Would like some friends.....I am a physical therapist with c

Options
Would love to make friends and share my story with others that have had similar experiences.

I am a physical therapist from Wisconsin. I have always been active and healthy which is why I became a physical therapist until 5 years ago. I started to have pain and the more I would exercise the worse the pain would get. I ended up having to stop the thing I love the most which is exercising due to pain. I became depressed and started to gain weight. I got to the point that just getting out of bed and walking in the morning would result in intense pain.

I finally got correctly diagnosed after seeing over 8 doctors in 3/2010 with bilateral congenital hip dysplasia. I just had periacetabular osteotomy surgery for congenital hip dysplasia (Left hip 1/6/11 and Right hip 4/29/10) to help correct the weight bearing forces through both hips.

I am fortunate to have a great background of knowledge to know what exercises I can and can't do. I am ready to start rehab and lose weight to help my hips. I know I will have pain probably off and on the rest of my life but I do not want to get depressed about it any longer. I want to be able to be as healthy and active as I can. I know I will not be able to do high intensity exercises or running but there are several other options available. I also want to get to a healthy weight in order to have a healthier pregnancy when we are ready to have a family.

Thanks for reading.....please add me as a friend.

April

Replies

• jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Wisconsin represent!! I live in Rice Lake. :)

Also I am studying radiography and have done some clinical work with the orthopedics department at Luther in Eau Claire, so I'm a tad bit familiar with hip dysplasia.

Good for you for not letting this set you back. Very inspirational!!
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    April, I am a terror...I know...every time someone asks what exercise they should do that is low intensity but that will help get them in shape, I always champion hula hooping. But truth be told, I've learned that it is one of the best exercises for people who've recently had hip surgery because not only is it low intensity but it also helps keep you from building scar tissue around your hip joints. You could also try a beginner's belly dancing course. I've done belly dancing most of my life and it's an incredible workout and definitely would help strengthen that area for you.

Keep me posted on your progress and good luck!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the hip dysplasia. I had pins placed in my hip when I was in the 7th grade and had them removed 3 years later, due to a hairline slipped femur from the socket. The surgeon told me I would never be able to play full physical contact sports for the rest of my life. So I ended up playing tennis. Though you can't run, it's great to know you have the medical background to aid with your physical activities. I'll add you.
  • Housewife47
    Options
    Housewife 47 is also from Wisconsin. Just trying to exercise and loos weight. Since I'll be on the journey for awhile...I could use friends to help out.
  • Housewife47
    Options
    Housewife 47 is also from Wisconsin. Just trying to exercise and loos weight. Since I'll be on the journey for awhile...I could use friends to help out.
  • Housewife47
    Options
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    It's hard to not be able to do the things you love or want to do. I don't have any hip issues (yet?...), but I'm very overweight and can understand the frustrations of wanting to do something and not being able to do it the way you want to.

You have a great mindset to move forward. You understand your body, so you can already prepare for the types of movements you'll have to go through to get better. I hope everything goes well.

I'll add you as well!
  • NuclearGirl
    Options

Also I am studying radiography and have done some clinical work with the orthopedics department at Luther in Eau Claire, so I'm a tad bit familiar with hip dysplasia.

I am also a Radiographer in the UK. Thanks for sharing your story - glad that things are working out for you, and pleased that you have got your mind focussed. Good luck with your journey - feel free to add me as a friend :smile:
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me to your friends list.
    From Oconomowoc
    Recovering from foot surgery #3. (12/23/10)
  • jaxcpotter
    jaxcpotter Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi April!

Sorry to hear that you are dealing with chronic pain. Coping with pain itself and then adding exercise and dieting to the mix can be stressful. I have great respect for your occupation, a good session with a good physical therapist makes a world of difference to me!

As I read about the workouts that others are doing, I have to maintain the perspective that doing what is within my tolerance range is what is best for me. Ultimately, I do know that as I lose weight I will be able to do more. In addition to PT exercises, I stick to free step on my Wii Balance board as well as a variety of other games on the Wii Fit Plus. For anyone with chronic pain, I think the best advice is to keep moving within your tolerance range!

I'd like to learn more about what others with chronic pain are doing for exercise.

Best of luck to you!
  • kbrob14
    kbrob14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Good for you to take on this challenge, even with the pain your having! I am right next door in Minnesota to you! This is my second time trying the website, and I love it, just need some friends to keep me motivated! :) Best of luck to you!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Hi April!!

WISCONSIN REPRESENT!!

In a NP from just outside of Appleton -- and would love any friends. My weight generally came on through my masters degree and in the first couple of years of my job. I devoted myself to my job, at the expense of anything else in my life, including myself.

I used to hate exercise, now Im a slow runner and I look forward to working out and getting a good sweat on!

Freind me if you would like, I would love to help support you
    (and other Wisconsinites feel free to send freind requests too)

We are about to be snowed in ... hehe!
  • utah_angel1971
    Options
    I am a physical therapist assistant and work in an ortho rehab clinic :) i am new to this thing so dont know how to add a friend but friend me if you'd like. I have PCOS, it doesnt matter how much knowledge and skill you have, we tend to be our own worst patients. But as you know.....this is do-able. This is a great support system. Good luck
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Hi April,
    Girlfriend, I hear your pain!
    Wendy from Westfield here. Im 44 & Ive had multiple back surgeries & my hands too. My carpel tunnel is back in my hands & Im disabled because of my back. Now my neck is compressing, also have issues with tendonitis in hands, to elbows, to shoulders. And dont even get me started on the arthritis! Im a mess! lol
    Anyways, Im VERY limited on exercise too. I'll never be able to do th JM 30 day shred, or anything like that.
    But I am allowed to walk & swim, (& i know i dont have to tell you what an effort that takes just to get out there & do it.)
    Im also doing some swiss ball core exercises for my back & stomach. Some 3 lb weights for my wrists & arms. & some orange & blue bands for my shoulders.
    Ive gained almost 100 lbs since my initail injury/surgery & now my health is in serious jepordy. (excuze my spelling)
    I cancelled ALL my pain meds & now Im here on MFP & ive got to say this is the greatest place to be!
    I feel it, I own it, & im working thru it!.
    In 25 days Ive lost 7 lbs! Thats a big deal for me. I struggled at first, but its coming easier now as long as i stay focused & committed.
    I wish you sucess & a healthy life. You have my support & friendship. Welcome to MFP!!
  • exercisechic927
    exercisechic927 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Hey I work at the clinic in Rice Lake and live in Barron :) Great to have you working towards a medical career! Thanks for the support! Good luck on your weight loss goals too!
  • exercisechic927
    Options
    Hi April,
    Girlfriend, I hear your pain!
    Wendy from Westfield here. Im 44 & Ive had multiple back surgeries & my hands too. My carpel tunnel is back in my hands & Im disabled because of my back. Now my neck is compressing, also have issues with tendonitis in hands, to elbows, to shoulders. And dont even get me started on the arthritis! Im a mess! lol
    Anyways, Im VERY limited on exercise too. I'll never be able to do th JM 30 day shred, or anything like that.
    But I am allowed to walk & swim, (& i know i dont have to tell you what an effort that takes just to get out there & do it.)
    Im also doing some swiss ball core exercises for my back & stomach. Some 3 lb weights for my wrists & arms. & some orange & blue bands for my shoulders.
    Ive gained almost 100 lbs since my initail injury/surgery & now my health is in serious jepordy. (excuze my spelling)
    I cancelled ALL my pain meds & now Im here on MFP & ive got to say this is the greatest place to be!
    I feel it, I own it, & im working thru it!.
    In 25 days Ive lost 7 lbs! Thats a big deal for me. I struggled at first, but its coming easier now as long as i stay focused & committed.
    I wish you sucess & a healthy life. You have my support & friendship. Welcome to MFP!!

Congrats on your weight loss so far! Thanks for sharing your story! It is easy to get off track when you go through all of that pain! You are definately doing the right thing with swiss ball exercises, walking and swimming those are the best exercises for your back definately! You will be preventing a lot of further arthritis in the long run! Good luck on your journey and you have my support especially asking me questions on exercises that are good for you! :) Thanks for the support!
  • raain
    raain Posts: 4
    Options
    Would love to help you out on your journey. This app, has changed my life. Would love to share tips and ideas with you! I live in Illinois, maybe we could figure out how to enjoy dealing with the weather and excersising.

Nichole
  • exercisechic927
    Options
    I am a physical therapist assistant and work in an ortho rehab clinic :) i am new to this thing so dont know how to add a friend but friend me if you'd like. I have PCOS, it doesnt matter how much knowledge and skill you have, we tend to be our own worst patients. But as you know.....this is do-able. This is a great support system. Good luck

YAYA for us in the PT profession! :) I do not know a lot about PCOS unfortunately and I am a women's health therapist! Would love to learn more about your story! Yes I know I am my own worst patient at times for sure :) I always say to myself ok if I was a patient of mine what would I be telling myself :) THanks for the support and you have mine :) good luck
  • exercisechic927
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the hip dysplasia. I had pins placed in my hip when I was in the 7th grade and had them removed 3 years later, due to a hairline slipped femur from the socket. The surgeon told me I would never be able to play full physical contact sports for the rest of my life. So I ended up playing tennis. Though you can't run, it's great to know you have the medical background to aid with your physical activities. I'll add you.

Thanks for sharing your story! Thanks for the support!
  • exercisechic927
    Options
    Hi April!

Sorry to hear that you are dealing with chronic pain. Coping with pain itself and then adding exercise and dieting to the mix can be stressful. I have great respect for your occupation, a good session with a good physical therapist makes a world of difference to me!

As I read about the workouts that others are doing, I have to maintain the perspective that doing what is within my tolerance range is what is best for me. Ultimately, I do know that as I lose weight I will be able to do more. In addition to PT exercises, I stick to free step on my Wii Balance board as well as a variety of other games on the Wii Fit Plus. For anyone with chronic pain, I think the best advice is to keep moving within your tolerance range!

I'd like to learn more about what others with chronic pain are doing for exercise.

Best of luck to you!

The wii is great I think for people with chornic pain because you can modify the exercises to your tolerance and they are a lot that are not high impact. The balance exercises are great for everyone to be doing too they build a lot of strength. I think a theraball is one of the best tools for doing exercises but more for strengthening for people with chronic pain. I use it for almost everyone to develop core stability. As far as cardio it depends on what kind of pain but pool and walking are the best start I think! Thanks for sharing and your support!