Performance / Hydration Drinks

Options
I heard coconut water is very good but what is something good I can do at home to drink during my runs to fuel my body while performing? I am not a fan of buying Gatorade of expensive stuff like that

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Just drink water and then eat or have a protein shake right after to replace electrolytes, help your muscles recover and give yourself some fuel.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I heard coconut water is very good but what is something good I can do at home to drink during my runs to fuel my body while performing? I am not a fan of buying Gatorade of expensive stuff like that

Yes coconut water is very good for you my daughter has a blog called prettystrong.blog i know if you just type in prettystrong her website is I believe the first one if you google it she talks about coconut milk and she is also a throwing coach and recommends to her athletes since throwing and weightlifting are explosive sports. She also puts it in her muscle milk. She has to be fit as she is training for the 2012 Olympics as a an Olympics Weightlifter so she trains 9 times a week and couches 5-6 days a week
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    from my trainer:

In a 32oz bottle, mix
    8 - 10 oz of grape or cranberry juice
    the balance of water
    pinch of salt

it has really made a difference, since drinking just water while working out was not enough to replenish me while weight training.
  • dunztar
    Options
    I was thinking coconut water + a pinch of sea salt + some lime for carbs and a bit more potassium and taste... good idea?
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    oops running you may want water or if it is a long runs you may use the Gatorade if the expense is too much water it down. If lifting coconut milk
  • dunztar
    Options
    My problem with gatorade is that it has so much sugar on it
  • britt_fit
    Options
    If you're running under 60 minutes, you won't need anything but water. Over an hour, I drink gatorade and eat Sports Beans. A lot of people are worried about how much sugar is in it, but the reason there is more is because it's an easily and quickly digestible form of carbohydrate, so when you're long distance running it can be used right away for energy. So watch the sugar in gatorade if you're just consuming it without exercise, but it's great for workouts over an hour. (There's what I learned from my sports nutrition class :smile: )
  • dunztar
    Options
    I only run up to about 45 mins for now... so I guess I am good :)

Thanks