Treadmill or Bike HELP HELP HELP

Options
Help Help Help!! I am going to buy a workout machine today and I don't know what is better for losing weight.... A treadmill or a pro spin bike???

Please help.... I am stuck and have no clue what to get..... and I am leaving in about a hour to go get one!!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Power-Spin-290-Upright-Bike/14972091

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Weslo-Cadence-G-5.9-Treadmill/14972088

Replies

• eljustino
    Options
    To me, it depends on how well you can motivate yourself. I think one CAN lose just as much weight with either device, but the nice thing about the treadmill is that it basically forces you to keep up. With the bike, you can just stop pedaling whenever you like, or let up a little. On the treadmill, you have to keep going. Sure, you can hit the stop button or step off, but (for me) the treadmill does a better job of helping me push myself a little bit more. (We have both a bike and a treadmill, by the way, so I'm not completely biased.)
  • britt_fit
    Options
    Which do you like better? I wouldn't focus as much on the short run with what will burn more calories. If you don't like it, you'll be really gung ho about using it at first and then you'll hate it. Choose whichever you enjoy more. It'll make your workouts more fun and you won't dread them as much.
  • SaraAnne
    Options
    It depends how intensely you use each. Running burns more cals than biking, but if you're a walker, a bike might be a better option. Have a good workout!!
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I agree with eljustino. I find the treadmill helps me keep going on the days I'm needing a bit of a push. I can burn some serious calories by walking on an incline at a pace of 3.5 to 4 miles an hour. The advantage of a bike is they tend to be easier to move around the house.
  • Lovemydounts
    Lovemydounts Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    the treadmill i do and hour a day and im loseing 3 lbs a week and wii zumba helps. but i would pick the treadmill ,good luck with what u pick.
  • kjc7
    kjc7 Posts: 14
    Options
    I just finished reading a great book called "Ride Your Way Lean". It is all about weight loss thru biking. I would get an actual bike and a trainer (any bike shop will have one). That way you get the benefits of the spin bike, but the joy of an actual bike to get out in the fresh air and ride when the weather is nice. Not sure where you live, but there must be bike clubs. It is a great exercise for body and mind. Great way to make friends too.

Good luck (just finished my morning 5 mile run!). Biking on the trainer is for this evening. :-)

KC
  • jpmajors
    Options
    For home I would choose the treadmill. Much more versatile and it trains you in what you do every day walk or run.. Unless you plan to ride a bike a lot then it would be best to train on a bike.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If you've done spinning, personally I'd get the spin bike. You just have to be able to crank the music on the iPod (or whatever) and pretend you're in a class and work just as hard. ;-) I have both, though, so I guess I have to admit if I was forced to give one up, it would be the spin bike, because for opposite what eljustino said, I can take it easy on the treadmill if I'm having a day where I just want to back off a little, whereas if I get on the spin bike I feel guilty not really pushing it, so I might just skip it on that kind of day. Just me.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    As others said, totally depends on which you enjoy doing. I had a treadmill for years and never used it cause I hated it. Bought a bike and I love it and use it (almost) every day. Pick the one you can make yourself do even when you don't feel like it. :wink:
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    You can burn just as many calories spinning as you can using the treadmill. I prefer spinning, I have been losing 3 pounds a week doing it. Just depends on what you would prefer really.
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have both (diff brands though) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my treadmill! My bike is fine, but honestly it hurts my butt so I don't like it or use it as much. My treadmill has a nice big "dashboard" and I put a lapdesk and my laptop on the console and flip on a movie or TV shows on Hulu and go to town. The distraction allows me to want to stay on and ignore my time. Suddenly (it seems), I have walked for 100 minutes, watched a movie and not hated every minute. Additionally, like someone else said, the treadmill makes you keep up, if you get lazy, you fall back. I have trouble keeping an even pace on the bike and find that I am too up and down on the bike, but totally steady on the treadmill. No matter what you purchase, if you enjoy it and use it, you will burn!

Good luck!
  • im2spooky4u
    im2spooky4u Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If it helps your decision, every piece of Weslo equipment I've had (bike & treadmill) broke right away, I won't ever by anything made by Weslo again. And I was well under the weight limit on them.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    The best way to lose weight is diet and exercise, not exercise alone. I think you can save a lot of money on a piece of equipment that you may get bored with easily and instead use DVDs. I only use exercise DVDs as well as an amazing weight loss program.
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    The best one for you is the one you will use.

Me ... I like a treadmill because I can read or watch a movie for distraction and the treadmill keeps up my pace.
    Two years ago my husband went out to buy a treadmill for us.
    The salesman talked him into an elliptical because it "burned more calories" and "gave a better workout".
    I can't use it because it hurts my knees.
    He doesn't use it because he hates it.
    It's not burning many calories collecting dust in the corner.
    If I had a treadmill, I'd use it daily.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have both, but I think it depends on personal preference. Which one will YOU use more? For me, I use the bike more. I've lost 48 pounds, and inches all over but especially on my upper thighs.
  • Jograd
    Jograd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you have already got a reasonable bike I'd get a mag trainer to put your bike on rather than a cheap excercise bike which may not be very satisfactory. I even prefer this to the spin machines at the gym as they don't seem to prepare me as well for my outside riding.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading a great book called "Ride Your Way Lean". It is all about weight loss thru biking. I would get an actual bike and a trainer (any bike shop will have one). That way you get the benefits of the spin bike, but the joy of an actual bike to get out in the fresh air and ride when the weather is nice. Not sure where you live, but there must be bike clubs. It is a great exercise for body and mind. Great way to make friends too.

Good luck (just finished my morning 5 mile run!). Biking on the trainer is for this evening. :-)

KC

This is a great option. If you have a regular bicycle then i'd buy a treadmill and then in the future get a trainer. It's a lot more affordable then a stationary bike so you'll have the best of both
  • Tonya84
    Options
    Thanks everyone I think I have made my decision.... A TREADMILL it is!! Thanks so much!! Y'alls opinions helped a lot!!

I will let y'all know how I like it =)
  • Triguy83
    Triguy83 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

KC

Agree 100% i ride 3 times a week with my cycling club and we have monthly special rides and holiday rides like superbowl sunday chili cook off ride etc and have a party afterwards. You will make so many new friends and find people to ride with when there are no club rides. I spent 2k on a felt carbon bike and best 2k i ever spent.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If those are your choices(models you linked to) I'd say get the bike. Those cheaper treadmills are cheaper because they do not last.