Husbands: The good and the bad hehe

Options
My husband is great sometimes and other times I want to kill him... he needs to lose about 50 pounds (much less than I need to lose) but he has this problem with buying large amounts of junk food.

The Good: He bought TWO cupcakes at the store (one for me and one for him) when he went the other day. He went to the grocery store two times this week for me because I was sick and had no appetite. He is supportive of my running and racing and never complains about how much the long runs take away from our Saturday, and he is down in the basement trying to put up my pull up bar (even though he thinks I will never do one ever).

The Bad: He brought home cupcakes, he bought a 50 count box of candy bars (that I have now made him hide), and my favorite.... he bought jumbo size REGULAR syrup even though I had been buying the sugar free and he admitted he liked it. He says to me "Well how much worse could this possibly be" I said about 200 calories... he thought I was crazy ... yep 20 calories for the sugar free and 210 for the regular. Even he admitted that maybe he will give the syrup to his parents.... LOL!

How about you ... what is the good and bad with your husband, boyfriend, significant other etc!

Replies

• fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    The Good: I don't have one.

The Bad:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    The good: he's mostly supportive of my new lifestyle, and doesn't bring home junk food to "surprise" me anymore. Also, he asks before getting fast food to make sure I can get something in my calorie budget, and if I can't, he won't get it.

The bad: he keeps saying that he wants to lose weight, but refuses to make a plan to do it. I personally don't care if he loses weight from an aesthetic standpoint. I would like him to get healthy, but I love him the way he is. But it's irritating how randomly one day he'll complain about the way I've prepared dinner (if something's fried) or he'll just not eat for most of a day, or he'll complain about how fat he is, yet he won't do anything about it. Urg.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    The bad: my husband is diabetic and needs to take better care of himself. He loves junk food too much which certainly doesn't help.

The good: no matter how he feels, whether he is sick, stressed or whatever, he rubs my back every night to help me fall asleep. ( I have fibromyalgia). Love him! :love:

P.S. Even if I tell him not to, he does. I don't ask him or expect him to do it if he's not well, of course.
  • Proudmumofboys
    Options
    The Good, he supports my lifestyle and me going to the gym when I need to.

The Bad, He won't JOIN ME! :( I really could use him either at the gym when he can, or eat like i do.. When i have cereal and fruit, he has icecream and fruit.. come on.. help me out.
  • maeghanalyson
    Options
    The good: He has been taking care of me, the house, and the kids since I have been sick. He lets me sleep when I tell him I have to. He is with me at the hospital every time I have to go (which is alot lol).

The bad: He can have temper. He tells me quite alot about how he wants his wife back. I always just say "i'm working on it."
  • Jess116
    Jess116 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The good: The divorce will be final in 60 days. He's still fat, since he gave up after two months of MFP (ha!). :laugh:

The bad: He has criticized everything I've ever done. I've never been able to live up to his standards, weight or otherwise. :grumble:

Bring on April! :drinker:
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    The good:
    He never once said that I was fat or made me feel bad about gaining weight. For that he is golden.
    He has been supportive and he has complimented me all along the weight loss journey.
    He has listened to me go on and on about calories, nutrition, diet, and MFP.
    He has come home with fish, fruit, veggies, and healthy foods that work with my program.
    He has started walking with me when his schedule permits.
    He never once said I was fat. Have to say that again, cause I was obese.
    Hasn't complained about my need to keep buying clothes that fit when I get smaller.
    And something I love is how his arms reach around me now when he gives me a hug.

The bad:
    He brings home junk food on a regular basis.
    He doesn't take good care of his own health and that worries me.
    He is overweight but hasn't given up his junk food.

As always the good outweighs the bad. I am hoping that as he continues to see how good I feel that he will drop some of the junk food and take care of himself.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    The good he works constantly to keep my family supported. He supports me in all of my adventures. He is funny. He loves me and the kids. He has never cheated. Hes a great dad. He gives me whatever I want when I want it. He never questions my decisions.

The bad he doesnt see me as fat. He doesnt see me as skinny. I dont think my "sex" appeal ever bothers him. He is never ever jealous :/ Every now and again I would like him to be sounds nuts right?
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    The good: He is incredibly supportive. He loves me as I am (in fact, the heaviest I've ever been, 265 lbs, was on our wedding day). He doesn't tempt me with junkfood. He gave me the kick in the pants I needed to get started--I was complaining about how my fave pants didn't fit and he just looked at me and asked me what I was going to do about it.

The bad: He thinks I'm being a bit too obsessive about counting calories, etc. While he's starting to cook healthier, his fave foods to make are generally really high in either sodium or fat. He's got a weird perception of portion sizes so he gets slightly annoyed if I won't eat the three sandwiches he's grilled for me (I would rather have 1-2 depending on the amount of bread and other stuff and then fill up on veg).
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The good; well, he's my fiance and we're getting married in Gretna Green later this year - woohoo!

He's very supportive of my losing weight - but I'm left in no doubt that he loves me no matter what I weigh.
    He's willing to try new things to eat, and we've made some great discoveries - he loves salad if it has a hot dressing for instance, and really enjoys seared haloumi.
    He always tells me look good.
    He admires all the right bits about my new body - the hip bones, the tight buns, the shapely arms.

The bad: we're both still overly fond of cheese and alcohol :-(
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    The good: He is very supportive of my goals, even though they are too low for his personal preferences.
    He defends me when his overweight family teases me about counting calories.
    He honestly doesn't care how much I weigh.

The bad: In an effort to help me meet my 2000 calorie goal, he likes to bring home culver's butterburgers for lunch, coney island for breakfast and then go to J. Alexander for dinner and get popcorn at a movie afterward. The sodium alone will stall my progress.

He likes to pick up bulk macadamia covered chocolate clusters from Costco for me (since I love them and can eat 2 for only 210 calories).
  • firefly6382
    Options
    I am extremely blessed to have an amazing husband who is taking this journey with me!
    He pushes and motivates me to get up and workout with him when all i want to do is sit on the couch and order pizza.
    He has never once made me feel terrible about myself for gaining 140 lbs.
    He has been more open to eating fruits and veggies and trying new foods. which is a huge thing for him. He's worse than a child sometimes! lol
    and thanks to MFP he has become more motivated and is actually tracking his own food.

As for the bad.....
    the only thing I wish I could get him to do is help me with the cooking. It would be nice if for one day I didn't have to worry about planning and making 3 meals.
    but I suppose if that's my only complaint I'm doing pretty good! lol
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    The Good: I don't have one.

The Bad:

Ditto!
  • aigéan
    Options
    I don't have a husband, but I have a boyfriend and I'd like to share!

The good:

He has never once made me feel bad about being fat.
    He tells me I'm beautiful even though I'm not!
    He tells me he loves me just the way I am.
    He told that if being overweight wasn't unhealthy, I could look like this the rest of my life and he'd be happy.
    He always gives me encouragement like "You can go it" kind of words.

The bad:

When we're out together, we tend to eat non-healthy food.
    We don't really have time to work out together because we don't live together.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    The good: He loves my cooking and eats whatever I make without complaint. He doesn't bring me treats (I asked him not to) and he's constantly supporting me in my journey. He always tells me I'm sexy...no matter what my size.

The bad: I can't think of anything HA!
  • PamDW
    PamDW Posts: 246
    Options
    The good: he's mostly supportive of my new lifestyle, and doesn't bring home junk food to "surprise" me anymore. Also, he asks before getting fast food to make sure I can get something in my calorie budget, and if I can't, he won't get it.

The bad: he keeps saying that he wants to lose weight, but refuses to make a plan to do it. I personally don't care if he loses weight from an aesthetic standpoint. I would like him to get healthy, but I love him the way he is. But it's irritating how randomly one day he'll complain about the way I've prepared dinner (if something's fried) or he'll just not eat for most of a day, or he'll complain about how fat he is, yet he won't do anything about it. Urg.

I think you are talking about my husband here!
    Good: Totally supportive of my weight loss even if he thinks I am obsessive (he is used to it I am OC anyway) He is thoughtful of what I will and wont eat, Thankfully he doesnt care much for fried foods.... he makes a killer bean soup... I just have to train him not to put ham in it. He pretty much loves everything I cook and tells the last at home child, one day you will miss this cooking.
    Bad: He is terrible about chipping in with housework... part of it is my OC behavior, when I want it done it has to be done now attitude.. part of it is it just isnt that important. He works fulltime and has his own business as well... and takes care of the finances and outdoor work (accept mowing the lawn (I like to do that) He does not respond to nagging well..
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The Good: He is SUPER supportive, runs better than I do, he is WAY more fit than I am and he works out WAY more than I do, which in turn motivates me to do better. He is in Afghanistan right now, but when he is home, we go to the gym together 6 days a week, lift weights, and REALLY pushes me

The Bad: He really eats horrible food (although his new resolution is to eat well since he has gained about 20 lbs of muscle and is trying to be on body building type ish... He doesnt like to run with me because I run for too long (and he runs too fast for me.. and I don't want to pull him down to my level...) he runs literally 6 minute miles and the fastest I can do is like, a 7:30 if i just do ONE... lol

BUTTT I love him and I can't wait for our baby to come and we can be one little active family :)
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Love this thread, Em!:smile:

Here's my take:

the good: he tells me I'm beautiful all the time; he works his *@s off for me & the kids; he is (mostly) supportive of my ventures; he's funny; he's constantly growing; he is reaching for his own dreams; he is very spiritual; he has never cheated on me

the bad: he is diabetic, which is a HUGE part of our lives; he is a junk food eater; he is gone 75% of the time now (because of work); he does not cook; he is very spotty about workouts;
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    How sweet!!!!
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Although I am male and therefore, not the target audience, I'd like to weigh in on this topic anyway...

The Good: I am extremely fortunate. My wife is a runner and runs half-marathons. She is even considering doing a triathlon with me even though she hates swimming and claims to be horrible at it. She is very supportive, we eat very healthy and respect each other's training schedules.

The Bad: Since we both have to train and we have a 15-month-old son, we don't spend as much time together as we used to. But, we cherish the time we do have and since we'll both be in great shape, we'll have many, many years together.

Also, for those of you who have husbands/boyfriends who are non-supportive or are supportive but bring home junk food, y'all need to help them understand how hard they are making it for you. We all love our wives/girlfriends. Those of us who are married stood in front of God and our friends and family and promised to honor and cherish our wives. What they are doing is neither. Tell them if they want to bring home the junk food, just buy one thing at a time and eat it in the car before they see you. If your husband/boyfriend truly supports and respects what you are trying to accomplish, he'll listen.