression, and it seems to help well with that.
  • ziesergirl_66
    Options
    I take it but I am embarrased to say I dont even know the dose. My doctor put me on it to HELP w/ my weight loss. I don't have depression and I am not using it to quit smoking. She said it helps with the same triggers in the brain that makes you want to continue eating, boredom eating etc. I am taking one pill in the morning and one at night, I can check the dosing later when I go home.

I have noticed I don't have much of an appetite, but can't say if it is helping with wt loss.
  • ziesergirl_66
    Options
    I was taking Bupropion 150 mg once a day ( am ), for at least 3 years for major depression. The end of Jan I had a visit with my Dr and we discussed some other things that I was having issues with...possible OCD / ADD. anyway, she told me to double the dose, all at once. So, I did. came home and did a lot of research and it says you should not take it this way > 300mg at once...b/c of possible seizure side affect. I was very concerned so called my dr and the nurse says (after checking with Dr) that it's ok at this level, they have other patients on it. Ok, so I have continued....along with having some regular side affects, all which have been reported to my Dr....chest palpitations, difficulty sleeping, feeling of internal jitteriness, increased anxiety (which I already have), loss of appetite, canker sores and the most bothersome, headaches that come an go. Now, I know it takes a while for meds to build up and the body to get used to the new level. But, yesterday I felt horrible. Headache bad enough to keep me on the couch, nausea and I took my b/p (used to be a medical assistant) and it was 158/98. I was scared I was going to have a stroke. Did feel panic attack coming...but dh said to go relax and take a bath..so I did. b/p was 130/84 afterwards, then bedtime 128/82...still not my norm of 122/74. NOW, another thing I have going on is I am scheduled to have rotator cuff surgery this Thursday. I am fearful something is going to happen. I want to call my Dr again, and tell her what happened yesterday, hoping she might lower my dose????

am on this same dose......have some of the side affects you are, mainly headaches, anxiety, jitters. maybe the 300 is too much all at once. I tried the XR many years ago, and had problems with being groggy all day long...could not function.

I just wondered if anyone was on this same dose and if it was working for them. thanks for all the comments.
  • mmoon29
    Options
    Im taking this medicine for depression also, I dont smoke so Im not taking it for that. Im calling my doctor in the morning because Im not feeling any different. I found that I get aggravated alot easier while taking this. I have been taking it for almost two months now. Im feeling alot worse not any better.
  • JulieTX86
    Options

I have noticed I don't have much of an appetite, but can't say if it is helping with wt loss.

Yea, I just started taking it this week.... I also take adderall though, so I already never have an appetite.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I took it for about 4 months. The doc gave it to me to help quit smoking and to help with some stress reactions from work (150 to start). About a month after I started taking it I had a bad papitation episode while at work. I reported it to the doc and he told me to take a second dose 8-10 hours after the first (total 300). I got very jittery, could not sit still, developed restless leg syndrome that lasted 24/7. I couldn't sleep more than 4 hours at a time (if my legs let me), had difficulty concentrating, and would doze off at stoplights. I craved carbs and gained weight. I was a hot mess! I was still smoking and I was even more agitated at work than without the pills. When I complained to the doc about it he wanted to add another antidepressant to the mix. Uhhh hell no! I slowly weaned myself off of them. I quit the job and got rid of the stress. It has taken about 2 years to feel "normal" again. I still have the RLS at night occasionally. My body reacts strangely to medications most of the time, so I try to avoid anything more than Advil.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I've taken Wellbutrin for about 3 years - 150 mg twice daily. No great weight loss but it does help control your appetite a bit. It is one of the few AD's that doesn't cause weight gain.
  • davistj3
    Options
    I take the 150mg XL one pill twice a day (in the morning & evening) to help me quit smoking. Had no idea it helped with weight loss so I'm excited about that news. I was wondering the same thing though. Would it help more with me trying to quit smoking if I took both at the same time. My mom in law says she takes the 200mg and she doesn't want a cigarette at all. Any advice on the XL??? Can I just take both at the same time?